C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

New Superformance Grand Sport

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 12:26 AM
m5extc
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Superformance Grand Sport

Hi Group,

I was refered to this list by a good friend and wanted to announce to all that have not heard yet, that it is official, Superformance IS producing a continuation Grand Sport. This is being done in partnership with Duntov Motor Company and licensed by GM. This is a true continuation car much like their GT40, so the vin numbers will pick up where the originals left off. Superformance is currently buildling these cars and has several orders already. Anyone with more questions is welcome to contact me directly, and if I can't help you I will find the answer for you.

Andrei Fenner
http://www.superformancedistribution.com/Corvette.pdf

Last edited by m5extc; 03-12-2009 at 12:54 AM.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:32 AM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Edit: Oh, never mind. I'll let someone else take this one on.

Last edited by 62Jeff; 03-12-2009 at 12:42 AM.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:43 AM
zr190x
6th Gear

Where's Lockwood??
Old 03-12-2009, 06:32 AM
Shurshot
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zr190x
Where's Lockwood??
Your avatar is hilarious
Old 03-12-2009, 06:34 AM
aworks
Melting Slicks

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Thats a darn good looking roadster in there ad. Nice shot of the eng. comp. and the Traco L88.

Oh yea, I almost forgot I built that car.

The gentleman I sold it to let them take those pics for there ad. Thats also his coupe.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:55 AM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Received 6,536 Likes on 3,006 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by zr190x
Where's Lockwood??
I'm here.

Hard to comment on the Superformance car when what's pictured is from other sources. Both the roadster, built by Brian (Aworks) and the #65 coupe are products of Jeff Leach at Mid America Industries. And the #2 and #12 cars pictured were products of General Motors (even if they didn't know it at the time).

Jim
Old 03-12-2009, 09:49 AM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

If the GS follows in the footprints of their other offerings, it will be a great option for guys who don't want to build their own from scratch!

Superformance is a class act, and their cars have always been first-rate. Their 427 Cobra, and their Daytona Coupe, are beautiful cars and have brought the Cobra kit-car market into the mainstream. Their factory in South Africa is truly a auto enthusiasts dream! These guys are not fly-by-nights who will be here today and gone tomorrow. If they commit to building these cars, I am confident that it will be a firstclass car. they have the financial resources to do it right and I am sure that they will sell a lot of them.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 03-12-2009, 11:38 AM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Originally Posted by John McGraw

Superformance is a class act, and their cars have always been first-rate.
I've seen their Cobras and they are, indeed, well crafted, solidly built vehicles.

It's been my impression, however, that chassis construction and suspension geometry of the Superformance Cobras doesn't replicate that of the original cars. Am I correct?

Jim
Old 03-12-2009, 12:25 PM
zr190x
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Shurshot
Your avatar is hilarious
Wait a minute...are you calling my wife fat?????

Had ya there for a second, didn't I.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:30 PM
aworks
Melting Slicks

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Yes Jim I think you are correct. From what I understand they tend to go with there own suspension on all there cars. Thats not to say there are not top notch but not true to the orig. I think they are going to use the C4 suspension on the GS. But I do not know that for sure.

I will say they will be one of the best remakes of the GS so far. I hope I get to see one at some point. I'm way to cheap to pay for one but it would be nice to just put the drivetrain in and go.

I do miss both my Grand Sports.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:47 PM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by aworks
Yes Jim I think you are correct. From what I understand they tend to go with there own suspension on all there cars. Thats not to say there are not top notch but not true to the orig. I think they are going to use the C4 suspension on the GS. But I do not know that for sure.

I will say they will be one of the best remakes of the GS so far. I hope I get to see one at some point. I'm way to cheap to pay for one but it would be nice to just put the drivetrain in and go.

Brian,

I am with you! I am too cheap to buy one, but it sure would be nice not to have to spend countless hours fabricating stuff to build a car. I would guess that the finished product will be more of a modernized version of the original with some of the bad manners and quirky issues of the original removed to make the cars more drivable.
I can't wait to see what the finished product looks like!

Regards, John McGraw
Old 03-12-2009, 04:01 PM
Dan Hampton
Le Mans Master

Received 1,729 Likes on 811 Posts
2018 C1 of Year Finalist

The SPF Cobra is not even close to the original with regard to suspension but that is not, necessarily, a bad thing. Their cars are very well constructed and the turn key "minus" concept was a great idea.

