C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1967 Powerglide Problem.

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 06:56 PM
1966STER
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default 1967 Powerglide Problem.

I just got a 1967 Roadster 300 HP with Powerglide.

When you put the car into drive you feel a very minimal jolt which is very normal. BUT when you put the car into reverse it has an almost violant jolt almost feeling like the transmission is going to fall out.

The mechanic is in the process of trying to determine the cause and so far he has ruled out U joints and thinks it may be the rear axle but not sure.

I will be much obliged if you have any ideas that I can pass on. Someone mentioned Pass side motor mount ??? ----Could this be a problem inside the transmission itself? --supossedly it was rebuilt a few thousand miles ago.

Thank you very much.
Old 06-01-2008, 07:56 PM
soppeng
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a 65 with powerglide. Mine has jolt also when placing it in reverse, although I would not describe it as violent. It was worse in the past. Replacement of the snubber cushion at the differential helped my situation, but did not completely solve the problem. I'm far from a transmission expert, but it may also be that the bands in the transmission are too tight and don't allow any slip when placing it in gear. I've also jacked up the rear of my car and had my wife place the transmission in reverse and drive while I was under the car. There was definitely some slop in the differential that caused some of the problem. While I've been told that this is to be expected with the powerglide in corvettes, I'm sure that it wasn't the case when they were new.

Steve Phillips
Old 06-02-2008, 04:57 PM
1966STER
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by soppeng
I've got a 65 with powerglide. Mine has jolt also when placing it in reverse, although I would not describe it as violent. It was worse in the past. Replacement of the snubber cushion at the differential helped my situation, but did not completely solve the problem. I'm far from a transmission expert, but it may also be that the bands in the transmission are too tight and don't allow any slip when placing it in gear. I've also jacked up the rear of my car and had my wife place the transmission in reverse and drive while I was under the car. There was definitely some slop in the differential that caused some of the problem. While I've been told that this is to be expected with the powerglide in corvettes, I'm sure that it wasn't the case when they were new.

Steve Phillips
Thank you Steve ----we will be checking into all of your sugestions, especially the snubber cushion.

Get notified of new replies

To 1967 Powerglide Problem.

Quick Reply: 1967 Powerglide Problem.