C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

The garage in winter - so it goes.........

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2002, 09:45 PM
magicv8
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Default The garage in winter - so it goes.........

Working in the garage in winter? Oh yeah, well, you know how it goes. I knocked out the left rear wheel bearings, repacked them, cleaned painted and waxed the suspension, caliper, and backing plate, them polished the LH exhaust - put the wheel back on and took the RH rear wheel off. As I am removing the caliper, the bottom is slimey. Uh oh. Leaking dot5 fluid after 13 years. Back to the left side tear off the wheel and caliper, box the calipers, and send them to Vette Brakes for a reseal and refurbish.

I probably should have sent them when the fronts came up leaking two years ago, but I had just put the engine in the car, and I was in a hurry to try it out. Now that I have the brake fluid out of half of the system, I will probably install the rebuilt master cylinder (for a 67) that I picked up last summer. The master cyl in the car is not a Corvette piece. Vette Brakes threw it in when I got 4 calipers 13 years ago, and since both front and rear calipers have started leaking......

The good news is that my Chevy dealer came up with old Anco refills for my 66 Mustang wiper blades, which are now on the Corvette. I am happy to have wipers with wind deflectors on them, as I often run faster than 80mph in the rain, and the Corvette Trico blades lift at 75mph.

All that's left after I get the fanny back together is a soft plug , new antifreeze, new rear speakers (so my wife doesn't complain), new cupholder and console shield (I just bought from Corvette Central), new rivets in the spare tire tub cover, and another upgrade to the security system (to cover the removal of the paging alarm system).

Working on an old Corvette is the only thing that is nearly as much fun as driving one.

How are YOUR winter projects going? Are you having fun yet? Are you broke yet?
Old 01-18-2002, 11:18 PM
6T5RUSH
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 118 Likes on 97 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Re: The garage in winter - so it goes......... (magicv8)

Magicv8k,

My winter projects are in my mind for the moment. Soon as I'm back home (visiting my son just outside of South Bend, IN) I'll be wrenchin' away. My immediate list is:

1. Put my drivers door back together...don't know if you remember my sheepishly cracking the door a few months ago rolling the '5 out of the garage. Got it back from the paint shop. They did an excellent job color matching my 2 year old paint. Didn't realize how tough it is to blend in urethane paint vs. laquer.

2. Pull the console out and side panels to access the radio. Pull the stock radio and speaker out and replace same with an AM/FM Stereo Cassette (CD ready) Christmas gifts from my sons.

3. While that's out, finally figure out how to hook up the antenna switch.

4. Might as well drop the steering column, pull the dash cluster away and hook up all the bulbs I didn't hook up properly...getting tired of watching the gas gauge flash when I use the left turn signal. :jester

5. Remove the stock shifter and install a Hurst Comp Plus. Plan on reinstalling my stock handle.

6. I'm savin' the best in my list till last (probably will do this first). :D Swappin' out my stock 3.36:1 OPEN rear carrier for a 3.70:1 POSI.

You know I'll be having fun on this hit list. Oh, and yeh I'm broke but I can see all of it in front of me...you give up something to get something!!!
:)

Jim

[Modified by 6T5RUSH, 9:20 PM 1/18/2002]
Old 01-19-2002, 03:55 AM
Z062
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone without a "todolist", really doesnt understand. I just wish mine wasnt so long.

I have to list it in big chunks, I would list it in more detail but, you know.

1 powder coat the frame
2 powder coat the components waiting to be assembled to the frame
3 rebuild the suspension after powder coating
4 rebuild the engine and trans
5 do the drum to disk conversion, single to dual master cylinder
6 try if possible to engineer power steering
7 drop the body back on the restored frame
8 get the body painted with final coat
9 restore guages and interior.
10 enjoy driving it

10 makes it all worthwhile.

Cya :cheers:
Old 01-20-2002, 09:30 PM
57Vet
Instructor

My list is primarily cosmetic as I get her ready for show season which kicks off around here in Mid-Febnuary {which they optimistically call the "sping Show". My car needs under-the-hood detailing work which includes blackout painting, pulling the intake manifold and having it blasted. Also paint the engine Chevy Orange as best I can without pulling it, general cleaning to remove oil and dirt from the compartment, replace some frayed wires which will become accessible when I remove the distributor. I've already started repainting the wheels. Also on my list, but not for-sure this winter is to send my twin Carter 4-BBlLs off to a pro for rebuilding and slow detailing. That'll set me back about $700!