I never cared for their drivetrain set up, though. It was either the 351W or the 460 Winnebago engine. The Windsor was OK, but the 427 body style should have either the 427 or the 428 as an option. The former two motors were available from Ford Performance. The 427 and 428 are not available from Ford and the 427 is very expensive, especially if you desire aluminum. The cast iron version have been picked over and there are very few good old blocks to work with.

From a marketing point of view, it made perfect sense; however, from a true "replication" standpoint it was a major departure. A very, very good platform, nonetheless.

Last edited by Dan Hampton; 03-12-2009 at 05:25 PM.
Old 03-12-2009, 06:49 PM
m5extc
5th Gear

Originally Posted by aworks

Hi there,

They are not going to be based on the "original" Vette suspensions. It is going to be based on the SPF Daytona Coupe. It will have a tube frame, coil overs and is supposed to have Wilwood brakes.

It is not cheao, but when you look at it from a cost stand point of it being a brand new car, instead of restoring and old car and fixing someone elses mistakes, its not too bad.

Andrei
Old 03-12-2009, 07:24 PM
m5extc
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Dan Hampton
The SPF Cobra is not even close to the original with regard to suspension but that is not, necessarily, a bad thing. Their cars are very well constructed and the turn key "minus" concept was a great idea.

I never cared for their drivetrain set up, though. It was either the 351W or the 460 Winnebago engine. The Windsor was OK, but the 427 body style should have either the 427 or the 428 as an option. The former two motors were available from Ford Performance. The 427 and 428 are not available from Ford and the 427 is very expensive, especially if you desire aluminum. The cast iron version have been picked over and there are very few good old blocks to work with.

From a marketing point of view, it made perfect sense; however, from a true "replication" standpoint it was a major departure. A very, very good platform, nonetheless.
Hi there,

They are now (in the Roadster) available with other engine options. The early word on the GS is SBC, BBC, Z06 & ZR1. I am sure more is to come. See below link to SPF Cobra specs. It may give everyone a little closer idea of what they are doing with the GS.

Andrei

http://www.superformance.com/mkIII_specs.aspx
Old 03-12-2009, 08:23 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Originally Posted by m5extc;1569273702,

They are not going to be based on the "original" Vette suspensions. It is going to be based on the SPF Daytona Coupe.
A "Corvette" based on a "Cobra" chassis????????

That's just disturbing.....

Jim

BTW, Andrei, how about filling out your profile so we know more about you. What is your connection to Superformance, if any?

Last edited by jim lockwood; 03-12-2009 at 08:25 PM.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:13 PM
Dan Hampton
Le Mans Master

2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by jim lockwood

Jim

BTW, Andrei, how about filling out your profile so we know more about you. What is your connection to Superformance, if any?
Jim:

This is what happens when the concept, "hybrid", gets introduced to the automotive world......
Old 03-12-2009, 10:23 PM
jim lockwood
Race Director

Originally Posted by Dan Hampton

This is what happens when the concept, "hybrid", gets introduced to the automotive world......
Now that's funny, Dan.

Maybe it's something more nefarious.... perhaps Shelby's revenge?

Jim

Get notified of new replies

To New Superformance Grand Sport

Old 03-12-2009, 10:38 PM
Dan Hampton
Le Mans Master

2018 C1 of Year Finalist

Believe me, if Shelby could make a buck at it, it will have a Cobra chassis for sure.

Last edited by Dan Hampton; 03-13-2009 at 10:02 AM.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:43 AM
m5extc
5th Gear

Jim

Jim,

I will be honest with you and everyone else on this forum. I am affiliated with a Superformance dealer in Northern California. I am not trying to sell you anything, just make you aware of what is coming out. If you or someone is interested in some more information please contact me. I do have my own day job, I just love the SPF products and wil continue to help the product prosper as much as I can.

Andrei
Old 03-13-2009, 09:36 AM
Shurshot
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jim
Sounds like a sheep being dressed up like a wolf

In all seriousness I know the Daytona coupe was quite an automobile and I am confident that the superprformance version of it is high quality.

However if I ever even sit inside of a GS replica it will be on top of a "vette style" chassis.

Doug

Quick Reply: New Superformance Grand Sport