C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Questions from a potential C1 purchaser

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2001, 09:30 AM
Captain Kirk
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions from a potential C1 purchaser

I am looking to purchase a 58-61 C1 in a few months (and give up the C5). Still seeking general information. I'm interested in the total cost of ownership compared to what I have now. Some people tell me how expensive parts are, but when I hear the prices, they don't really seem more than parts for my C5. What are the most popular places for getting parts? Can I buy a hardtop?

If I purchase one out of state, do you recommend driving it home or flatbedding it home?

Please don't laugh at this next question - I'm really being serious. Do you think chicks will notice you as much in a C1 compared to a C5? Maybe only old chicks?

Thanks for any info you can provide.
Old 12-20-2001, 10:47 AM
ARed64
Racer

Default Re: Questions from a potential C1 purchaser (Captain Kirk)

Depends on how far you are traveling, driving conditions and the condition of the car in determining flat bed vs. tow. For example, if you bought a beautifully restroed car in the Northeast in the dead of winter, you may not want to drive it because of rain/snow, etc. The other thing to consider is your insurance policy and what they allow. I have bought cars out of state, got a temporary tag from that state's DMV and drove home.

I think a C1 will get a lot more attention from the ladies (of any age) than a C5. You just don't see many of them and they are considered a good looking car with sex appeal. I would own one if I could fit in it comfortably.
Old 12-20-2001, 02:36 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,674 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

I would SERIOUSLY encourage you to join NCRS. Not necessarily because it is a great organization, but because of their publications. The ads are both numerous and free to members. The names and phone numbers of tech persons for different models are listed which may be helpful when you need some assistance. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BE AN OWNER TO JOIN.
Old 12-20-2001, 03:00 PM
Curtis
Racer

My C-1 is restored by me and done right, so the yearly costs are very low. Sure you can buy a new hard top for your car.

If you want to see how much parts are you can call or e-mail Corvette Central and have a catalog sent to your home.

I drove my car home (it was a piece of junk), but it was only an hour drive and I am nuts :crazy: . I also drove a 11 second '55 Chevy with two fours hanging out of the hood from Pittsburgh to Miami. If the car is in excellent shape and you are comfortable checking it out yourself, drive it home. If it is an overnight trip, that could be a problem. I am not into parking my car somewhere and hoping it will be there in the morning. I did it with the '55, but the vette is worth so much more.

Do you think chicks will notice you as much in a C-1 compared to a C-5 you ask? I would hope so. My car stops traffic and women love it. I know I don't really notice C-5's that much, because they are everywhere. Many women think '84-present vettes are the same year anyway. That is alot of the same car in many people eyes.

Enjoy,
Curt
Old 12-20-2001, 03:10 PM
Shark01
Drifting

I assume you are a competant mechanic, because the reliability difference is huge. Points, carbs, tune ups.......there are many things that need to be looked at more often.

On the chick question, I wouldn't assume women under 30 would think it was desirable, it's just another old car to them......no AC, CD player, air bags.......now if you were out to attract 50 yr old guys :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 12-20-2001, 03:43 PM
58Vette65
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE]I
Please don't laugh at this next question - I'm really being serious. Do you think chicks will notice you as much in a C1 compared to a C5? Maybe only old chicks?
QUOTE]

I have a C1 and live in a college town and the young chicks love it!!! The problem I have is my wife doesn't like the young chicks that like my C1!! :D

Old 12-20-2001, 04:19 PM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

There is nothing which will stop traffic like a beautifuly restored C1!!! (With all due respect to our C2 brethren). Mary Jo Rohner is my all time favorite supplier of C1 parts, she is a pleasure to deal with and can supply the same range of parts as some of the big boys at usually lower prices. She exibits the kind of customer service that is almost a thing of the past! C1 cars are not expensive to maintain and are without a doubt the easiest of the cars to work on but without a doudt the most uncomfortable, but the comfort issue is quickly forgotten and replaced by an ear-to ear smile. :seeya :seeya :seeya
Old 12-20-2001, 04:37 PM
a63vette
Instructor

I don't have a C1, but I can tell you chicks of all ages love it....0-85 have made comments....:) but that is not the reason to own these cars.. it is to impress yourself....Many probably won't admit it, but I will admit to looking at her in the garage even after she is covered :)

Jordan '63
Old 12-20-2001, 04:53 PM
Cruzmeisters
Race Director

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Captain Kirk - just :confused: why you didn't include '62: because it doesn't have a different co;or (option) cove, or doesn't have "wide whites"?
It IS 1st year for 327ci. Curious old mind would like to know :)
Cruz
Old 12-20-2001, 04:55 PM
Cruzmeisters
Race Director

...or do ya like a tach drive generator? (forgot THAT in previous post...I DID say "curious OLD mind"! :D
Cruz
Old 12-20-2001, 04:59 PM
62fuelie
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The total cost of ownership of a C1 is a pretty wide range. A nice driver C1 can be had for $30-40K. This is for a car that doesn't need a whole lot. You can spend less up front, but you will spend more in the long run. Remember that these cars don't have power steering, brakes and air conditioning. If you intend to drive it regularly, particularily in heavy traffic, you may want to consider this. You can certainly buy a hardtop. The C1's that I have owned were all considerably more weathertight with the hardtop in place. Expect to pay $2-3K for a real nice hardtop and more for a perfect, freshly restored one.
The C1's will turn heads. The only group that seems more impressed with the C5's is teenage boys. They really like pickup trucks better anyway.

I have a 62 real, honest-to-god fuelie that I drive almost daily in reasonably nice weather. I also have a 67 a/c SB coupe (power steering, brakes, etc.) that I don't drive as often, but is a much better driving more comfortable car.
If I had to use one of them for daily transportation or head off cross country in one, the 67 would likely get the nod. The 62 is a bigger attention getter.

