C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Are these tires going to work??

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2002, 02:33 PM
bondo478
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Are these tires going to work??

The previous owner of my 66 coupe put 235/60R15 tires on the rear and 215/70R15 on the front. He did not drive it much after that so I cannot be sure if the rear tires are going to chew up my fiberglass or not. I do like the wider tire in the rear and would just as soon keep them if I could. It looks like they are going to clear but I haven't driven the car on the street yet as it is getting a new paint job. Does anyone have any experience running a 235/60R15 on the rear of a midyear? Gale Gee told me that he knew of a couple of guys running them with no problems including a 64 that he personally owned. What do you guys think?
Old 01-14-2002, 03:37 PM
TheOman
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Are these tires going to work?? (bondo478)

Can't say about the rear but I did experience the following with the front. 215 70-15's will be tight when the wheels are turned to full lock such as a hard right or left. On my car they rubbed the bolts that hold the steering box on and the fame was "polished" on the other side at the same location.

I must add I had the tires 0n 15 x 7 Chevy Rally wheels and you don't mention what you are running. Also, I had those same tires on repro 15x6 KO's and they rubbed in the same places on the frame. Sold the KO's and replaced the front Ralleys with 15x6 Wheel Vintiques with 3 3/4 backspacing and everything clears.

On the rear the 15x7 rims with 4.125 backspace work OK EXCEPT when you jack the car up and let the full weight of the rear suspension and the tires hang down. At that point the rims (NOT THE TIRES) hit the spring around the end of the spring where the bolt connects the spring to the rear trailing arm. When the car is on the road everyhing is OK.

I should add that the Wheel Vintiques are a custom offset that pushes the tire toward the outside of the car. That offst is not standard but it is one that Vintigues keeps on the shelf. With the added offset on the front rim you cannot tell the difference between the front being 6 inch wide rims and the rear being 7 inches wide. I use trim rings off of 15x7 Chevy wheels on all four corners.

Just an FYI you may not want Rally Wheels at all but some guys may be interested. My car does not have flares and the wheel lips have not be shaved and relieved.
Old 01-14-2002, 03:48 PM
bondo478
Racer

Default Re: Are these tires going to work?? (TheOman)

Thanks for the info! I do have ralley wheels on it. The fronts are 1967 ralleys and the back are 1969. My fenders are not flared. It does look like the rears will just miss the fender lip, but I'd like to hear from someone running something similar to be sure. As far as the front tires, a little inner fender well rubbing doesn't bother me, as the car is going to be a driver. Anyone have any idea about the rear tires?
Old 01-14-2002, 04:13 PM
TheOman
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It is not an issue for me if it is not for you but consider what happens if you saw a hole in the sidewall. With my luck the tire would give up the ghost at the most inopportune time, take out the fender or send me into another lane.

I tried driving the car around with the 15x7 rims on the front knowing that the tires were hitting. Found it VERY annoying wondering if I had cranked the steering wheel too far each time I was turning around or parking.

I had a blow out on my lawn tractor this summer. I knew the tire had a big blister on the tread portion cause the tractor was all jerky when running on the driveway. When it went it scared the daylights out of me and the dog went nuts also. I knew it was going to go an STILL I almost messed my jeans. If that rubbing wrecks the side wall and you crash ...well you make the call. Just my 2 Cents but at $58 each per wheel it seemed a no brainer to me.

I don't know if the stock offset 15 x 6 rims will rub but the Repro KO's did.

Good luck and enjoy
Old 01-14-2002, 04:17 PM
bondo478
Racer

Default Re: Are these tires going to work?? (TheOman)

Good point, never really looked at it that way. I'll have to look at it and see how much it is going to rub. I haven't got it on the road yet so I'm still trying to get everything just right.
Old 01-14-2002, 04:52 PM
jump150
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have 255/60/15's on the rear and 205's on the front.. Mind you they were on it when I bought it and the fender lips appear to have been shaved as well the emergency brake cables were relocated to the inside of the trailing arm.. works well and looks mean but I'm thinking of going to 235's so they dont look as wide.. I could email photos if you want or wait for me to create a corvetteforum website b/c photopoint went down..
Don
Old 01-14-2002, 08:02 PM
GreaseMonkey
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
PA Events Coordinator

Default Re: Are these tires going to work?? (jump150)

Jump,
Could you email me some pictures please? I'm to apoint where I need to consider wheels and tires. I'm thinking in the lines of 25560r15 on 15X7 in the rear and 21570r15 up front on 15X6. If possible, a full side shot would be great as well. I'm curious as to what I may be seeing on my car is a problem or not. :cheers:
Old 01-14-2002, 08:50 PM
StrayDog
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

235 X 60 R 15 ....wil fit on rear with 1/2" to lip of stock wheelwell fiberglass , would not use on front as rubbing will occur........a friend has this size on his stock 67 (front & rear), i have 205 X65 r 15 on my 66 , will be putting 225 X60 r 15 on rear , as my 427 has little traction in first gear.. :chevy :flag :)
Old 01-14-2002, 11:40 PM
bondo478
Racer

Default Re: Are these tires going to work?? (jump150)

Thanks for all of the replies. Some good info here. Jump, if you could email me pics that would be great. I'd like to see them My address is bondo@infoblvd.net
Old 01-14-2002, 11:47 PM
bondo478
Racer

Default Re: Are these tires going to work?? (StrayDog)

StrayDog, what size wheel does your friend have those tires on? IT's 1/2" of clearance when the suspension is compressed? I'd like to have as much traction back there as well, which is why I'd really like to keep these tires on there. Thanks for all of the help.

Get notified of new replies

To Are these tires going to work??

Quick Reply: Are these tires going to work??