C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

'61 lower windshield trim

Old 02-08-2009, 11:19 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

Default '61 lower windshield trim

Can the windshield bottom chrome molding (the piece that goes on the windshield just behind the cowl vent) be removed for refinishing without messing with the windshield ? If its just held on by clips what is the best means to remove it ? (See black rectangle in picture)

Somehow I have a nice fat ding in this chrome piece that wasn't there a week ago.
Attached Images  
Old 02-08-2009, 11:25 AM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

to the best of my knowledge NO. When I was installing my windshield I wrestled with that piece a couple of times and it seemed to me that the only way to fuss with that piece was the whole windshield off the car.
Old 02-08-2009, 11:38 AM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by firstgear
to the best of my knowledge NO. When I was installing my windshield I wrestled with that piece a couple of times and it seemed to me that the only way to fuss with that piece was the whole windshield off the car.
Have to agree completely with Herb!

Frank, what are you trying to do?

John
Old 02-08-2009, 12:13 PM
Pilot Dan
Le Mans Master

Received 427 Likes on 317 Posts

Frank, I have had the windshield apart a few times over the years and there is no way that I can see to get that part off by itself. The frame is assembled in such a way that the sides have to come off to release it.

Since you are like me and you enjoy driving your car, my suggestion would be to live with it a while and fix it later as part of your next windshield, or gasket replacement job. Just my opinion. Pilot Dan
Old 02-08-2009, 12:16 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by Plasticman
Have to agree completely with Herb!

Frank, what are you trying to do?

John
John - its just frustrating; every time I take this car out I come home with some new battle scar. I expect the occasional nick, etc. on a driver but seems like I get a serious whack on each outing since the new paint job. I was considering popping this chrome off (if possible) and having it refurbished -- if it means touching the windshield then the ding can just stay right like it is!!!

I drove my two '66 Mustangs all the time and didn't collect so many dings - it must be the shape of the front of the C1s or something...

Frank
Old 02-08-2009, 12:31 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 525 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by fdreano
John - its just frustrating;
I drove my two '66 Mustangs all the time and didn't collect so many dings - it must be the shape of the front of the C1s or something...

Frank
I have not had that issue at all. Must be the area you are driving in.

You need to get to a more serene area. Bill picked up some road scars when he drove up to South Carolina, but we rarely see any problems over here.

John
Old 02-08-2009, 03:07 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Boy - that's hard to believe if you drive I-75 up there at all. Its rife with tractor trailers and in these low slunk cars I don't see how you avoid "road rash" on the front end..

I'll start running my C1 'bra' I guess but that is partial protection at best...

Get notified of new replies

To '61 lower windshield trim

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '61 lower windshield trim