C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Replacing Temp sending unit.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 11:53 PM
Kurt G.
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Temp sending unit.....

Used the IR gun and found the sending unit is reading 25 to 30 degrees higher than actual temp.......SO- where can I find the particular sending unit I've seen mentioned on the forum?? TU-5 or something like that... AND- do I need to drain any coolant prior to removing the old sending unit?? Thanks very much for any advice..
Old 11-20-2008, 01:07 AM
65 vette dude
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

You can buy it at Auto Zone. It use to be the Wells TU5. I think they now call it their store brand name which is Duralast. It worked for me. You don't have to drain your coolant to change the sending unit.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:24 AM
babbah
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 103 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by 65 vette dude
You can buy it at Auto Zone. It use to be the Wells TU5. I think they now call it their store brand name which is Duralast. It worked for me. You don't have to drain your coolant to change the sending unit.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:20 AM
ctjackster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurt G.
Used the IR gun and found the sending unit is reading 25 to 30 degrees higher than actual temp.......SO- where can I find the particular sending unit I've seen mentioned on the forum?? TU-5 or something like that... AND- do I need to drain any coolant prior to removing the old sending unit?? Thanks very much for any advice..
buy two, I had to try more than one to end up with one that works well-enough with my temp gauge to provide basically accurate readings.

PS - I am glad you may have found the temp gauge readings themselves to be the issue, rather than a persistant run-hot condition as you first feared:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...questions.html

Last edited by ctjackster; 11-20-2008 at 10:22 AM.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:02 AM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ctjackster
buy two, I had to try more than one to end up with one that works well-enough with my temp gauge to provide basically accurate readings.
when the original temp sender went bad on my '65 I bought a Wells TU5 as recommended by people on here. It read a full 40º too high.
They seem to be hit or miss on whether or not you will get one that reads accurate.
I ended up finding a guy locally that had a couple used original GM temp sender units and bought them. After measuring the OHM's with a meter I choose the one that read closest to what it should be and used it. It's accurate within about 7º. Not perfect but a whole lot better than the 40º off I got with the Wells TU5.
Other people have had luck getting a TU5 units though that worked for them so like I said, it seems to be hit or miss.
Old 11-20-2008, 02:03 PM
Kurt G.
Racer

Thanks for ALL the replies.......
Old 11-20-2008, 02:06 PM
Kurt G.
Racer

Originally Posted by ctjackster

PS - I am glad you may have found the temp gauge readings themselves to be the issue, rather than a persistant run-hot condition as you first feared:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-a...questions.html
Yeah, I was driving myself nuts trying to figure this thing out....But when you're doing it all yourself, it can wear on you. Luckilly the guys on this forum have been a HUGE resource of info.....Thanks.
Old 11-20-2008, 04:48 PM
midyear1
Instructor

LectricLimited now has temp sending units that they claim are more accurate than the OEM tolerance. While I haven't personally used one of them, their company reputation is quite good, as is the quality of their harnesses. You might want to check it out:

http://www.lectriclimited.com/mainpage.htm

Get notified of new replies

To Replacing Temp sending unit.....

Quick Reply: Replacing Temp sending unit.....