C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

WOW 57 with a 427

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 10:21 PM
splidecision63
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default WOW 57 with a 427

Yep, I saw one last in a junk yard with a tarp draped over it. I asked the owner and he said he bought it in the 70's but wanted to restore it and was not interested in selling it at this time. He has a full injection with high performance heads, the gauges are all in the dash but someone long ago (it appears) took a hammer and broke all the glass He has the hard top but no soft top.. I want to make an offer but I am not sure how much to offer. The car is in bad shape, but it appears to be mostly there. It even has an old a/c unit mounted under the center dash, I know this is not worth aything just an observation. I am sure it was a drag car at one time in it's life. I know it is difficult to put a price on it w/o knowing the numbers on the 427. So lets assume it is a 67 427____________________.
Now lets aassume it is a BB with 427 vale covers not a corvette motor______________.

Please help me establish a price.
Thanks George
Old 06-19-2008, 02:38 PM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts

just my opinion but I can't see what difference it makes what kind of BB motor is in the car, whether it be a 427, a 396, 454, or wharever, originally from a Corvette, or any passenger car or truck.
Since BB's weren't available in '57's I'd simply try to find a reasonable price for a non-original motor '57 that needs a lot of work because that's all it is.
The only way there may be a somewhat higher value for the car other than a non-original motor 57 that needs work would be if you could determine for sure that the car was originally a fuelie car or an Airbox car
Old 06-19-2008, 03:25 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by BarryK
The only way there may be a somewhat higher value for the car other than a non-original motor 57 that needs work would be if you could determine for sure that the car was originally a fuelie car or an Airbox car
OR held the NHRA record for A/Gas.......
Bill
Old 06-19-2008, 04:02 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by wmf62
Bill
And that might get you a 10 dollar bill and a six pack of Bud.

Full injection? full of what, not Rochester has to be Hilborn. ex race car? With AC! I doubt it ..
Old 06-19-2008, 04:18 PM
Gman58
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default 396

Back in the day a friend of mine had a 57 it was running a pumped 327. 396's became available he bought one and installed it . Shortly after that the 427 became available. He pulled the 396 and installed a 427. Had to put a small hood scoop on it and installed additional fans for cooling. It was one fast 57. As I recall the color was the stock 57 red. I was just curious as to whether or not it was the same car. He lived in Mt. View California at that time. Greg
Old 06-19-2008, 04:55 PM
splidecision63
Le Mans Master

Hey Greg,
Well this one has a scoop in the hood also, the paint has been removed, however I am going by on Monday and I will see if it has any red showing. The vin# was 5012 or some where close to that number. It has 427 emossed on the valve covers, they are (or look like ) brushed aluminum. I thought it was a pretty cool find, Isn't a 57 a pretty rare bird, especiall with a FI?
Feed back welcome
Thanks George

Last edited by splidecision63; 06-19-2008 at 05:04 PM.
Old 06-19-2008, 05:00 PM
splidecision63
Le Mans Master

just my opinion but I can't see what difference it makes what kind of BB motor is in the car, whether it be a 427, a 396, 454, or wharever, originally from a Corvette, or any passenger car or truck.
Since BB's weren't available in '57's I'd simply try to find a reasonable price for a non-original motor '57 that needs a lot of work because that's all it is.
Hello Barry,
I was thinking it may be a 427 from a 66-67 corvette. Casting 351 or 942. The price would then be somewhat higher.
Old 06-19-2008, 05:11 PM
Bob W
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wmf62
Bill

Or A/Modified Production

Bob
Old 06-19-2008, 05:13 PM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by geo1rem
Hello Barry,
I was thinking it may be a 427 from a 66-67 corvette. Casting 351 or 942. The price would then be somewhat higher.
why would it be higher? higher than what?
I may be way off base but i'd think the highest price on any project car would be if it still had the original motor compared to another project '57 that didn't have the original motor.
Since this one doesn't have the original motor anymore, and not even still a "correct" motor for the car in terms of displacement, casting number, date, etc I would view it as simply a '57 project car.
There may be more value in it for YOU if you are specifically looking for a car with a BB motor but overall in the open market I can't see an incorrect motor causing the value to be higher than if it had any other incorrect motor, whether it be a BB or SB.

