C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Rip.......... Gm and the Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 02:23 PM
Power111
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see GM & Chrysler headed down the tubes.

Ford appears to at least be surviving. I believe they are shackled with the same problems as GM & Chrysler (UAW, bad economy, etc...) What makes them so special to avoid reorganization?

Was it all those "Tore-***" company cars they sold in the late '90s?

Old 03-09-2009, 02:30 PM
bb62
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by Power111

Ford appears to at least be surviving. I believe they are shackled with the same problems as GM & Chrysler (UAW, bad economy, etc...) What makes them so special to avoid reorganization?

If you see GM & Chrysler "down the tubes" then Ford is going too since the entire supplier network will fold without any one of the "big three". If either GM or Chrysler files for Chapter 11 reorganization, then Ford will have to as well given the comparitively unfair advantage that will give GM & Chrysler (they get to walk from all uncompetitive contracts).

As for why Ford is in a good position now, this is simply because Ford mortgaged the farm about 18 months ago to get cash (which at the time neither GM nor Chrysler needed since they were doing better). With the market downturn, cash is king and it just means that Ford can hold out a little longer.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:18 PM
dkjfdx
Advanced

this thread is great . Lotsa things to think about and most are very relevant.

I think the cost issues have been covered up for longer than they should've by revenues that could hide them. when the revs dried up, the costs became more than the Big 3 could bear.

Like Buffett says, "you find out who's swimming naked when the tide goes out".
Old 03-09-2009, 08:28 PM
65coupe
Pro

Originally Posted by Power111

They are special IMO but need to reorganize with a new management team and NON Union shop. This will have them equal with foreign makers on U.S. soil.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:29 PM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by bb62
If you see GM & Chrysler "down the tubes" then Ford is going too since the entire supplier network will fold without any one of the "big three". If either GM or Chrysler files for Chapter 11 reorganization, then Ford will have to as well given the comparitively unfair advantage that will give GM & Chrysler (they get to walk from all uncompetitive contracts).
I don't think that's necessarily so, Ford has been posting some profits in the past couple of years while GM has been bleeding at $80 plus MILLION dollars a day.

Originally Posted by bb62
As for why Ford is in a good position now, this is simply because Ford mortgaged the farm about 18 months ago to get cash (which at the time neither GM nor Chrysler needed since they were doing better). With the market downturn, cash is king and it just means that Ford can hold out a little longer.
Maybe . . . . . but see above . . . . . .

Just my $0.02

Quick Reply: Rip.......... Gm and the Corvette