C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Do midyears have four, or six, tailights??

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 11:43 PM
G-BOAC
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Do midyears have four, or six, tailights??

Quick question - I never thought midyears had anything but four taillights, two per side. But I've seen four separate photographs or articles in recent Corvette magazines, and today, a picture of a 63 split-window fuelie, with six taillamps, rather than the traditional four.

A fellow enthusiast at work today told me that this was an option -- but I simply haven't seen this on ANY midyears with these rare exceptions. And I know that two of the cars with six taillamps were special "one-off" factory builds that Bunkie Knudsen had built for him and his wife.

My question is, can anyone shed some light on this? Were any production midyears built with six taillamps as an RPO, did this signify a special build (e.g., COPO or one-off) or a very special RPO (e.g., Z06), or is this simply a late-year aftermarket mod that someone did in a bad effort to be cool at the cost of originality???

thanks!
Mark
Old 07-08-2008, 11:48 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

All midyears came with 4 lights in the back now not all were tail lights. On cars optioned with back up lights until they became standard would have two red and two white. There were never any factory cars that had six taillights though. It was a California Custom thing. I'm sure that some dealers did it to make some $$$$$..

Dave
Old 07-08-2008, 11:49 PM
kbuhagiar
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by G-BOAC
....is this simply a late-year aftermarket mod that someone did in a bad effort to be cool at the cost of originality???
Bingo!
Old 07-09-2008, 12:01 AM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

6 tail lights was not a factory option, but at least one famous dealer appears to have made the mod to in-stock cars when new
http://www.67fso.com/
Old 07-09-2008, 12:04 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,357 Likes on 2,785 Posts

Four. Period.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:24 AM
G-BOAC
Instructor

Default Factory-correct ONLY, please!!!

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer5869
Four. Period.
That's what I thought!!!!!!! As it was, and as it always should be. Just wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing something!

Thanks also for clarifying about the backup lights - were these offered as an RPO starting in 66 (two clear round lenses on inside pair of lights), with the 67's getting the dual rectangular center-mounted backup lights as standard equipment?

thanks!
Mark
Old 07-09-2008, 12:28 AM
G-BOAC
Instructor

Default Fso

Originally Posted by 62Jeff
6 tail lights was not a factory option, but at least one famous dealer appears to have made the mod to in-stock cars when new
http://www.67fso.com/
Hey Jeff! Awesome story and awesome car.

My personal tastes though - loved EVERYTHING about the car but the green color! Sunfire Yellow, black, white, red, silver -- just about any color but green for me!

cheers,
Mark
Old 07-09-2008, 07:29 AM
Tom/99
Team Owner

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by youwish2bme
All midyears came with 4 lights in the back now not all were tail lights. On cars optioned with back up lights until they became standard would have two red and two white. There were never any factory cars that had six taillights though. It was a California Custom thing. I'm sure that some dealers did it to make some $$$$$..

Dave
Old 07-09-2008, 07:42 AM
ucc2ic65
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's what I thought!!!!!!! As it was, and as it always should be. Just wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing something!

Thanks also for clarifying about the backup lights - were these offered as an RPO starting in 66 (two clear round lenses on inside pair of lights), with the 67's getting the dual rectangular center-mounted backup lights as standard equipment?

thanks!
Mark
Option in 65, standard equipment in 66, 67's had a single rectangular light mounted on the back above the license plate.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:56 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,572 Likes on 2,165 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

The six tail lights was also part of the Jan and Dean song from the sixties "Dead Man's Curve." "All the Jag could see was my six tai lights."
Old 07-09-2008, 09:46 AM
mredi1
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by youwish2bme

Dave
My 65 have 2 red and 2 white.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:51 AM
raytex
Pro

Originally Posted by ucc2ic65
Option in 65, standard equipment in 66, 67's had a single rectangular light mounted on the back above the license plate.
Was the taillight fiberglass panel already prepared for this option in 65 in the factory?
Reason I ask is that my 65 has the regtangular hole but it is closed from behind with a piece of fiberglass.

Or did my car have this option and someone closed it?

Ray
Old 07-09-2008, 11:16 AM
Ol Blue
Burning Brakes

Received 705 Likes on 261 Posts

Default Six Taillights

I believe that 64 was the first year for the backup light option. Early Corvette dream cars had the six taillights so it was a natural to put them as a modification. I have a template and did several for people "back in the day". Not too many calls for it's use today.
Ol Blue
Old 07-09-2008, 11:29 AM
Ron Miller
Le Mans Master

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by raytex
Was the taillight fiberglass panel already prepared for this option in 65 in the factory?
Reason I ask is that my 65 has the regtangular hole but it is closed from behind with a piece of fiberglass.

Ray
I think you're missing something here. No special preparation of the rear panel was required, all rear panels on mid-years were prepared at the factory for four taillights. When backup lights became available, the two inner taillights were not installed, and backup lights with clear lenses were installed in these two holes instead. Worked that way until 1967 when the backup light was moved to an opening above the rear license plate, and again the rear four holes were used for red taillights!!

Any mid-year with 6 holes for rear taillights had two extra cut by someone after the car left St. Louis.

Old 07-09-2008, 11:32 AM
redred65cpe
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ol Blue
I believe that 64 was the first year for the backup light option. Early Corvette dream cars had the six taillights so it was a natural to put them as a modification. I have a template and did several for people "back in the day". Not too many calls for it's use today.
Ol Blue
'63 and '64 had the T86 backup lamp option and starting in '65 the Z01 "comfort and convenience" option included them.

larry
Old 07-09-2008, 11:35 AM
Black_Magic
Safety Car

Received 448 Likes on 205 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year (appearance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
CI 4-5-7-9-10-11 Car Show Winner
CI 2-3-4-5-6-7-9-10-11 Vet

Originally Posted by raytex

Ray
Ray

Here's a '65 with optional Backup Lights Nothing special to fiberglass

George

Old 07-09-2008, 11:37 AM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

The six hole was pure custom,from back in the 60s. Personaly,I like the look. Another common custom touch was to put a back seat in,using the back seat of an old ****** jeep.Great place to put small kids.

Get notified of new replies

To Do midyears have four, or six, tailights??

Old 07-09-2008, 12:32 PM
raytex
Pro

thanks!
Mark
Guess I did not read it properly and sorry if I was not clear enough but I was refering to the regtangular light above the licence plate.
My car (65) appears to have had this light but the rectangular opening has been closed again.
Will try to post a picture when I am home (very busy at work right now )

Ray

here a picture

[IMG][/IMG]

Or is this just a damage repair?

Last edited by raytex; 07-09-2008 at 03:38 PM.
Old 07-09-2008, 04:26 PM
raypilot65
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Backup

Looks like someone put a 67 back-up light in at some time and then changed it back, or you have a 67 rear clip.

Steve
Old 07-09-2008, 04:32 PM
G-BOAC
Instructor

Default Blue Midyear

George,

That is a goregous midyear. What color/paint code is it?

thanks!
Mark

Originally Posted by Black_Magic
Ray

Here's a '65 with optional Backup Lights Nothing special to fiberglass

George

Quick Reply: Do midyears have four, or six, tailights??