just my $.02

Oh, and it IS a cool find regardless. Any Corvette you find that could be rebuilt is a cool find
Old 06-19-2008, 05:52 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

I may be way off base but i'd think the highest price on any project car would be if it still had the original motor compared to another project '57 that didn't have the original motor.
Since this one doesn't have the original motor anymore, and not even still a "correct" motor for the car in terms of displacement, casting number, date, etc I would view it as simply a '57 project car.
If a project car with $10,000 in cash in the trunk is worth more than an equal project car without a bag of money in the trunk, then a 57 project car with a 427 could be a much better deal if the 427 turns out to have the right castings to sell to a corvette restorer.

The 427 engine has value in and of itself. Perhaps 8 to 10,000 I suppose to the guy building an original 472 67 vette that is missing a motor.
Old 06-19-2008, 06:03 PM
Plastic Pig
Live Free or Die
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: One thing is for sure this kind of discourse and BS would not be tolerated on the NCRS forum. Ohio
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

There may be more value in it for YOU if you are specifically looking for a car with a BB motor but overall in the open market I can't see an incorrect motor causing the value to be higher than if it had any other incorrect motor, whether it be a BB or SB.

just my $.02

Oh, and it IS a cool find regardless. Any Corvette you find that could be rebuilt is a cool find

Hope you're giving change from that .02¢
Old 06-19-2008, 06:04 PM
Plastic Pig
Live Free or Die
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: One thing is for sure this kind of discourse and BS would not be tolerated on the NCRS forum. Ohio

Originally Posted by 62Jeff
If a project car with $10,000 in cash in the trunk is worth more than an equal project car without a bag of money in the trunk, then a 57 project car with a 427 could be a much better deal if the 427 turns out to have the right castings to sell to a corvette restorer.

The 427 engine has value in and of itself. Perhaps 8 to 10,000 I suppose to the guy building an original 472 67 vette that is missing a motor.
Old 06-19-2008, 06:25 PM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 62Jeff
ok, fine, i could maybe see that than IF it turned out it was actually from a corvette AND if you found a buyer looking for that motor with that date.
I wouldn't have figured it would be that high of 8-10k but WTFDIK.
And if the motor was from a regualr passenger car or a truck than that value would be a lot less anyway.
I just know that *I* wouldn't pay "extra" for a project car with an incorrect motor. I would look at it the same as if it had something like a replacement 283 with the completely wrong date codes for the car or even a 327 or 350 motor which would also be incorrect for the car. I just can't see paying "extra" because it's an incorrect BB rather than an incorrect SB. Unless it was something really rare such as a running ZL1 motor in there.

Anyway, that is just my opinion and I'm open to be wrong. Besides, he posted this question yesterday and never got any replies so at least my reply to him got him other answers and opinions which is what he was looking for anyway.
Old 06-19-2008, 06:30 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

ok, fine, i could maybe see that than IF it turned out it was actually from a corvette AND if you found a buyer looking for that motor with that date.
I wouldn't have figured it would be that high of 8-10k but WTFDIK.
And if the motor was from a regualr passenger car or a truck than that value would be a lot less anyway.
I just know that *I* wouldn't pay "extra" for a project car with an incorrect motor. I would look at it the same as if it had something like a replacement 283 with the completely wrong date codes for the car or even a 327 or 350 motor which would also be incorrect for the car. I just can't see paying "extra" because it's an incorrect BB rather than an incorrect SB. Unless it was something really rare such as a running ZL1 motor in there.

Anyway, that is just my opinion and I'm open to be wrong. Besides, he posted this question yesterday and never got any replies so at least my reply to him got him other answers and opinions which is what he was looking for anyway.

Hi Barry,
I'm sorry if you took my response as some sort of attack on you, that certainly was not the case or my intention. I see where you are coming from - if I'm looking at a project car with the wrong color paint on it, then whether the wrong paint is red or black doesn't affect the value of the project if I only plan to repaint it anyway.

