C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Racing Fuel - yes/no ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 02:45 PM
70GHH
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

JMHO - I'm not a chemist or an engineer so this is strictly seat of the pants experience. I have a stock '66 427/425. If I run straight 93 pump fuel I get detonation under hard acceleration. If I add 5 gals of 110 racing fuel to about 15 gals of 93 pump fuel the pinging goes away.

Garth
Old 10-23-2009, 03:14 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by 70GHH
JMHO - I'm not a chemist or an engineer so this is strictly seat of the pants experience. I have a stock '66 427/425. If I run straight 93 pump fuel I get detonation under hard acceleration. If I add 5 gals of 110 racing fuel to about 15 gals of 93 pump fuel the pinging goes away.

Garth
And yours might be one of the few legitimate instances where high(er) octane gas is appropriate and required for full factory performance. I assume that all components are dead stock, operate correctly and the engine is tuned to orignal specs. If so, and you still experience knock, then your easiest choices are to mix some higher octane gas or back off the timing advance.

What is being discussed here is the myth of high octane gas having miraculous powers that can do everything include solve world climate change. For those that think that increased power will come from more aggressive timing advance, this might be possible if the advance curve was not optimized to start with, perhaps for emissions purpose. The concept of cranking more advance in ad infinitum is false. An over advanced engine will make less power than an under advanced engine even if no preignition is present. 36-38 degrees mechanical is the sweet spot.
Old 10-23-2009, 04:27 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by 70GHH

Garth
I have the identical 'IP' L72 engine and use 93/94 pump premium with zero issues and I can see it could rattle if I crank too much advance into the distributor....and yes it likes the octane of race fuel too...
Old 10-23-2009, 06:42 PM
larrywalk
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by 65hihp
I know the topic has no doubt been covered, probably many times.
But I am a newbie, with my "new" 1965 327/365 hp roadster. My car is running original drive train, with its 11.0:1 compression ratio, and I assume original valve seats. There is a dealer near me that sells 111, 113 or 118 octane leaded fuel, so I can obtain this with no trouble, and I can safely store small quantites of it.
What is the concensus of opinion regarding the value or detriment of mixing in a dose of this when I fill up, with normal 91 grade unleaded gas. Is there any down side for my engine? I am willing to accept the extra cost of the racing gas, and mild inconvenience of getting it, considering the car is a Sunday driver.
Thanking all in advance for your advice.
I've got the same engine in my '65, at 11.1:1 (.020 over) and run 93 octane. If you notice any knock, just pull the timing back a couple of degrees by twisting the distributor (all rpms) or better, at the offending rpm, by adjusting the centrifugal curve with weights or springs, or by adjusting the vacuum advance length or with spring tension.

BTW, the L76 cam had a very late closing intake valve so the dynamic compression ratio (DCR) is quite low and octane friendly.
Old 10-23-2009, 07:51 PM
rgs
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My '67 Fiat 1500 has a thumb screw on the side of the distributor and a scale calibrated for octane. I use to autocross it. I'd adjust the thumbscrew, which changes the timing, for the octane I was using on a given day and would definitely see the difference. For what I was doing, I could take advantage of the higher octane and yes, I could feel the difference in the low end torque when using it.

When dealing with only 1438 CCs, it was easy to feel minor differences.
Old 10-23-2009, 08:04 PM
CWPASADENA
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 65hihp
I know the topic has no doubt been covered, probably many times.
But I am a newbie, with my "new" 1965 327/365 hp roadster. My car is running original drive train, with its 11.0:1 compression ratio, and I assume original valve seats. There is a dealer near me that sells 111, 113 or 118 octane leaded fuel, so I can obtain this with no trouble, and I can safely store small quantites of it.
Leaded race fuel mixed with 91 octane is good for your engine, especially if it does not have hardened valve seats. Your 365 HP will run better and you will be protecting the exhaust valve seats. Here in Southern California, we have some of the worst gas in the nation. No problem storing small quanities in the garage in an approved container but I would not want to carry a can of it in the car. I also find the Leaded Race fuel has a good shelf life if it is in a closed container, much better then our pump gas.

Sense you have a good easy source for leaded race fuel, I would run it. Try 1/4 race fuel with 3/4 pump gas and see how you like it. It alse smells good, a lot better then our pump gas.

Enjoy,

Chris, CWPASADENA
Old 10-23-2009, 08:09 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Anybody ever seen a Corvette engine with burned valve seats due to lack of lead?

Anyone?

Bueller?
Old 10-23-2009, 08:15 PM
CWPASADENA
Racer

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
Anybody ever seen a Corvette engine with burned valve seats due to lack of lead?

Anyone?

Bueller?
YES!

I have seen where the exhaust valves will start to erode into the seats especially if the engine had been run hard.

Chris, CWPASADENA
Old 10-23-2009, 08:42 PM
CWPASADENA
Racer

Originally Posted by Donny Brass
put it in your stock vehicle and you just get better smelling exhaust......

SO WHAT IS WRONG WITH THAT?

Chris, CWPASADENA
Old 10-24-2009, 01:20 AM
GDD
Instructor

Anyone?

Bueller?
Yes, I have
Old 10-24-2009, 01:27 AM
GDD
Instructor

65HIHP - read CW Pasadena's reply - he's right on point - 1/4 - 3/4 is his suggestion. You know I run 1 X 2.5 but I don't think you need that much leaded for your carb car.
Old 10-24-2009, 11:50 AM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,290 Likes on 1,694 Posts

Default Leaded Hi Test blended with the crap fuel

"Since you have a good easy source for leaded race fuel, I would run it. Try 1/4 race fuel with 3/4 pump gas and see how you like it. It alse smells good, a lot better then our pump gas. " CWPasasdena

This advice makes perfect sense to me. I'm all over it.
thanks
Old 10-24-2009, 10:50 PM
Loren Smith
Drifting

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

Irrespective of whether it helps at all, race gas has such a sweet smell. To me, at least. Gives my wife a headache.
Old 10-25-2009, 09:11 AM
65hihp
Le Mans Master

Received 3,290 Likes on 1,694 Posts

Default Sounds good to me

Originally Posted by Loren Smith
Irrespective of whether it helps at all, race gas has such a sweet smell. To me, at least. Gives my wife a headache.
It's perfect then! It'll help ensure she doesn't mess with your baby!
Old 10-25-2009, 04:38 PM
MiguelsC2
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12-'13

Your statement is correct (about resisting spontaneous ignition ).

If an engine does not 'ping' on a given grade of fuel, raising the octane rating will not yield any benefits whatsoever other than possibly helping with percolation issues.

The myth that 'racing gas' will generate more power just won't die.

Quick Reply: Racing Fuel - yes/no ?