C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Gas

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 02:10 PM
Mike Terry
Le Mans Master

Received 270 Likes on 202 Posts

Default Gas

Gas just hit $3.75 per gal today in Indianapolis area. Where and when will it stop?
Old 04-29-2008, 02:17 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

It was $3.79 in the Florida panhandle off I-75 last week....
I'm looking at rickshaws now...
Old 04-29-2008, 02:25 PM
dgsmith
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Terry
Gas just hit $3.75 per gal today in Indianapolis area. Where and when will it stop?
When all SUV's are fossilized. I saw a post the other day where a fellow was inquiring about installing an SVO blower on his Expedition. The oil guys are drooling.....................
Old 04-29-2008, 02:31 PM
Trophy Blue
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

New Jersey has one of the lower gas prices in the country. Anyway, my daily driver (work truck) is a diesel. Price for diesel is $4.29 per gallon.
Old 04-29-2008, 02:35 PM
67vetteal
Melting Slicks

Received 99 Likes on 39 Posts

It's not what you drive, it's why you drive. We are retired and waited a lifetime to enjoy a big American made car. We don't go too many places and consolidate or trips to the store. And, we try to buy U.S. made goods whenever possible. I'm also buying Hess gas as it comes from somewhere other than the Arabs. (I hope!). Al W.
Old 04-29-2008, 02:37 PM
Trophy Blue
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 67vetteal
It's not what you drive, it's why you drive. We are retired and waited a lifetime to enjoy a big American made car. We don't go too many places and consolidate or trips to the store. And, we try to buy U.S. made goods whenever possible. I'm also buying Hess gas as it comes from somewhere other than the Arabs. (I hope!). Al W.
Hess is headquartered in New Jersey. I always buy my diesel from them.
Old 04-29-2008, 02:38 PM
67vetteal
Melting Slicks

Received 99 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Trophy Blue
Hess is headquartered in New Jersey. I always buy my diesel from them.
Al W.
Old 04-29-2008, 02:42 PM
GCD1962
Race Director

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Sorry AL, I believe a good chunk of Hess gas comes from Venezuela. Hess's biggest refinery is in St. Croix - near the source

http://www.hess.com/rm/refining.htm

Last edited by GCD1962; 04-29-2008 at 02:47 PM.
Old 04-29-2008, 02:44 PM
Trophy Blue
Melting Slicks

Al W.
Sorry Al, Hess is headquartered in New York City. I had some brain fade. It's been happening alot lately.

Last edited by Trophy Blue; 04-29-2008 at 02:46 PM.
Old 04-29-2008, 02:48 PM
hpexpatriot
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Terry
It is gonna stop when the oil companies are ready for it to stop. Not before. Recently some big deal from Exxon Mobil testified in Washington about prices and supply. After he testified that prices and supplies are not being manipulated he retired and was given a $300 MILLION retirement package. Think he cares about the prices we have to pay ?????

Don't worry though DUBYA is headed to Saudi soon to visit the friends we made when we saved them from Saddam about 15 years ago. I am sure he is smart enough, cunning enough and ready to negotiate a deal to get prices and supply back inline. RIGHT.

Really there are more factors than DUBYAs ignorance and oil company greed rolled into the current mess. We have to also consider the falling dollar (only partially DUBYAS fault for having an administration that did not police the credit markets and ran up the greatest deficit since the dawn of mankind) and we have increased demand in China and Inda, (again only partially DUBYAS fault for letting everything but the toilet be outsourced to the point where the Chinese and Indians are geting to the point of drinking oil for HUGE industrialization driven by our jobs going over there.

Otherwise things are in really good shape.

Have a nice day.

Last edited by hpexpatriot; 04-29-2008 at 02:51 PM.
Old 04-29-2008, 03:28 PM
richbopp
Melting Slicks

Location: Park City to SoCal - according to the map it's all down hill. No bad days in Indian Wells, California
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

$3.75 is the lowest here for regular at Costco. Out on the street it's at $3.95+ and some places you see $4.49 for premium.

it'll stop when the oil companies stop bidding it up. US dollar is weak and that doesn't help, but oil is traded as a future......... so bend over fellas, the best of the worst is yet to come
Old 04-29-2008, 03:28 PM
raytex
Pro

1.40 euro here the liter (98 octane) that makes $8.25 the gallon

Old 04-29-2008, 03:50 PM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,136 Likes on 1,473 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

Gas prices are between $3.77-$4.15 for 93 Octane around the north end of Wash. DC into MD. It has cut into my driving the '67 to the extent I haven't had the car out in 6 weeks and it may go longer. Dennis
Old 04-29-2008, 03:50 PM
BlackbirdZ07
Safety Car

Received 199 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by hpexpatriot
It is gonna stop when the oil companies are ready for it to stop.
No, it'll stop when demand falls off or supply increases. Oil company profits are about the same percentage wise as other industries. Their shareholders (the owners of the companies) expect them to make a profit. If it's so easy to make tons of money, go start your own oil company and sit back while you rake it in.

