C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Used Distributor...??

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 07:36 PM
Kurt G.
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Used Distributor...??

65' vert 327/365. Bought a used tach drive distributor from a Corvette Shop here. It already had Pertronix in it. QUESTION- can a distributor be "bad"?? I figure this thing was laying in his used parts bin for a reason. It was obviously removed from another Corvette for a reason....The guy at the shop said it was ready to go and I would just have to drop it in... Everything else on the new motor seems dialed in... carb, cooling sys, valve lash etc......but the motor acts as if it is not unleashing its full potential.... Timing has been dialed in ( as mentioned in my previous posts) so I'm just wondering if the distributor could still be the culprit? I re-read this thing and I sound like I'm rambling again.....sorry guys.
Old 11-26-2008, 07:39 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

The advance weights and springs can have an effect on how it performs.

Additionally - what Pertronix unit is it, and how do you have it wire? What coil do you have? My diagram below should help you see what is preferred for the Pertronix II module.

Old 11-26-2008, 07:44 PM
Kurt G.
Racer

Thanks for the quik reply Jeff... Yes, I wired it as you showed in a previous post on Pertonix (thank you). I'm using a stock coil. I'm not sure what type of Pertronix it is...it looks like a magnetic loop if I remember from when it was out of the car...

Last edited by Kurt G.; 11-26-2008 at 07:46 PM. Reason: left out info
Old 11-26-2008, 07:52 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurt G.
Thanks for the quik reply Jeff... Yes, I wired it as you showed in a previous post on Pertonix (thank you). I'm using a stock coil. I'm not sure what type of Pertronix it is...it looks like a magnetic loop if I remember from when it was out of the car...
Ok, sorry for repeating myself then :-) with the same diagram.

The only reason I asked about the Pertronix model, was because I've only worked with the Pertronix Ignitor II, and that is all my wiring diagram is intended to represent. I'm not sure how the Ignitor I gets wired.

The one in my 65 is the magnetic ring like you describe, and it's an Ignitor II.

I am NOT a distributor guru, but I'd start by removing the rotor, and checking that the advance weights are operating smoothly. Also confirm your vacuum advance is working properly and has the correct operating parameters for your engine.

Each vacuum advance has unique characteristics for when it starts to come in (how many inches of vacuum) and when it's fully in.

BarryK, Lars, JohnZ, Plasticman, DZAuto, etc. etc. etc. are well versed in the science of that stuff - me I just know how to use PowerPoint to make a pretty diagram.
Old 11-26-2008, 08:21 PM
chris ritchie
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

Yes, the distributor could be a problem.

1. When you timed it, did the timing mark jump around? Or, was it steady? If it jumped around, the distributor's clearances could be excessive. Could be time for a rebuild. Which could be why it was removed from the other vehicle.

2. Make sure you've wired it correctly as shown in the diagram posted.

3. Most likely cause of sluggish performance is the advance curve. Look in the archives for articles on timing and advance curve by John Hinckley, Lars, Duke, et al. Or send it somebody with a Sun machine.
Old 11-26-2008, 09:01 PM
Kurt G.
Racer

Thanks again guys !! I'll get this @#&*@#+ thing figured out if it kills me....

Get notified of new replies

To Used Distributor...??

Quick Reply: Used Distributor...??