C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Added Jeep power steering box to my 67

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 07:25 AM
obx2323
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BADBIRDCAGE
My car is a small block car and I run Heddman side exit headers into factory side exhaust pipes. Had to create a relief in the upper, forward tube to clear the pitman arm nut.

Rich
So I can bring mine up and you'll help me Rich??
Old 05-08-2009, 10:01 AM
wow
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks Smokingjoe...I never knew that '67's with air had their battery on the drivers side...thanks for the tip...ya learn sumpin new everyday...
Old 05-08-2009, 11:06 AM
silverslashstreak
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Vogie
For those of you that have done this installation. Do any of you have tube headers installed (especially side exit headers)? If so did you have any fitment problems due to them? If no one has headers, would you offer a comment on the likelyhood of a problem?
Vogie, I have put the box on my 63 small block with side mount headers with no clearance problem and I put one on my sons 73 with same headers and we had to dent the 2nd tube a very small amount for clearance. These cars are not all created equal.

I always suggest 4 to 5 degrees positive caster, it will make the car stay on line better and gives a better feel of the road.

This may be a better option now, I just read that Borgeson has designed a replacement box using the Delphi 500 box as a base and they made it a direct bolt up box with no adapting required. Looks good on paper.

Jeff
Old 05-08-2009, 04:44 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by SIXTSVN
Thanks Smokingjoe...I never knew that '67's with air had their battery on the drivers side...thanks for the tip...ya learn sumpin new everyday...
ALL midyears with A/C had the battery on the driver's side (and so did the '65 396 without A/C); everything else had the battery on the passenger side.
Old 05-08-2009, 05:14 PM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,976 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Originally Posted by obx2323
So I can bring mine up and you'll help me Rich??
OR we can do it when I am down on the Outer Banks in August, the week before Carlisle.

Rich
Old 05-08-2009, 05:20 PM
Vogie
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by silverslashstreak
Vogie, I have put the box on my 63 small block with side mount headers with no clearance problem and I put one on my sons 73 with same headers and we had to dent the 2nd tube a very small amount for clearance. These cars are not all created equal.

Jeff
I guess then a '66 with a 572 and Hooker Super Comp big tube side exit headers will have a couple of "issues".
Old 05-08-2009, 05:31 PM
Aussi-66
Instructor

I had about a half inch of interference with the number one exaust on my headers, had to reroute the pipe. Jeff is right it is the best mod you can make to a C2-C3. That said I am currently running a Steeroids setup in order to fit a slick set of headers I had given to me. Personally I liked the feel of the Jeep setup better than the steeroids it feels more solid if that makes sense.
Old 05-08-2009, 05:40 PM
Vogie
Drifting

Originally Posted by Aussi-66
I had about a half inch of interference with the number one exaust on my headers, had to reroute the pipe. Jeff is right it is the best mod you can make to a C2-C3. That said I am currently running a Steeroids setup in order to fit a slick set of headers I had given to me. Personally I liked the feel of the Jeep setup better than the steeroids it feels more solid if that makes sense.
I have a Steeroids unit ready to install and just based on appearance, it makes perfect sense. the Steeroids unit looks like a lot of relatively small components connecting the spindle arm to the steering unit. The unit itself is mounted in rubber cushions. It would seem that there would be some flexing and movement however slight. I guess looks can be deceiving though so I'll try the Steeroids first.
Old 05-08-2009, 05:47 PM
darguy
Drifting

I have a Steeroids unit ready to install and just based on appearance, it makes perfect sense. the Steeroids unit looks like a lot of relatively small components connecting the spindle arm to the steering unit. The unit itself is mounted in rubber cushions. It would seem that there would be some flexing and movement however slight. I guess looks can be deceiving though so I'll try the Steeroids first.
Keep us posted! It would be interesting to do a head to head on comperable cars. Has this been done and I've missed it?

Old 05-08-2009, 07:53 PM
OCS1667
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Louie, I added the the Jeep box when I was putting my car back together. All that has been said has been said except one important subject and if someone mentioned it before I apologize.

The Steering Wheel, you don't need the 40 year big wheel any more. I installed a 15" Corvette wheel from a early 70's Corvette. It measures 15" on the outside which includes the leather grip with a foam filler for comfort.

I also went with a serpentine system getting rid of again 40 year old technology for simplicity and ease of non maintenance I hope.

Note I went with hard lines out of the pump attached to ss lines again
I don't ever want have to fix it.

By the way you'll notice the lack shims to align my car, That's because I had the body shop use a frame straightener on it when we were working on the body to insure that everything got off to a good start, and or a good foundation.

Dennis

Last edited by OCS1667; 05-08-2009 at 08:18 PM.
Old 05-08-2009, 10:08 PM
silverslashstreak
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I spent about a year trying to mount the Grand am rack on my 73 (before I found the Jeep box) and could not get it stable enough for my taste. You might want to do a search on the C3 section, there has been some of the guys there that have had problems with flexing and movement of the rack system. I would think that the Steeroid guys have got the issues worked out by now.

One thing for sure is that anything is better than the stock power setup GM put on the Vette for 19 years.

Jeff
Old 05-09-2009, 06:52 AM
obx2323
Pro

OR we can do it when I am down on the Outer Banks in August, the week before Carlisle.

