C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Header Wrap on sidepipes

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 05:45 AM
CabSav
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Header Wrap on sidepipes

I did a quick seach for this, but didn't find the answer.
Has anyone used fibreglass header wrap on sidepipes to help stop them passing heat to the interior?
After a not-so-long drive on a 90* day, the sill plates on my 66 BB are nearly too hot to touch!
What's the long term effect if I do it, will they rust out premiturely?

Peter
Old 01-02-2009, 06:39 AM
midyearvette
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

wow that's weird.......i know we have used header wrap in the past and yes it did seem to promote rust on a set of hedman headers that were not coated. i personally have never heard of that much heat generated from side pipes. maybe others have on this forum.....peter, have you checked your engine timing?? advance weights working properly??....just a thought...good luck
Old 01-02-2009, 09:17 AM
67pete
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Check the spacing on the pipe to shield clearance. Adjust it (the pipe) away from the shield as far as possible, this will cool down the temp of the shield.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:20 AM
ironarms
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05-'08-'09

when i had Stahl make my headers and side pipes he told me if i used any type of wrap on them it would void any warranty , He told me they hold the moisture in promoting corrosion .
Old 01-02-2009, 12:03 PM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,336 Likes on 968 Posts

Default Wrap

I used the wrap on my 68 under car exhaust and it does cool down the floor. I also put the wrap on my 66 side pipes. It does keep the sills from getting really hot. Make no mistake, they still get hot. Jerry
Old 01-04-2009, 01:04 AM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Even though it may radiate a bit more heat, I'd try to get BLACK tape so it wouldn't show through the vents in the covers.

If I was going to do it. I immediately thought of the moisture/corrosion issue that happens even in a hot underhood situation.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:28 AM
JoeCool66
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

When I lined my floor with sound deadener / heat barrier (I used RAAMmat ), I put a double layer on the inside floor wall next to the sill. I used their 1/8” think foam in-between to create an air layer. I also put a double layer of foil on the underside of the sill itself (no foam). Not noticeable once assembled and it did help reduce the temp of the sill and surrounding area.

/joe
Old 01-06-2009, 03:39 AM
CabSav
Instructor

Thank you Gentlemen for all your comments, it really makes a difference to hear your thoughts.
All the best for '09.
Peter
Old 01-08-2009, 11:25 AM
oldandtired
Heel & Toe

I addition to checking timing, you may want to check if you are running too lean. I've even seen headers glow red from a too lean condition.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:54 AM
midyearvette
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by oldandtired
I addition to checking timing, you may want to check if you are running too lean. I've even seen headers glow red from a too lean condition.
right you are..i think he should check all the above because i have never seen that much heat at the sills as others have posted, neither have my friends with side exhzust..
Old 01-09-2009, 06:47 PM
CabSav
Instructor

Thanks Gents, I hadn't thought of timing & mixture as contributors, my experience with is with motorcycles & headers on motorcycles regularly run red hot or very near, but as it happens I have lots of parts on order to correct some of the problems with my distributor, problems like too much end float in the shaft & springs that give me all advance in by 1900rpm. Then I'll hook up my dandy home-assembled Jaycar fuel mixture meter and go through the jetting. I've only just fixed a bad "under heavy acceleration" missfire, my Holley had a plug inplace of the power valve.

Thanks for the pointers gentlemen.

Get notified of new replies

To Header Wrap on sidepipes

Quick Reply: Header Wrap on sidepipes