C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Nabers Brothers - Houston

Old 08-06-2008, 11:29 AM
PAmotorman
Melting Slicks

Received 150 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by provette67
you are obviuosly another guy who does not know or never met these guys.As stated here by every other person except the original poster who has not responded these guys are some of the if not the nicest guys in the hobby"zeros" or no zeros.This coming from me with not so many zeros of my own
i bet if you walk in and say "how much" they will show you the door.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:35 AM
provette67
Le Mans Master

Received 705 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by PAmotorman
i bet if you walk in and say "how much" they will show you the door.
I will take that bet.Like I said it is obviuos that you have never met them
Old 08-06-2008, 12:36 PM
PAmotorman
Melting Slicks

Received 150 Likes on 131 Posts

I will take that bet.Like I said it is obviuos that you have never met them
these guys restore corvettes that go to B/J auction not to the local parking lot car shows. who do you think pays these outrageous prices for the small corvette parts on ebay,it is not some guy restoring his corvette in his 2 car garage,it is professional corvette restorers like these people. they want a customer like pro team who comes in and says i want a NCRS top rated corvette so i can take it to B/J auction and see how much it will bring,here is a blank signed check. i have met a lot of "aw shucks" type business people and they may seems like "hicks from the sticks" but they are in business to see how much money they can make. nothing wrong with that but they are not there just to be nice guys.
Old 08-06-2008, 12:48 PM
provette67
Le Mans Master

Received 705 Likes on 383 Posts

meet them before you pass judgement
Old 08-06-2008, 01:10 PM
Mike Geary
Melting Slicks

Received 220 Likes on 167 Posts

Default Last Stingray Series

Having heard for years about the Nabers' operation, I had envisioned a state of the art facility something like the NASCAR production shops we've all seen.

I was really shocked to see what their shop looks like on TM's series!

Of course, the attention to detail is what's most important, but I still am surprised by how "manual" their process is. Anybody else have this same reaction?
Old 08-06-2008, 01:19 PM
illmachy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

meet them before you pass judgement
Enough said. Thank you for that.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:31 PM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts

very interesting that the OP has not come back and replied to any of the comments on the thread and this is still his only post for a new member.
Hmmmm...............
Old 08-06-2008, 03:34 PM
philip964
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of the more interesting threads in a while. We havent had many controversial posts as it is the Summer and everyone is out having fun in their Corvette.

I've never been to their shop, never met them. But a friend of mine in California considers me lucky just because I live in the same town with the Nabers.

One of the problems having your own business is separating the tire kickers from the people who are serious and who are going to give you some work you can make money on or have some personal satisfaction with. Preferably both.

Its like my friend who wants to sell his unrestored '57 Thunderbird. The people who show up to look just want to talk cars. Thats fine at a car meet, but at your business its something different.

Sounds like with this post, he was there as a tourist. It was a busy day and they realized he was just there to talk. Sometimes people get offended regardless of how nice you are when you tell them you have to get back to work.

BTW are they fixing the Black '62 that was wrecked here a few months ago.

Last edited by philip964; 08-06-2008 at 03:39 PM.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:00 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Geary
Having heard for years about the Nabers' operation, I had envisioned a state of the art facility something like the NASCAR production shops we've all seen.

I was really shocked to see what their shop looks like on TM's series!

Of course, the attention to detail is what's most important, but I still am surprised by how "manual" their process is. Anybody else have this same reaction?
I believe they've been in the same shop since the 60's. Definitely the same place as when they painted my 62 in 1982, and back then they were excellent restorers, but not "famous" yet
Old 08-06-2008, 07:40 PM
jdk971
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

i have never met them. however i watched them on the last corvette series. their manner and slow work and smiles seemed like a nice place.
i do not like a fast talker and worker. most of the time they spend their wheels and go nowhere. besides they remind me of my kin folk. of course i could be wrong, but they have a good rep. jim
Old 08-06-2008, 08:35 PM
stingrayl76
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by philip964
One of the problems having your own business is separating the tire kickers from the people who are serious and who are going to give you some work you can make money on or have some personal satisfaction with. Preferably both.

Its like my friend who wants to sell his unrestored '57 Thunderbird. The people who show up to look just want to talk cars. Thats fine at a car meet, but at your business its something different.

Sounds like with this post, he was there as a tourist. It was a busy day and they realized he was just there to talk. Sometimes people get offended regardless of how nice you are when you tell them you have to get back to work.
Philip964,
Good point. The OP said he "visited" their shop. He didn't mention anything about approaching Nabors to do repair or restoration work on his Vette.
Looks like he's left the Forum as well.
Dave
Old 08-07-2008, 12:30 AM
LT1driver
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

you know the old saying...can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen, seems like it applies to OP...
Old 08-07-2008, 07:56 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

I have met BarryK and he seems ok....
Old 08-07-2008, 08:38 PM
53 Blue Flame Brett
Drifting

Default Can't Please Everyone

It's very hard to be liked by everyone. Lots of personalities and personal preferences on how work should be done, tends to create opinions on if you like the shop or the person, in general.

The best thing a shop owner can do is try to be personable and treat everyone with respect. Even if the customer may be a little too "corvette annoying" for your taste.

Explain "why" your opinion is what it is. A little communication and education can go a long way to developing a working relationship with a potential customer. Remember, a customers opinion and first impression can lead to being bad mouthed, just like this thread began. There's a reason the OP feels like he does, justified or not. Thankfully, for Nabers Bros, they have a good reputation that has stood the test of time.

A guy may seem like a tire kicker but......you just never know what his situation is. He may have the car and funds to give you some business.

Just my .02
Old 08-07-2008, 08:42 PM
Patrick67
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't care either way but I heard they charged ProTeam $125K to restore the "Last 67". They're high dollar, who cares? PT
Old 08-07-2008, 08:57 PM
53 Blue Flame Brett
Drifting

Originally Posted by PTighe
I don't care either way but I heard they charged ProTeam $125K to restore the "Last 67". They're high dollar, who cares? PT
Heck, I'd have done it for $124k
Old 08-07-2008, 10:58 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

I've known Ken and Gary since 1966. They did an excellent job of restoring my 69 L-88. In my humble opinion, they are the best.
Old 08-17-2008, 10:00 PM
65Bob-bo
Pro

Received 82 Likes on 45 Posts
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I dropped in on their shop one Saturday in my small block '65 just to ask a question. It was several years ago. One of the brothers, don't remember which, was extremely nice, came out and looked at my car, and offerred advice. No charge but enthusiastic. Real good guy.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Nabers Brothers - Houston