And intersperced in all this I'll be taking some fair weather drives. Today was sunny in the rockies so I got her out to stretch her legs even though it ws only 30 degrees!

Mike
Old 01-21-2002, 10:55 AM
GaryC
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Re: The garage in winter - so it goes......... (57Vet)

Mike,

What and where are the shows that start in February?

BTW, my winter project is to complete whatever it takes to drive the coupe for the FIRST time after four years of rebuilding the whole thing! (I can't wait.) :D

GaryC
Old 01-21-2002, 11:55 AM
yooperod
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A picture is worth a 1000 words, here's one of the '74 "in progress"
Rod.

[Modified by yooperod, 9:57 AM 1/21/2002]
Old 01-21-2002, 05:01 PM
6T5RUSH
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 118 Likes on 97 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Re: The garage in winter - so it goes......... (yooperod)

Hey Yooperod,

That picture gives a new meaning to "ground zero". Seriously, now that it's all apart, the fun starts!

Keep us posted on your progress.

Regards,

Jim
Old 01-21-2002, 05:17 PM
yooperod
Burning Brakes

Default Re: The garage in winter - so it goes......... (6T5RUSH)

It's going pretty well. The wife wants to drive it in the spring, That picture was from dec 15th, I'll post another in few weeks.
rod
Old 01-21-2002, 11:11 PM
magicv8
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Re: The garage in winter - so it goes......... (6T5RUSH)

65trush - Your list is ambitious and strangely familiar.

halfa62 - are you restoring the car (for the show circuit) - wow.

Another day in the garage - More bad stuff today - the seal on the RR spindle let crud in and the bearing locked and spun on the spindle. I now have my Chevy dealer getting me a new $178 spindle and bearings and seals. I really am glad I decided to repack the bearings (every 55000 miles - whether they need it or not - hahahahaha). It's hard to keep the wheel side down if the wheels come off at 85mph in the mountains, and spindles are cheap at that point. :eek:

I am glad Chevy still sells these parts - at least I'll have them in a couple of days. The KYB KG5501 shocks I ordered last month are now back ordered at Advance Auto. :rolleyes:

[Modified by magicv8, 9:14 PM 1/21/2002]
Old 01-22-2002, 10:16 AM
INMYBLOOD
Le Mans Master

Location: The problem is all inside your head she said to me.

Work on details.

1) Take doors apart, clean, fix any pulled out holes, reinstall hardware, install new garnish and end cap mouldings on doors.

2) Install hood pop up's. They have been missing. Hopefully I will never have to type" help my hood is stuck how do I open it." :lol:

3) Replace ammeter face and guage plastics. Install new pigtails on tail lights.

4) Shorten Hurst shift lever.

5) Attach passengers side wiper cables. Test. Buy new wipers and arms.

6) Buy and install a speedometer cable. Make it work.

7) Buy and install reflector bezels. Try to polish up all other stainless parts.

8) Inspect all running gear. Install disc brake/dual master cylinder conversion.

9) Trunk board and mat.

10) Replace coil, wires, and distributor cap. Heater hoses.

11) Weather strip around windows and soft top.

12) Drive it as often as possible.
Old 01-22-2002, 09:15 PM
Z062
Racer

MagicV8

I am planning to detail as much as I can, including all of the suspension and frame. I recieved my NCRS Judging guide today and I will try to follow the color specs as closely as my personal taste permits. I am looking to keep it somewhat correct, but it is more for me than to be judged. It is only that if I have to paint something, it might as well be the correct color. My car is down to the frame right now, about the same as the posted frame picture. I am going to grind on it tomorrow and try to get it over to the welder to replace my battery tray, the rear crossmember and where one of the engine mounts broke off from a poor factory weld.
Old 01-22-2002, 10:48 PM
BC66
Instructor

Default Re: The garage in winter - so it goes......... (half-a-62)

magicV8 I posted some bad photos of mine that actually look a little better in the home page area.
I'm starting to assemble it now. I hope to have the block ,crank & heads back from the machine shop within the next 2 week so I can put the engine back together, drop the body on ,then make it drivable. All before spring and then if there is time prep & paint it. Followed by redoing the interior,
Yeah Right Bruce

[Modified by BC66, 8:50 PM 1/22/2002]

Get notified of new replies

To The garage in winter - so it goes.........

Quick Reply: The garage in winter - so it goes.........