C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Need help removing studs from exhaust manifold

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 08:40 PM
67TBowl
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need help removing studs from exhaust manifold

I have removed the driver side exhaust manifold from my '67 L79. I need to replace the three studs because they are stripped. I am having trouble removing the old rusty studs from the manifold.

I have been heating the studs with a Mapp gas torch until they are cherry red, letting them cool and then soaking with PB blaster. I have repeated this cyle atleast 5 times over the last week. I put vice grips on the studs as tight as possible and then tapped the vice grip with small sledge hammer. The studs have not moved at all.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance.
Mark
Old 11-02-2008, 09:09 PM
rongold
Drifting

Location: Putnam Valley, New York. Amateur Radio Operator K2NS
Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

Default Exhaust studs

You have to heat the manifold until it is red hot---NOT the studs. Heating the manifold will expand the threaded hole slightly and will allow you to unscrew the stud. Heating the stud expands it and makes it tighter in the manifold. While the manifold is cherry red, try turning the stud--it should come right out.

RON
Old 11-02-2008, 09:15 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Heat, flame wrench with the vice grips while cherry red. It has to be hot, dont cool it down and then try. Red hot directly on the manifold and vice grips to the studs before you brake one off. A common muffler shop procedure...
Old 11-02-2008, 10:46 PM
67TBowl
Racer

Ron and Wally,

Thank you very much for setting me straight. I will give your technique a try.

Mark
Old 11-02-2008, 11:52 PM
63Rayfan
Intermediate

Default Help removing studs from exhaust manifold

Heat the manifold around the stud until cherry red, then take a candle or crayon if you dont have a candle, and rub it on the stud where the stud screws into the manifold. The wax will flow into the threads and you should be able to walk the stud out with the vise grips and no need for a hammer.

Get notified of new replies

To Need help removing studs from exhaust manifold

Quick Reply: Need help removing studs from exhaust manifold