C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

speedocable

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 11:24 PM
STEVES59
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default speedocable

The speedo cable in my 59 broke, I did not want to change the original cable sheathing I purchased an equal lenth cable insert from a parts store the cable has a small limiting nut approx 1 inch up the cable it appears to stop the cable from moving out of the device its screwed into . dose this nut go towards the speedo or down toward the transmission side. or dose that nut even belong there at all
Old 05-10-2008, 11:34 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Hmmmm. Generally speaking, a speedometer or tachometer cable can be removed from one end of the casing or another. I'm pretty sure I normally grab the speedo/tach end of the cable and pull it out from that side.
Old 05-11-2008, 08:47 AM
STEVES59
Racer

I agree but this speedo cable has a bushing manufactured on to it. It can only be pulled through the sheathing 1 way. From the trans side or the speedo side depending which way its installed. My concern if its installed from the speedo side will that bushing cause damage to the speedo head, should I grind off the bushing or should it stay on
Old 05-11-2008, 10:32 AM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,859 Likes on 1,102 Posts

Originally Posted by STEVES59
The speedo cable in my 59 broke, I did not want to change the original cable sheathing I purchased an equal lenth cable insert from a parts store the cable has a small limiting nut approx 1 inch up the cable it appears to stop the cable from moving out of the device its screwed into . dose this nut go towards the speedo or down toward the transmission side. or dose that nut even belong there at all
The collar end of the flex shaft goes at the gauge end of the outer sheath; the flex shaft can only be removed from the gauge end of the sheath.
Old 05-11-2008, 05:11 PM
STEVES59
Racer

thank you for response I will fiddle with it tonight

Get notified of new replies

To speedocable

Quick Reply: speedocable