C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Headlights--Manual Operation?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 11:05 PM
JPatrick
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Headlights--Manual Operation?

My 64 has an inop motor (or something) and the headlight is stuck in the open position.
I'm planning to get an overhaul kit, but in the meantime I'd like to close the light.
As a recall the **** on the inboard side of the motor is used for this, but I don't recall the entire procedure.
Can anyone help!
Old 08-09-2008, 11:12 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

1) Open the hood
2) Reach behind the nose of the car, finding the end of the motor
3) Feel for a serrated **** about the diameter of a Quarter
4) Turn it one way, and if the headlight bucket doesn't move a little, then go the other way
5) Repeat step 4 in the appropriate direction dozens and dozens of times

You can help a little by applying a LITTLE pressure to the headlight bucket in the direction you wish it to go, while turning the ****.
Old 08-09-2008, 11:24 PM
JPatrick
Racer

Originally Posted by 62Jeff
1) Open the hood
2) Reach behind the nose of the car, finding the end of the motor
3) Feel for a serrated **** about the diameter of a Quarter
4) Turn it one way, and if the headlight bucket doesn't move a little, then go the other way
5) Repeat step 4 in the appropriate direction dozens and dozens of times

You can help a little by applying a LITTLE pressure to the headlight bucket in the direction you wish it to go, while turning the ****.
Thanks Jeff...I guess I was in the ballpark, but apparently gave up before I turned enough. I'll give it a spin (so to speak) tomorrow.
Old 08-09-2008, 11:56 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by JPatrick
Thanks Jeff...I guess I was in the ballpark, but apparently gave up before I turned enough. I'll give it a spin (so to speak) tomorrow.
If you spin it an nothing seems to be happening, gently push the headlight bucket in the closed position, and you'll probably find:
1) The bucket willing to move a little
2) Which means that all the **** turning you did, was not enough to take out the free play between worn gears, and hadn't turned it quite enough times to start moving the bucket.
Old 08-10-2008, 02:39 PM
JPatrick
Racer

Default Eureka!

Well I got up this morning, had my coffee and headed out to spin that **** with the hopes of finally closing that right eye.
After somewhere between 100 and 32,000 turns it closed.
As I do every week, I cranked the 64 up and proceeded to exercise the power windows, heater blower and power steering. I figured I ought to run the left headlight perhaps insuring it would last longer than the right.
I applied the switch and BEHOLD---both lights are opening--and-- at a high rate of speed...a C2 miracle...But, would they both close?? Yes they did, although the right one was fairly slow. So now after two weeks screwing with connections, and anything else I could think of, I now have two, yeah two, rotating headlights.
Dang, if I had done this on lucky 08/08/08 I probably would have gotten a new paint job too!
Given that I am getting the beast ready for sale, I am overjoyed at the thought of not plunking down a few hundred for a light kit.
It has been a few hours---I'm going to go check it again.
Old 08-10-2008, 04:27 PM
CaveCreekChump
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default That happens to me every year or so.

BEHOLD---both lights are opening--and-- at a high rate of speed...a C2 miracle...But, would they both close?? Yes they did
The fix is just the same as yours, but no need to fully open (or close) the inoperative one. Just moving it a little (less than 8,000 turns of the ****) makes it good for another year or two.
Old 08-10-2008, 05:54 PM
JPatrick
Racer

Originally Posted by CaveCreekChump
makes it good for another year or two.
Another year or two...I'll take it!
So I wonder what the magic is..Could it have just been stuck on a bad spot in the motor or the gear jammed?

At any rate I can't complain..39 years of ownership and this is the first headlight problem I have had..Not so much as a sealed beam replacement. But there are other things I could talk about
Old 08-10-2008, 06:29 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Another year or two...I'll take it!
So I wonder what the magic is..Could it have just been stuck on a bad spot in the motor
Maybe just a dirty or dead spot on the armarture.

Get notified of new replies

To Headlights--Manual Operation?

Quick Reply: Headlights--Manual Operation?