C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Optima Batteries

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 11:50 PM
StingU2
Safety Car

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

Default Optima Batteries

Optima batteries... who of you have them installed in your cars? What is a good size for a C2... Red Top or Yellow Top. Pro's and Con's.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:54 PM
vintagecorvette
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I have a red top Optima in my Resto Rod 1957. I got it at Costco on a deal. I am not sure of the size. I will check if you want.

oWEN
Old 01-31-2009, 12:01 AM
StingU2
Safety Car

oWEN... let me know what the size is.

Bruce
Old 01-31-2009, 12:26 AM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

I just put a red top in my 62, 2 weeks ago.

part number 8004-003, model 34/78. It fits perfectly even with the factory battery hold down and heat shield.

Oops, brain fart - you asked about the later cars.

Last edited by 62Jeff; 01-31-2009 at 08:58 AM.
Old 01-31-2009, 12:38 AM
BlackbirdZ07
Safety Car

Received 199 Likes on 128 Posts

They used to be really good, but no more. I believe another company started making them for Optima a few years ago. I've had three fail within two years. Some swear by them, some swear at them. I had one of the old ones in a Cobra replica (not driven much) for over seven years and it was still going strong when I sold the car, but they're not the same anymore.
Old 01-31-2009, 02:02 AM
LT1driver
Le Mans Master

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

don't walk away from them but RUN, they are no good especially if the car sits for a period of time, check out c5 forum and see the problems they have
Old 01-31-2009, 08:12 AM
ctjackster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackbirdZ07
They used to be really good, but no more. I believe another company started making them for Optima a few years ago. I've had three fail within two years. Some swear by them, some swear at them. I had one of the old ones in a Cobra replica (not driven much) for over seven years and it was still going strong when I sold the car, but they're not the same anymore.
bad, misinformation there. not your experience, which I don't question, but your advice as to the manufacturer of Optimas

Optima Batteries are made by Johnson Controls and have been for at least the last 7 years - JC was also the company that made the Die Hard batteries for Sears a number of years ago, when those were good batteries. Then Sears switched for a time, and the DieHard brand suffered. Now, I believe the Sears house batteries are again made by JC. They also make some house-brand batteries for other places, and it is not a bad idea to buy batteries made by JC.

As for the OP's question, I have a red top Optima in my 65, a red top in my wife's 03 Envoy, a red top and a yellow top in my 08 Avalanche (and ran the same set-up in my 02 Av), and two Blues in my Sea Ray. Never had a problem with ANY of them. Can't say the same for the batteries I used before I became an Otpima fan in 02. I have no tolerance for failure in batteries - that cannot be overcome with any sort of McGuyvering!

Last edited by ctjackster; 01-31-2009 at 09:12 AM.
Old 01-31-2009, 08:21 AM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by ctjackster
...Never had a problem with ANY of them. ...
I've found that once an Optima gets drained, it's hard to recover it, so I use battery cut-off switches in most of the cars that have the optimas

However, I also find that I can leave my cars in storage, unattended, for 6, 8, 12 months at a time and as long as I disconnected the battery when I parked the car, the car will still start right up the next time I need to use it.
Old 01-31-2009, 08:53 AM
Tripleblack51
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

Originally Posted by StingU2
Optima batteries... who of you have them installed in your cars? What is a good size for a C2... Red Top or Yellow Top. Pro's and Con's.
I put an Optima Red Top in my C5 a year ago. So far,so good.
With batteries, cars, or anything else on a large forum like this one, there will be a few people that had a bad experience.
Overall, I believe the Optima is a good product and have one.

That being said, I have a Sears Die-Hard in my '67...another good product!

Good luck with your decision!
Old 01-31-2009, 09:29 AM
1snake
Le Mans Master

Received 652 Likes on 446 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1driver
don't walk away from them but RUN, they are no good especially if the car sits for a period of time, check out c5 forum and see the problems they have
I had one in my C5 and it had to be replaced twice in 2 years. The local auto parts store quit carrying them because of warranty issues. They said about half of them came back. Some love em', more hate em'.

