C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

64 Brake Master Cylinder - Replace or Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 01:18 PM
hokie04
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 64 Brake Master Cylinder - Replace or Rebuild

I have removed the master cylinder below and it appears to be a reproduction of the original because it doesn't have the bleed valve on the side and it doesn't have the manufacter name on the bottom. It does have the correct number I think for 64. The cylinder is pitted pretty bad and would need to be sleeved. Since it is not the original what would you do? Just find another reproduction, replacement or rebuild?

Old 01-10-2009, 02:29 PM
W64N
Intermediate

Your master cylinder might be original. I welcome a correction here, but I don't believe the base equipment cylinders in 1964 had a bleeder screw. My older edition (1993) of the NCRS Judging Manual for 1963-1964 states that the 1963 cylinders did not have the bleeder screw. It does not mention the bleeder screw in the 1964 description. The 1964 Shop Manual shows a Bleeding Adapter which fits over the fluid reservoir. The NCRS description for the 1964 cylinder states that "original master cylinders have a 7/8 inch bore which is debossed into the front of the casting. The bottom side of the cylinder contains the casting number 5464264 and the Delco Moraine logo. A casting date in the format MDDY is also located on the bottom of the casting." I had mine sleeved by a shop I found in Hemmings Motor News several years ago. Hope this helps.
Old 01-10-2009, 04:05 PM
Jalopy31
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

I believe the bleeder screw was only on the power brake master cylinders. The NCRS Judging Guide notes the bleeder screw only on the power brake master cylinders.

I have two 5464264 master cylinders (from non power brake cars) and both are similar to yours - neither has the bleeder screw. Photo of one of them follows:

Todd
Old 01-10-2009, 05:17 PM
hokie04
Burning Brakes

It appears I have the original master cylinder on my car. The bore of the cylinder feels rough and there was rust inside the bore. Where could I go and get a stainless steel insert in my unit. Most of the sites I have gone to sell you an exchanged unit. I wonder is this something a local machine shop could do and then I could rebuild it? These one piston units look pretty simple.
Old 01-10-2009, 05:35 PM
Donald #31176
Melting Slicks

Received 163 Likes on 143 Posts

White Post or Apple Hydraulics can rebuild and sleeve your MC. Apple will sleeve your MC with SS if thats all you want.
Old 01-10-2009, 05:37 PM
Jalopy31
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

I've heard mostly good things about the folks at White Post restorations in White Post, Virginia, although I have no personal experience dealing with them.

One member on the NCRS Forum recently posted that he was not pleased with what they had done for him, but I was still thinking about sending them one of mine to bebuild.

Todd
Old 01-10-2009, 05:46 PM
Powershift
Race Director

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,307 Posts

Yesterday I posted a list of 5-7 places that should be able to sleeve a Corvette master cylinder. See "66 Master Cylinder Rebuild Update".

Lonestar Caliper, Muskegan Brake, or White Post Restorations may be your be best bet. Tell them you want YOUR ORIGINAL UNIT returned. It may cost more and take a bit longer, but I would think they will comply. I know for a fact White Post will.......however their work has mixed reviews the last few years. Your choice.

A local machinist cannot do....at least I would not want to be his first job. Your car brakes are to important.

At one time, I think there were oversize rebuild kits available for master cylinders. But the demand for these is pretty low now days, and I would be surprised if you find one. You might inquire at NAPA or go on-line. I think that these kits allowed for slightly oversize pistons/o-rings based on metal lost from honing the main cylinder smooth. But I haven't heard or seen anything on this in over twenty years.

Larry
Old 01-10-2009, 07:51 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,859 Likes on 1,102 Posts

Originally Posted by hokie04
it appears to be a reproduction of the original because it...doesn't have the manufacter name on the bottom.
The "split circle" casting symbol is the Delco logo.

Get notified of new replies

To 64 Brake Master Cylinder - Replace or Rebuild

Quick Reply: 64 Brake Master Cylinder - Replace or Rebuild