C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

How Do I Get Cold Air to the Engine?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 07:45 PM
Bud2
Bud2
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default How Do I Get Cold Air to the Engine?

In the future I'll need to have a higher hood. I prefer the look of the hood that get the cold air from the 'high pressure' area at the base of the windshield over traditional hood scoops. Well....

Yesterday I had to spend some time on the road, was a miserable day with varying amounts of rain. While driving at 60 mph, had time to study the drops on the windshield. On the top 1/4, the water was really pushed by the wind. The effect was decreasing as you moved down the windshield until the bottom 1/4 appeared to be netural, the drops were just sitting there. Where did the 'high pressure' go?

Has anyone ever conducted tests on the pressure at the base of the windshield compared to a scoop that sits 4 inches off the hood? (Tested on C2s)

Is one place more trubulent than the other?

If the pressure is greater at a scoop, does that mean the air density is higher, thus more HP?

Bud.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:07 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Here is one way. This flows over 750 actual CFM with no pressure drop.

The cold air is denser and adds about a percent of HP. We measured about 8 HP difference between cold air from the front vs warm air from the engine compartment on a chassis dyno. There may be additional benefits from actually driving at speed and getting a small ram effect.

Doug

Old 09-02-2008, 08:21 PM
Bud2
Bud2
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've seen that photo before AZDoug, looks even better the second time round. Is the pickup at the front of the grill?

Bud.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:31 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Bud2
Is the pickup at the front of the grill?

Bud.
It uses the factory FI air inlet hole on the radiator support.

Doug
Old 09-02-2008, 10:39 PM
bb62
Safety Car

Received 361 Likes on 216 Posts

In the C2, the base of the hood is a LOW pressure area, not high pressure. Why do you think that modern cars have moved their intake systems to the bottom front of the vehicle (sort of like what AZDoug is doing). That's where pressure builds up. If anything, a C2 at speed will likely blow its hood off if not for the hood catches.

Quite frankly, it not just the C2 that has this problem, virtually any cowl induction vehicle produced at the time doesn't work - and for the very same reason (so don't bother looking in that direction). Let's face it, aerodynamics in the 60s was a fledgling science that wasn't fully understood by the automobile industry.

In 1968, early pre-production big blocks mostly overheated (leading to the big controversy around poor quality for the cars) until they figured out that the front spoiler wasn't big enough to force the air past the radiator. The engineers actually thought the opposite was true until they rigged a few examples.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:21 AM
OverBudget
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can't get COLD air into an engine in Arizona currently... HAHAHA. Sorry I couldn't resist - given the number of days over 100 degrees this year...
Old 09-03-2008, 03:23 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Buy a fuelie

Get notified of new replies

To How Do I Get Cold Air to the Engine?

Quick Reply: How Do I Get Cold Air to the Engine?