C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Looking for Latest Power Steering Coversion

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 07:08 AM
Too Slow '90
Melting Slicks

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Default Looking for Latest Power Steering Coversion

While my '64 is apart I would like to do this upgrade. I read the FAQ on the conversion and wondered if there were any changes or new systems available since the last post was over a year ago. I have a '79 donor car for swap or core however the last time I rebuilt a ram it lasted about 30 days before it started leaking... would also like something with a precise (not sloppy) feel.

Thanks,
Roy
Old 06-28-2008, 07:13 AM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

The jeep steering box is supposed to be the latest ticket. If you go to the Corvettesteering.com website you should be able to find it.

http://corvettesteering.com/corvette%20parts.htm
Old 06-28-2008, 08:26 AM
CaveCreekChump
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I installed the Concept One box purchased from Corvette America. After over 5K miles I am still very glad I used it.
Old 06-28-2008, 08:45 AM
Too Slow '90
Melting Slicks

Are these just boxes or conversion kits? I don't see pumps etc..
Old 06-28-2008, 08:53 AM
CaveCreekChump
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Too Slow '90
The Concept One comes with hoses, but no pump or belt for the pump. I think I got the mounting bracket from Alan Grove, unless it came with the PS box. I drink a lot so sometime details escape me.

If you go to a power steering box of any kind, demand a quick-ratio unit, like 12.5:1.
Old 06-28-2008, 09:09 AM
Too Slow '90
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by CaveCreekChump
The Concept One comes with hoses, but no pump or belt for the pump. I think I got the mounting bracket from Alan Grove, unless it came with the PS box. I drink a lot so sometime details escape me.

If you go to a power steering box of any kind, demand a quick-ratio unit, like 12.5:1.

Thanks. And here's a big for ya.
Old 06-28-2008, 06:03 PM
edward3090
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put in a ConceptOne box 14:1. I used it for the first time yesterday. I was very pleased with it. I have a 67 BB and it's great to have power steering. The only thing is that the box fits easily with the engine out, but you have to shorten then raise the steering wheel shaft. Both can be done in your garage. Good Luck.
Old 06-28-2008, 10:36 PM
Hitch
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Too Slow '90
I'm sure that if you call Corvette Steering that can take care of you but the link that I linked is just the box. Dave
Old 06-29-2008, 06:55 AM
Too Slow '90
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by youwish2bme
I'm sure that if you call Corvette Steering that can take care of you but the link that I linked is just the box. Dave

I have e-mailed Tom at Corvette Steering a couple of times about the components and the response has been go to the website...which really is not too informative. I am trying to find out what is needed other than the box. Tom did respond that the ram is not needed. For anyone who has done this my question is do I need just the box, pump and pulley and hook up to the manual setup? I want to do this while the body is off...which may be longer than I anticipated. Thanks to everyone who has responded.

Roy
Old 06-29-2008, 09:53 AM
OCS1667
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't think of a better upgrade to enjoy your ride then the steering upgrade from Tom at Corvette Steering. I also included power to it. The steering is tight and responsive. I installed a 70 corvette steering wheel because you will not need the larger one, and that's a blessing as you get more knee room for getting in and out, and that's another benefit.

As for as the install, it's pretty straight forward. You'll have to take about 3/4 " off the steering shaft. When you take the steering apart to do this, you should rebuild the whole system with new bushings and so on. I believe their is a kit for it, and not very expensive, and I believe, well worth it. The box mounts right where the old one was located. You receive a spacer that aligns the box to the correct angle making the job a no brainer.

If you do it, let us know how you like it. I'm sure, as other have said, you'll love it.

Dennis
Old 06-29-2008, 10:27 AM
427lab
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why is the upgrade called a "jeep" box?
Old 06-29-2008, 12:15 PM
OCS1667
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tom explained that it is a new design for a jeep.
Dennis
Old 06-29-2008, 02:58 PM
LouieM
Race Director

Received 3,050 Likes on 1,255 Posts

I had the Jeep box installed earlier this year. It has a much quicker ratio ...12.5:1 VA 16:1 stock IIRC. I no longer have to constantly correct the steering wheel back and forth when going straight down the highway. The steering feel is even lighter than stock; you can add feel by having an alignment shop increase the caster. The supply and return hoses screw into the stock Chevy PS pump; a universal joint replaces the rag joint; the steering column needs to be shortened, which is fairly on a 67 and more complicated on an earlier Vette; Tom Reina at Corvette Steering sells replacement shafts if you don't want to shorten your stock shaft. The new box is larger than the old one and could have a clearance problem with headers. If you have a PS car now you will have to replace the existing relay rod with a manual steering relay rod.

Old 06-29-2008, 03:04 PM
Too Slow '90
Melting Slicks

Thanks LouieM. Great info and pictures. Looks like I will be ordering one soon.
Old 06-29-2008, 04:17 PM
CaveCreekChump
Burning Brakes

Default May I make a suggestion, LouieM?

Originally Posted by LouieM
I had the Jeep box installed earlier this year.

Very nice installation, but I would think about slopping a little POR-15 Manifold Gray on those exhaust manifolds. The perfect low-cost visual enhancement.
Old 08-30-2008, 02:12 AM
LouieM
Race Director

Received 3,050 Likes on 1,255 Posts

Originally Posted by CaveCreekChump
Very nice installation, but I would think about slopping a little POR-15 Manifold Gray on those exhaust manifolds. The perfect low-cost visual enhancement.
All suggestions gladly accepted. The engine comes out later this year, so the manifolds will get prettified at that time.

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for Latest Power Steering Coversion

Quick Reply: Looking for Latest Power Steering Coversion