Jim
Old 01-31-2009, 10:00 AM
ctjackster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Tripleblack51
With batteries, cars, or anything else on a large forum like this one, there will be a few people that had a bad experience.

Sears Diehard also now made (again) by JC.

Here's the thing - before any poster slams a particular brand of battery as being bad, or prasies one for being really alot better than some other brand, be it Optima, Sears, Duralast (AutoZone), Interstate, Kirkland (Costco), Motorcraft (Ford), Champion, Napa, EverStart batteries, whatever - you need to know that all batteries are basically made by one of three main manufacturers - Exide, Johnson Controls, and Delphi. As for Exide, they were the company that made the Diehard for a while in the 90s, when that brand suffered a terrible loss of reputation. It has usually been a good rule of thumb to buy a battery made by Johnson Controls - they are viewed by many as the best of the three. By the way, all three companies make the Everstart (Walmart) batteries . . . .
Old 01-31-2009, 10:22 AM
StingU2
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Tripleblack51

Thanks Tripleblack

I spoke with a friend that has an Optima Red Top in a '69 for four years with no bad issues. He said the salesman told him that the Optima was maintence-free with a long service life. also the battery is very functional even after months of non-use.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:37 AM
Klondike
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 89 Posts

Is there any way to tell by looking at markings on the battery, which company made it? My buddy put an Optima battery in his C5 about 3 years ago and it was still strong when he sold the car. He just put one in his Pantera about a year ago and the thing is constantly going DEAD! The C5 has all kinds of things that still use the battery while the car is turned off, but that old Pantera is totally disconnected when it is off. I'm thinking he got one made by the good guys and the other made by the turkeys.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:52 AM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I used both red and yellow top. Had problems with the red, but the yellow never failed. I vote yellow top
Old 01-31-2009, 11:02 AM
ctjackster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Klondike
Is there any way to tell by looking at markings on the battery, which company made it? My buddy put an Optima battery in his C5 about 3 years ago and it was still strong when he sold the car. He just put one in his Pantera about a year ago and the thing is constantly going DEAD! The C5 has all kinds of things that still use the battery while the car is turned off, but that old Pantera is totally disconnected when it is off. I'm thinking he got one made by the good guys and the other made by the turkeys.
Optima has always been made by JC, it's their high end house battery I believe . . . .
Old 01-31-2009, 11:12 AM
ironarms
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05-'08-'09

i have a red top in my 66 put it in last spring, so far so good
Old 01-31-2009, 11:55 AM
roger newman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an account at Interstate Batteries, an when I went to get a battery for my Vette the tech asked about used Red Tops.
As it turns out here in Portland the ambulances change there batteries every year no matter what.
He charged me $25.00 for a red top and have no problems. Except when I broke my engine in at 2500RPM
for 25 minutes with a cheap set of headers and no heat shield on the battery. I now have a few blisters

Get notified of new replies

To Optima Batteries

Old 01-31-2009, 12:05 PM
Tonytz06
Pro

$58.00 Wal-Mart battery, I have three of them in different vehicles and just replaced one aqfter four years.
Old 01-31-2009, 12:13 PM
Brian VH McHale
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 185 Posts

Don't forget these people, www.eastpenn-deka.com
Old 01-31-2009, 12:25 PM
midyear1
Instructor

Originally Posted by Klondike
The NAICS system has replaced the old SIC system for industrial classification and manufacturer. Preparation for the coming merger of the U.S., Canada, and Mexico as an EU competitive economic entity. Here's the system explanation:

http://www.insitepro.com/hedden1.htm

Here's the deciphering of the numbers on the UPC barcodes:

http://www.tkb-4u.com/code/barcode/upc.php

The Johnson Controls barcode ID should be 21112, according to the information here:

http://upcdata.info/?code=721112775357

Seems the Moody Blues were prophets, we are all "magnetic ink".

Quick Reply: Optima Batteries