C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

starts sometimes yes sometimes no

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 08:50 PM
cmyc2
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starts sometimes yes sometimes no

Needing you help again thanks in advance, sometimes I go out turn the key and the c2 starts right up. I let it run for ten minutes turn it off go back out all it dose is go click one time every time I turn the key. Is this a starter issue? I put in new battery but still having trouble,never has it started like it was having a hard time either it starts right up on just click when I turn the key.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:55 PM
Harps
Le Mans Master

Received 137 Likes on 51 Posts

Is the engine up to normal running temperature when it happens? Is it up to 180* or so at that point?

If so, I'd try swapping the starter and then go from there.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:55 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

When my 62 had this problem, it was a bad battery - however you've already replaced the battery.

Next in line then would be a bad connection somewhere. As the heat goes up, so goes resistance. If you have a marginal connection in the starting/ground circuit, I suppose you may not be getting enough amps to the starter once things are warmed up.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:00 PM
jkuzzy
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 68 Posts

I had this very same problem a few months ago and it was a bad ground cable to the battery. In the meantime, I rebuilt the starter,alternator and replaced the voltage regulator as well so now I should have zero problems.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:26 PM
sparky1340
Instructor

Check the 8-pin connector on the drivers side of the firewall. There's actually two of them. You want the one that connects to distributor,alternator,voltage regulator,etc. Not to the headlights,turn signals etc. Clean terminals on jack and firewall side. My 64 wouldn't start once it reached operating temperature, and stood idle for ten or fifteen minutes. Not even a click, but had ammeter draw. Cleaned terminals. problem gone !
Good Luck !!
Old 02-08-2009, 09:34 PM
midyearvette
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

before you do any diagnosis,,,,,,clean the battery terminals with emory and a wire brush,do this no matter how clean they already look......
Old 02-08-2009, 10:22 PM
uncle427
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by midyearvette
before you do any diagnosis,,,,,,clean the battery terminals with emory and a wire brush,do this no matter how clean they already look......

And be certain your ignition switch is OK, its a lot easier to check and diagnose a problem with than dropping the starter, include in your basic check the connector on the firewall. LOTS of problems cropping up there causing all kinds of erratic symptoms as these cars get older and used less.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:32 PM
Bill Irwin
Drifting

The firewall connector refered to is the one closest to the fender, don't think that was said. Bill.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:52 PM
cmyc2
Instructor

I was under my car today getting ready to take the starter off, I noticed a loose small black wire conected to the block that was loose. I could not see what it was connected to on the other end It looked like it went back up along with other wires. could this be my problem or should I go ahead and take the starter off and have it checked.The started is only about 1.5 years old.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:12 PM
uncle427
Racer

Hi,
Assuming you have a 64, that should be the ground wire for the ignition harness, It should be mounted under a starter mount bolt. It goes directly to the small black plug on the blower motor, then back into harness and over to the wiper motor, and if memory seves, then on to the firewall connector and into the car, thats probably not your issue but you should fix it.
Bill
Old 02-12-2009, 08:25 AM
cmyc2
Instructor

I went back under my 64 yesterday afternoon, found that the wires on the starter were loose I tighten down, hook the battery up the car started right up . I ran the car about 10 minutes or so till it warmed up to 180 degees . I turned it off let it sit about 3 minutes and it started just like it should, did this about 6 times . Then I put my tools away went to start it and all it did was click. The rest of the night it would not do any thing but click. I guess I Should have keep my tools out . Any way if I take the starter off to have it checked will they be able to tell if its not getting enough amps?
Old 02-12-2009, 08:31 AM
uncle427
Racer

Originally Posted by cmyc2
I went back under my 64 yesterday afternoon, found that the wires on the starter were loose I tighten down, hook the battery up the car started right up . I ran the car about 10 minutes or so till it warmed up to 180 degees . I turned it off let it sit about 3 minutes and it started just like it should, did this about 6 times . Then I put my tools away went to start it and all it did was click. The rest of the night it would not do any thing but click. I guess I Should have keep my tools out . Any way if I take the starter off to have it checked will they be able to tell if its not getting enough amps?
Sounds like its time to pull the starter, purchase a new drive/soleniod and intsall it. Or, if its not an original starter, get a quote on a quality rebuilt unit, should not be very $$$

Bill
Old 02-12-2009, 08:42 AM
Shurshot
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cmyc2
Our cars demand our attention as well as the continued presence of tools and soft soap

Sounds like a bad connection to me that maybe you helped some when you tightened things at the starter end........ could easily be something as simple as a battery cable not snugged down on the terminal as tight as it should be.

Put the wrench and a little muscle on the terminal connections (after making sure they are clean) and see if that helps....... they are big enough to take a fair amount of torque.

Good luck

Doug
Old 02-12-2009, 12:55 PM
stingrayl76
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by uncle427
Sounds like its time to pull the starter, purchase a new drive/solenoid and install it. Or, if its not an original starter, get a quote on a quality rebuilt unit, should not be very $$$

Bill
And when you get the starter off, take it to your FLAPS and have them check it out.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:55 PM
ptwohey
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

If you have tried everything else that was suggested and ready to drop the starter, I suggest that you add a Heavy Duty solenoid before putting it back in.
Your car is doing the same thing mine did. I opened the connector at the firewall and found corrosion that I cleaned and greased before reassembly. I also traced the harness and found that it had a splice gone bad so that was repaired. I found “ghost” all over the car and that annoying “starter click” kept haunting me; expecially when I was on a cruise away from the house and tools. Mine is a standard so pushing came in handy.
When I took the starter to the rebuilder, he tested it and nothing was wrong so he added the HD solenoid and a heat shield for it at a total cost of $35.00 and the car has started every time since. This will be the 4th year since that ghost was scared away.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:15 PM
Dream*66*
Instructor

Nobody has suggested that the ground cable may not be grounded properly. Always taken for granted that is bolted to the block or in many cases to the exhaust manifold. I would follow the ground cable from the battery and REMOVE THE BOLT from the block or manifold and clean these surfaces. This has been a problem for many of what people expect from the ground AT the battery connection. JM2C. TC

Get notified of new replies

To starts sometimes yes sometimes no

Quick Reply: starts sometimes yes sometimes no