It is possible to have the best of both worlds. A C1 can be updated with a modern drivetrain, modern suspension, and modern comforts and conveniences, but you sort of spoil it if the mods aren't done just perfectly.

:cheers:
Old 12-20-2001, 05:02 PM
aobrien
Tech Contributor

Received 32 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Re: Questions from a potential C1 purchaser (a63vette)

I drove my '58 home right after I bought it. Ran out of gas right after I got off the freeway. Then about a month ago I ran out of gas again. The guage said it still had 1/4 tank. I should have known better though. Then about 2 weeks later I got a flat in the exact same place that I ran out of gas. Now I'm getting radials :) I'm still getting to know my baby.

I do the same thing as Jordan, I gave mine a sponge bath a couple of nights ago.

I would say restoring a C1 is expensive but maintaining one is in expensive they are so simple there isn't much that can go wrong.

The most common word I've hear to describe my '58 is beautiful. I even got one gorgeous once.

I still get an adrenaline rush every time that I drive it.
Old 12-21-2001, 12:32 AM
Cruzmeisters
Race Director

Default Re: Questions from a potential C1 purchaser (aobrien)

A Cruise/bud of mine has a '62 & '93, and went to Woodward Ave. this year.
He told me that the '93 (6 speed) gets 28/mpg on a trip, but he chose to take the '62 - which gets only 14/mpg...because it GETS MORE ATTENTION! :cool:
Cruz
Old 12-21-2001, 10:10 AM
Dave62
Racer

The trials and tribulations of early vette ownership:

Even though the early vette will run 100+ mph you can never go anywhere in a hurry.......everyone wants you to stop and chat....even at stoplights.

You cant use a cell phone in an early vette because you cant respond to everyone who waves or gives you a thumbs up with the phone in the other hand

Your wife will not let you drive the vette by yourself because every young thing in the county wants to ride...might be OK if you are single :)

You get embarrassed when going on vette cruses because when at a store someone comments OH look a vette...and there are three out there..you say gald you like them and they say...what them...there is only one "real vette" out there

You get 15 mpg....but heck that doesnt matter much..you cant go anywhere anyway due the the above reasons

The early vette rides like a truck....well thats the price you pay for having fun

Its HOT in the summer...COLD in the winter....and WET when it rains

You end up driving the early vette because you remember how many smiles it brings to everyone you see...and of course you are then late to wherever you are going

And the main reason not to own an early vette is that your face hurts from the permanent smile...and besides that you have to get your teeth fixed!

Dave the 62 vette care taker
:seeya
Old 12-21-2001, 11:11 AM
Captain Kirk
Advanced

You guys are wonderful (again) with all the responses. I think this is why I like Corvettes - other Vette owners are so helpful and friendly. Let me know if you know anyone who wants to buy a '99.

[Modified by Captain Kirk, 5:36 PM 12/25/2001]
Old 12-21-2001, 01:56 PM
58Vette65
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Questions from a potential C1 purchaser (aobrien)

I
The most common word I've hear to describe my '58 is beautiful. I even got one gorgeous once.

I do not mind someone call my car bad, beautiful, neat, sharp and etc but the word "CUTE" gets my to me. Cute just doesn't fit a C1 -- babies, cats, puppys are cute not a Corvette!!

Old 12-21-2001, 04:48 PM
57Vet
Instructor

I wa s getting out of my '57 at a grocery store the other day and an older woman said to her younger companion (they could have been a mother-daughter combo) "My, what a CUTE little car!" The younger one was quick to admonish her with: "Don't call it cute! Call it Boss, or Neato or whatever, but don't call it "Cute!" Right on!

As to whether to drive it/tow it home, let me relate my experience: I travelled to North Carolina from my home in Colorado in my motorhome to purchase my '57. The plan was to tow it home using a U-Haul carrier (the model that has all four wheels off the ground). I had paid the rental fee and was busily loading it when the weather got cold and overcast ad looked like snow. It was February. I made a snap decision to cancel the tow and have the car shipped back. We found a shipper in Hemmings magazine with an enclosed semi heading to Colorado the next week so we delivered the car to him. On the way back we encountered a blizzard, ran into (or more correctly was run into by) a truck and totalled our RV. Boy, am I ever glad we decided to ship it back!

Mike
57 Vette

Get notified of new replies

To Questions from a potential C1 purchaser

Old 12-21-2001, 05:27 PM
Kid_Again
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Questions from a potential C1 purchaser (Shark01)

"On the chick question, I wouldn't assume women under 30 would think it was desirable, it's just another old car to them......no AC, CD player, air bags.......now if you were out to attract 50 yr old guys"

..what a country!

.....hey, how many C5's do you see on your way to work?......still an expensive car but a tad bit common..you're sure to get lots of attention in a real vette (that is, one with metal bumpers)
Old 12-21-2001, 08:03 PM
396 RAT
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you think chicks will notice you as much in a C1 compared to a C5? Maybe only old chicks? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: old chicks :lol:

Sounds to me like you need to drive a few C-1's and C-2's
and see what gets your attention.
Any C-1/C-2 will get more attention
than a C-5. Many women can't tell a new Vette from a new Camaro, and some
do not know an early vette when they see one. It just stands out from the
other cars on the road.
Good luck!
Old 12-25-2001, 09:22 AM
Matt Gruber
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

Kirk
i may buy a c5, but when i looked at you sig, its a A4 :lol: are you planning to get a c1 with AUTOMATIC? :lol: a powerglide? :lol:

Quick Reply: Questions from a potential C1 purchaser