C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

66 Corvette 502/502

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 07:45 PM
C.W.C.
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Default 66 Corvette 502/502

Hello, I Have A 66 Corvette With The Original 427/425 That Is Currently Undergoing A Frame Off Restoration. I Had The Engine Rebuilt And It Is Still The Standard Bore And The Pistons Are In Great Shape So I Re-used Them.
I Am Now Starting To Wonder If Perhaps I Should Install A 502/502 Instead Of Putting The Original 427 As With The Poor Octane Fuel I May Have A Problem With Detonation And Eventually Damage The Engine.
Has Anyone Personally Installed A 502 In Their Mid Year?
I Know That It Is Supposed To Be A Bolt In With The Exception The 502 Does Not Have A Fuel Pump. What Did You Do In Your Installation In Regards To Fuel Delivery?
Were There Any Other Installation Issues?
Thank You In Advance For Any Help.
C.w.c.
Old 06-02-2008, 07:57 PM
newcastlegreg
Racer

Received 109 Likes on 65 Posts

Default thinking the same

I have a 67 and am thinking the same way you are. I have heard a couple things about the 502 recently. Apparently they are comming out with a new generation block for this motor. It will have a mech. fuel pump boss. Also it will have a machined clutch boss-I think that means tapped also. Two issues that were a problem. I have been told that if you order one now or soon it will come with this new block.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:33 PM
zbc51
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I personally installed a 502/502 with a tremec 5 speed 2 years ago in my 66 coupe. I made a detailed post about this 2 years ago. I thinkif you search my name in the old posts it will come up
Old 06-02-2008, 09:49 PM
67-427ci
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Or you might take a look at the zz454/440hp GM Crate Engine. It is a perfect drop-in. It is machined for a mechanical fuel pump and has a threaded boss for the clutch cross shaft pivot ball. It is not as big a thumper as the 502, but it is no slouch when you get on it.
Roy
Attached Images   
Old 06-02-2008, 11:27 PM
mikem350
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 92 Posts

These blocks have the clutch pivot hole in the wrong place. You will need an adapter....search the archives. The rest is pretty much a bolt in!
Old 06-12-2008, 01:49 PM
LOTSARED
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just replace the heads

My original 427 needed work this past winter. Like you I considered storing it and dropping in a crate motor. But after mulling it over I decided to just store the original heads instead.
An set of modern heads will allow your old motor to run happily on modern fuel. Depending which heads you go with, you can get your compression down to something reasonable... aluminum heads and 10:1 comp should be fine on 93 oct. At most, you may need new pistons also to achieve the desired comp ratio.
Here's where my head went... Whether you run your rebuilt 427, or a new crate motor, it's going to be 20 years before you need another rebuild. I knew that I didn't want to spend the next 20 years being the owner of a numbers matched, original engine Corvette, but driving a Corvette with a crate engine. There are lots of crate engine cars out there, and that's fine... nothing wrong with that at all. But if you own a matched set, don't you want to drive a matched set?
Just another option. I have zero regrets. When I open the hood and someone asks if it's the original engine... yup, it is. And hey... I don't have a 500 lb lump taking up space at home. Either way, enjoy!
Old 06-12-2008, 04:08 PM
502c2
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 502

i put a 502 in my 67(last 4 digits of the part number are 8778[460hp, 550ftlb]), the only thing you need to change is the oil pan, and have a electric fuel pump. other then that just make sure to measure the intake manifold you have so you don't have any hood clearance problems. you are going to need a adapter for the clutch i got mine from: http://www.sdparts.com/. and my engine came with a long water pump so i had go get a short one. if you need me to take any pic's to help you let me know.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:23 PM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by LOTSARED
My original 427 needed work this past winter. Like you I considered storing it and dropping in a crate motor. But after mulling it over I decided to just store the original heads instead.
An set of modern heads will allow your old motor to run happily on modern fuel. Depending which heads you go with, you can get your compression down to something reasonable... aluminum heads and 10:1 comp should be fine on 93 oct. At most, you may need new pistons also to achieve the desired comp ratio.
Here's where my head went... Whether you run your rebuilt 427, or a new crate motor, it's going to be 20 years before you need another rebuild. I knew that I didn't want to spend the next 20 years being the owner of a numbers matched, original engine Corvette, but driving a Corvette with a crate engine. There are lots of crate engine cars out there, and that's fine... nothing wrong with that at all. But if you own a matched set, don't you want to drive a matched set?
Just another option. I have zero regrets. When I open the hood and someone asks if it's the original engine... yup, it is. And hey... I don't have a 500 lb lump taking up space at home. Either way, enjoy!

..with LOTSARED.

You've already got a great engne. It won't cost much to lower the compression, just a head change. If you want to sell it as 100% original...just change the heads back. (plus you really won't like storing a complete engine...they are always in the way). Another thing is everything "fits" eaxctly they way it should..."everything"! Granted a crate motor isn't hard to do...just isn't an exact swap...

I personally wouldn't swap a 427 for any of the crate of the day big blocks...they are all great engines...but the numbers 427 struck fear into the hearts of many a street rodder back in the day....

...besides, anyone can buy a crate engine...getting an original 427 is another story all together.

My 2 cents..

Regards...Stan M.
Old 06-12-2008, 05:25 PM
Viet Nam Vett
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 259 Likes on 183 Posts
2015 C2 of Year
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10, '14-'15

I did mine a few yars back with a 502 and a Tremec also. Items required are posted above such as an electric fuel pump..(not a big Monster one) as you only need abot 7-9 pounds for the carb. The old version 502 does no have a boss for a mechanical. I'm told the new version GMPP ZZ502 now has a fuel pump Boss and a Clutch ball stud hole so the external bracket is not required
I trashed the crappy Holey for a Barry Grant...runs five times stronger and idols great.

For Headers go with Sanderson Block Huggers as they are made for the 502 Cyl head. Here's a shot of mine from Carlisle before the A/C install..

Attached Images  

Get notified of new replies

To 66 Corvette 502/502

Quick Reply: 66 Corvette 502/502