Rich
Well You can have stay at my house for free while we do it, LOL. I'll hand you the wrenches and beer..!!
Old 05-14-2009, 07:27 PM
LouieM
Race Director

Received 3,039 Likes on 1,252 Posts

LouieM, nice job and ya gotta love the results...but I'm curious about your pics, especially the 2nd one...when I was trying to orient my self with where this set up sits in the engine compartment, I noticed what looks like a battery post with a quick disconnect cable on the driver side where the windshied washer solution container goes...what is that for? Thanks...
The little green **** is a simple theft-deterrent. I unscrew the know and take it with me whenever I park the car; this means there is no ground connection, so the car won't start, the lights won't work, etc. Also, every time I pull into my garage I unscrew the **** enough to disconnect the ground, but leave the **** loosely in place, and therefore I never have a dead battery. Any parts store will have these *****.
Old 05-14-2009, 07:30 PM
LouieM
Race Director

Only midyears with factory A/C had the battery on the driver's side, because the A/C hoses and valves take up so much space on the passenger side. You remove the battery by unbolting a cover on the rear face of the LF wheel well. It's actually easier to get out than the normal battery, since you don't have to mess with the surge tank and water hoses.
Old 05-14-2009, 07:35 PM
LouieM
Race Director

Dennis,
Very slick setup! I intend to put on a smaller steering wheel, just haven't decided which one yet. Your serpentine system looks ultra cool and easier to deal with than a stock setup. Whose system did you use and how hard was it to install?

Lou

Originally Posted by OCS1667
Louie, I added the the Jeep box when I was putting my car back together. All that has been said has been said except one important subject and if someone mentioned it before I apologize.

The Steering Wheel, you don't need the 40 year big wheel any more. I installed a 15" Corvette wheel from a early 70's Corvette. It measures 15" on the outside which includes the leather grip with a foam filler for comfort.

Dennis
Old 05-14-2009, 08:29 PM
OCS1667
Burning Brakes

Lou, It was Vintage Air's. There design was less unobtrusive then the others, it looked period. I chose the aluminium finished one as you can see.
As far as the installation goes, I had it easy, the body was not on the car at that time. That said, with the obvious out of the way you should be able to get to it fairly easily.

You will need to purchase a water pump and fan blades that are reversed. When I questioned this, they explained this was due to the low mounting point of the tensioner, this is because of the size of the Vettes engine compartment.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Dennis
Old 01-17-2010, 09:43 AM
Larry Bittner
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Dennis:

Which PS pump are you using? I noticed the return is from the top rathe than underneath which seems to be a cleaner installation. Which manufacture did you use for the serpentine bracket system?

I am in the process of installing a Borg Box and have a problem with the pitman are being located inboard or out of index required cutting about an inch off the right tie rod tube. Was this a problem in your installation?

Get notified of new replies

To Added Jeep power steering box to my 67

Old 01-17-2010, 10:24 AM
Beddles
Intermediate

Hey...

I like what you did with nthose gauges, just did the same , can I ask where you had them done

Louie: (and everyone else)

I have also just completed installation of the Jeep steering box conversion along with the VBP offset upper control arms.

The results are GRRREEAAT ! ! ! (as Tony the Tiger would have said)

My alignment specs came in at -0.4 Camber and 4.0 Caster on the front end. Rear is aligned at 0.6 camber. Total toe is 1/8 front and 1/8 rear.

I did the complete conversion alone and it is not that complicated. You just have to take your time and follow the instructions. You DO have to work on the brake line to the distribution block on the front. I turned the block vertical and manufactured a supply line from the master cylinder to the distribution block. Works fine.

I run a Flaming River column and had to shorten it approximately 1.5 inches. I also had to set it back into the passenger compartment about 1 inch. The chest room lost was regained by installing a repro 80/81 steering wheel.

A stock column can be shortened more than the Flaming River column as the splines are cut farther on the column and the original position of the column can be maintained.

A BIG thanx to Jeff Montgomery for his willingness to share his knowledge and experience with/on this subject.

Rich
Old 01-17-2010, 11:10 AM
turbocat
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by darguy
Keep us posted! It would be interesting to do a head to head on comperable cars. Has this been done and I've missed it?

Yes, I had a Steeroids setup for nearly 3 years and got tired of trying to adjust it to my satisfaction. It always felt loose and not positive. My car is low, and with the Steeroids I bent the bracket that holds the rack to the frame three times. After installing the Jeep box and aligning the car correctly, I can say that it is much better than the Steeroids.It just feels more solid and connected .Jeff is right, it's the best solution for your steering.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:13 AM
Shurshot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by c66vet
I have the same question has anyone installed the Jeep or Concept One steering gear in a BB with 2 inch side exhaust headers. I would like to change from manual steering to one of these units, but need to make sure they will clear the header tubes. Concept One could not answer the BB issue, stated that they know it is installed in a SB's with headers.
Does anyone have the size dimensions of the steering gears, which one is the smaller of the two. I can't use the original type power steering because of oil pan clearance issues, I have a 8 Qt pan. Problems encountered when modifications are made, 1 change leads to many more.

Thanks
Bob
I brought this up in a conversation with Jere Stahl and he seriously doubted if the jeep box would clear his headers for my car using a stepped 2 1/8 primary

I think Lakebum was going do this mod and he has headers on a BB. I know he was talking about doing it so maybe shooting him a PM might be a good idea.

Doug

Quick Reply: Added Jeep power steering box to my 67