We have not built a new oil refinery in this country in 30 years. We're also prohibited from exploring for almost all new domestic sources of oil. That means we're at the mercy of foreign suppliers. And China and India now have the money (our money they received in exchange for selling them all the cheap Chinese stuff we buy from them) to go out and buy lots of gas, which makes it more expensive for us.
Old 04-29-2008, 03:52 PM
BlackbirdZ07
Safety Car

Received 199 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by raytex
1.40 euro here the liter (98 octane) that makes $8.25 the gallon

See, what the heck are we complaining about!?
Old 04-29-2008, 04:06 PM
MidYearRoadster
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts

Oil Based On The Dollar...ok....dollar Falls In Value....ok..but It Certainly Did Not Fall That Much To Equate The Rise In Price We Are Paying Now....
Arabs Say..there Is No Shortage...still Pumping Out The Same No Cut Backs There....hmmmm

Mobil-exxon, Shell, Bp.....posting Highest Profits Ever...hmmmm

Stock Market Futures Paying Huge Sums Raising Price Of Crude..hmmmmm

And Here We Are With A Congress Not Doing One Darn Thing...doesnt Matter If Your A Democrat Or Republican...our Govt Is Not Doing Anything .....hell We Are Still Paying Millions A Month For Fuel In Iraq For Our Military When That Country Is A Major Supplier....give Me A Break.....
Old 04-29-2008, 04:09 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by BlackbirdZ07
And China and India now have the money (our money they received in exchange for selling them all the cheap Chinese stuff we buy from them) to go out and buy lots of gas, which makes it more expensive for us.
I thought about that the other day.

Irony or unintended consequences, maybe both, but so people could save money at Walmart, all that manufacturing went over seas, and now it comes time to pay the piper, so those cheap radios, coffeepots, TV's and clothes will now be made up for in high gas prices.

Only thing that will bring gas prices down long term is an Ebola mutation or H5N1 mutation and contagion.

Doug

Get notified of new replies

To Gas

Old 04-29-2008, 04:09 PM
BOB WINSKI
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts

Well, all i can say get use to these PRICES.There has been lots of oportunity to change things in the USA.The heating fuel next year will be sky high,Bob W
Old 04-29-2008, 04:14 PM
vic z
Pro

Originally Posted by BlackbirdZ07
No, it'll stop when demand falls off or supply increases. Oil company profits are about the same percentage wise as other industries. Their shareholders (the owners of the companies) expect them to make a profit. If it's so easy to make tons of money, go start your own oil company and sit back while you rake it in.

We have not built a new oil refinery in this country in 30 years. We're also prohibited from exploring for almost all new domestic sources of oil. That means we're at the mercy of foreign suppliers. And China and India now have the money (our money they received in exchange for selling them all the cheap Chinese stuff we buy from them) to go out and buy lots of gas, which makes it more expensive for us.

Well stated
32 years to be exact.Yet our refineries and our competition are at full max yet demand is exceeding supply.And there are more reserves in the Gulf of Mexico that can keep us supplied for decades (its right in our backyard). Yet we have foreign ships cruise right over it.
Now go to the State and see if you can get a permit to drill ?? Hess does get there reserves from Venezuela and the Saudis so don't be fooled.
Old 04-29-2008, 04:31 PM
RoadKing96
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Big Oil Companies making big profits is not what's driving Gas higher....and prices aren't coming down any time soon ('cept if gas tax removed) It is simply Consumption (AN UNSTOPPABLE FORCE) driven by the human need for a Better Quality of the Life. (Supply vs. Demand)

Let's assume there are approximately 1 billion people in the “developed” world living with a relative consumption level of 32. The rest of the world’s 5.5 billion, or so people, live with a relative consumption index nearer to 1. In other words Canadians and Americans consume 32 times more energy (GAS), metals and food, etc. than, say, Kenyans whom have a relative consumption index of 1. What we are starting to experience is the worlds realignment of the relative consumption level(s) that are critical, and why GAS prices are going up.

Example: China’s per capita relative consumption level is 11 times lower than that of the U.S. and Canada. If no other factors change, no new population growth, no other countries increase their relative consumption rates; an increase of Chinese per capita consumption to levels of the West would increase global energy demand by approximately 106% alone. In other words, if China were to achieve relative consumption parity with the West, commodity demand would double with no population increase.

People who are currenlty consuming little, want to enjoy the high-consumption lifestyle, just like we do, and governments of developing countries make an increase in living standards a primary goal of national policy. And tens of millions of people in the developing world seek the firstworld lifestyle on their own, by immigrating, especially to the United States and Western Europe, Japan and Australia. Each such transfer of a person to a high-consumption country raises world consumption rates, even though most immigrants don’t succeed immediately in multiplying their consumption by 32.”

The bad news The world population is expected to grow to 9 billion by 2050, but, in a relentless desire for a better quality of life through increased relative consumption, The 8 billion or so of these humans are the key factor driving the need for energy (GAS) and the rest. If India’s citizens were to move to these per capita consumption levels (32) world consumption of “things” would triple alone.

If you do some simple math and reflect that if the entire world were to catch up, the amount of consumption would increase by 11 times. This is the equivalent of attempting to support 72 billion humans (6.5 billion population times 11). Obviously a consumptive increase is not going to happen tomorrow, next year or even in 5 years, but you start to understand what we are up against. It is a multi-decade commodity cycle, where the “developing world” are awakening to a better life. Advances in communications and transportation have assured this. Everyone is now aware of and wants the “better life.”

There is little doubt in my mind, that the relative consumption levels of the West must decline, while those of the developing world increase. At some point the world’s consumptive capacity is a zero sum proposition.

A quick look at China’s growth tells a story that cannot be denied. China and the rest of the worlds under-developed nations are not
completely decoupled but there is some cover for the West in a credit crisis and recession. The key factor in the next decade is the emergence of a domestic economy the overcomes the export driven economy. The increase in disposable income in China will be followed by that of India and the rest of the undeveloped world. The global consumption juggernaut shall continue to grow. Like I said, there is NO stopping it.

That is why I believe we, and the rest of the world, need/must step up our 'Discovery' levels for all these basic supplies, as the rest of the world needs for infrastructure build out and, in general, for the sustenance of a better quality of life. In my opinion, we need to start drilling at home, and seriously moving on with discovery and use of Alternative fuels, etc....

RK

Last edited by RoadKing96; 04-29-2008 at 05:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Gas