In this case, I just see this 57 as a collection of parts, one of which (the engine) has some significant value.

A quick search of e-bay shows asking prices for bare blocks in the 4k range, bare big block heads in the 4k range. Granted if this 427 in the 57 is not of the right vintage then the value is only a few thousand dollars.

Jeff
Old 06-19-2008, 06:41 PM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

no Jeff, didn't take it as an attack, was just explaining where MY point of view was coming from.
I see yours also. Since I'm not in the buying mode of cars or parts currently I honestly had no idea that the BB blocks and heads were bringing so much.

on the other hand I personally wouldn't pay extra for something that I wouldn't be using and would have to turn around and try to sell to recoup my money back out of it.
Than again, if I was looking specifically for a car to 'hot rod" and actually wanted a BB motor in it than I can see the some extra value there since it's what I would want anyway.

all depends on what you are looking for and what point of view you wish to take I suppose
Old 06-19-2008, 06:42 PM
Tintin
Cartoon Character
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To answer your question:

Any 57 that is complete as a roller minus the glass, small easy to replace pieces or whatever is probably worth at least $30K. I sold a 57 in primo condition in 1989 for $32.5K so now 20 years later.... You can get these cars painted for about $3800- if you want an equivalent to factory paint job, figure $15K for mechanical and a crate motor and maybe 1500 in the interior and you have a supremo bargaino at about $55K and you can dump the gas hog 427

A 427, if it is a 67 has considerable value whether it is a Corvette motor or not for two reasons - smog and replicas. In California you can build a brand new replica with an old engine and title it for the year of that engine. Thus, no smog and no stupid SB100. That is true in a lot of other states as well.. that engine should get you at least $7K as long as it has not been blown up ... Lots of people are building Lolas and Listers etc... or replica 34's and 37's...

Last edited by Tintin; 06-19-2008 at 06:46 PM.
Old 06-19-2008, 06:45 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

no Jeff, didn't take it as an attack, was just explaining where MY point of view was coming from.
I see yours also. Since I'm not in the buying mode of cars or parts currently I honestly had no idea that the BB blocks and heads were bringing so much.

on the other hand I personally wouldn't pay extra for something that I wouldn't be using and would have to turn around and try to sell to recoup my money back out of it.
Than again, if I was looking specifically for a car to 'hot rod" and actually wanted a BB motor in it than I can see the some extra value there since it's what I would want anyway.

all depends on what you are looking for and what point of view you wish to take I suppose
I understand. When I bought my 65, I wasn't looking to buy a midyear at all. A friend of mine decided to sell his and I decided to buy it. If I had been looking for a car I may have sought something a little different from what I bought. But this silver/silver, real original knock-offs, side pipes, factory A/C car was pretty much all you could want

Get notified of new replies

To WOW 57 with a 427

Old 06-19-2008, 06:56 PM
MICK3
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Back in the late 60's, early 70's there was a 57 Corvette in the N.E. area that held the record for A/MP & B/MP it ran at N.E. Dragway as well as other east coast dragstrips out of Reids Automotive, Whitman, MA, AKA as "The California Corvette". We would see it just about every weekend, I always wondered what happened to that car, it was fast! This thread made me think of it, keep us advised.
Thanks
Old 06-19-2008, 07:37 PM
Plastic Pig
Live Free or Die
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MICK3
Back in the late 60's, early 70's there was a 57 Corvette in the N.E. area that held the record for A/MP & B/MP it ran at N.E. Dragway as well as other east coast dragstrips out of Reids Automotive, Whitman, MA, AKA as "The California Corvette". We would see it just about every weekend, I always wondered what happened to that car, it was fast! This thread made me think of it, keep us advised.
Thanks
Old 06-19-2008, 09:33 PM
MICK3
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Duntov-097
That's it, Do you know what ever happened to that car?
What dragstrip was your photo taken at?
It would be pretty cool if that was under the tarp in the junkyard.
I have a picture also but I don't have a scanner so I can't post it.
Thanks for posting yours, that was one quick Corvette.

Quick Reply: WOW 57 with a 427