C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

65 & 66 Coupe Headliner - Addl Insulation Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 05:31 PM
Vet65te
Le Mans Master

Received 1,046 Likes on 677 Posts

Default 65 & 66 Coupe Headliner - Addl Insulation Recommendations

Seems the original vinyl covered foam headliner in my 66 Coupe finally decided to give up the ghost (Sag City) so I ordered a new one from AK. My 65 Coupe which has been sitting stored for a number of years had this odd looking headliner that looked like the black flocked coating you see in a glove box. I figured I'd order a new one for that car also.
Completely forgot that only the 66 headliner would have the vinyl faced foam on it and that the 65 version was just some textured plastic or vinyl. The 65 headliner won't do much to deaden sound or heat so I'd like to add some insulation to the roof above the headliner and will probably do it to both Coupes in the end, the 65 and the 66.

After checking out the various old posts on the subject I see that a number of Coupe owners have added this insulation such as Dynamat which comes with a peel off layer of paper. What thickness will work up there without being too thick to allow the headliner to be put in place? Also, for those who used Dynamat or any of the brands that come with their own adhesive, do the products still well enough on their own or would I be better off finding a product that doesn't come with adhesive already applied and use something like 3M spray contact adhesive instead?

Thanks
Mike.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:53 PM
67vetteal
Melting Slicks

Received 99 Likes on 39 Posts

Mike, there is room for most any type of Insulation you may desire. Dynamat is fine though pricey. I used bubble foam that is foil faced on both sides. Also, I did not use glue at all. Just set it in place as you put up the new Headliner. Al W.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:07 PM
66jack
Team Owner

Received 844 Likes on 580 Posts

Originally Posted by 67vetteal
Mike, there is room for most any type of Insulation you may desire. Dynamat is fine though pricey. I used bubble foam that is foil faced on both sides. Also, I did not use glue at all. Just set it in place as you put up the new Headliner. Al W.
I hope you dont have little kids...if they find out the bubble foam is up there the might pop all of the bubbles....

could'nt resist that one..
Old 09-05-2008, 09:12 PM
Vet65te
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 67vetteal
Al, was the insulation you used cut a bit short at the edges where the headliner is squeezed by the trim moldings? How thick was the stuff you used? I've found some 5/16-inch foil faced stuff at the local Lowes and a friend with a 63 SWC has mentioned he used some 3/8-thick stuff made my Speedway. Just looking to minimize the hassle of getting the stuff in there.
Thanks,
Mike
Old 09-05-2008, 10:21 PM
Black_Magic
Safety Car

Received 448 Likes on 205 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year (appearance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
CI 4-5-7-9-10-11 Car Show Winner
CI 2-3-4-5-6-7-9-10-11 Vet

I used DynaMat scrapes left over from doing complete cabin but more for sound then insulation. Sticky back and lots of room for headliner.

george
Old 09-05-2008, 10:29 PM
Vet65te
Le Mans Master

George, do you happen to remember how 'thick' the Dynamat Extreme was that you used? I called a local supplier of Dynamat today and the guy was suggesting a Dynamat product called 'Dynaliner' which comes in 1/8-1/4-3/8-inch thicknesses. I looked it up and the stuff is more for heat than sound. Isn't the Dynamat Extreme kinda heavy meaning it might have a tendency to drop after a while with heat?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 09-05-2008, 10:46 PM
67vetteal
Melting Slicks

Received 99 Likes on 39 Posts

Mike, the stuff I used was about 5/16. 3/8 is no problem and yes your comment on the trimming is correct. The stuff from Lowes is just fine. Especially if you have Sidepipes! Al W.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:41 PM
Vet65te
Le Mans Master

Al, good catch. Yep, both Coupes have sidepipes. I know Lowes carry's some 5/16-inch foil faced bubble insulation http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...il=&lpage=none
but was hoping to find something a little more substantial, weight-wise, to help kill noise/vibration transference. This is the stuff a friend used in the roof of his 63 Split Window Coupe and it appears to be a bit more substantial http://www.speedwaymotors.com/p/2604...mNo=industrial
The only caution I can see to a heavier material is the potential for it to pull away from the adhesive but from some of the previous posts, that doesn't seem to have been a problem.
Mike.
Old 09-06-2008, 09:04 AM
soppeng
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 65 Al Knox headliner is rigid and will hold up most any insulation that you could use, so if you decide to glue something in or use the self-sticking type and it releases, there should be no problem.
Old 09-06-2008, 09:45 AM
Black_Magic
Safety Car

Received 448 Likes on 205 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year (appearance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
CI 4-5-7-9-10-11 Car Show Winner
CI 2-3-4-5-6-7-9-10-11 Vet

Originally Posted by Vet65te
George, do you happen to remember how 'thick' the Dynamat Extreme was that you used? I called a local supplier of Dynamat today and the guy was suggesting a Dynamat product called 'Dynaliner' which comes in 1/8-1/4-3/8-inch thicknesses. I looked it up and the stuff is more for heat than sound. Isn't the Dynamat Extreme kinda heavy meaning it might have a tendency to drop after a while with heat?

Thanks,
Mike
Dynamat extreme is about 3/16" thick??? As sticky at the backing is I don't think it will ever sag

Here is a few pics of what I did to keep inside of coupe ===>> Click Here

The Home Depot (FrostKing) is about 1/8" think but is not as sticky as Dyanmat but should work ok for insulation.

As you can see I use a LOT of FrostKing under car to KEEP heat OUT. That along with tinting windows, new hood seal and air vent duct seal the A/C keep the inside even in 90° weather.

George

Get notified of new replies

To 65 & 66 Coupe Headliner - Addl Insulation Recommendations

Quick Reply: 65 & 66 Coupe Headliner - Addl Insulation Recommendations