C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Looking for help on wiring an amp gauge on the '67 (with a mini-starter)

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 11:32 AM
MassVette
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Looking for help on wiring an amp gauge on the '67 (with a mini-starter)

Anyone got any hints? We're looking for help or schematic for wiring the amp gauge on the '67 to work with a Tilton gear-reduction starter. I never bothered to hook it up- and now I need to because the car's driving me nuts by killing batteries as fast as I can install them!
Seems to me someone said to wire the amp gauge via the horn relay- can't seem to remember. My hard drive's kinda full (CRS), if you know what I mean. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-17-2008, 02:29 PM
mikem350
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 92 Posts

The wiring shoulsd stay the same for amps. There is a black wire on the hot red wire at the horn relay, and
a blk wire at the red feed wire at the starter.

These are the "sense" wires for the amp meter.

If you have a problem with the lack of an "R" terminal at the solenoid this is a diff problem
Old 04-17-2008, 03:11 PM
MassVette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by mikem350
The wiring shoulsd stay the same for amps. There is a black wire on the hot red wire at the horn relay, and
a blk wire at the red feed wire at the starter.

These are the "sense" wires for the amp meter.

If you have a problem with the lack of an "R" terminal at the solenoid this is a diff problem
Yep. Lack of a starter terminal IS the problem.
Old 04-17-2008, 03:47 PM
mikem350
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 92 Posts

check the threads recently this was discussed
Old 04-18-2008, 08:25 AM
MassVette
Le Mans Master

The car's had problems forever with battery drain. I put a knife switch on the battery + cable to stop the bleed down. The alternator is new (Powermaster Delco 100 amp- 3 wire) and the external regulator is new (solid state). The front harness is new too. New battery (#5!) and new battery cables. The alternator tested for a bad diode (which was replaced). After diode replacement, something's still killing the battery when the car's sitting. Grounds seem OK. It's so bad, the if you leave the switch closed overnight there isn't one amp left in the new battery the next morning! This is making me crazy.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:24 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,859 Likes on 1,102 Posts

Pull the negative battery cable and insert a test light between the battery terminal and the cable end; if there's an amperage draw, the test light will be on. Start pulling fuses one at a time until the light goes out - when it goes out, that's the circuit you need to investigate for shorts. Glove box light that doesn't turn off is a common problem.
Old 04-19-2008, 09:24 AM
MassVette
Le Mans Master

Thank you for the help and patience of all those that responded. I'll follow your suggestions. Thanks again!
Old 04-27-2008, 02:45 PM
MassVette
Le Mans Master

Looks like the culprit was the voltage regulator all along (after replacing a bad alternator diode earlier in the new Powermaster Delco 100 amp 3 wire alternator)! I'm surprised because the regulator was new also. Paid pretty good $$ for the damn thing too. POS.

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for help on wiring an amp gauge on the '67 (with a mini-starter)

Quick Reply: Looking for help on wiring an amp gauge on the '67 (with a mini-starter)