C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Non-NCRS bolt/nut coatings

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 11:05 PM
Power111
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Non-NCRS bolt/nut coatings

I do not care about my '67's originality. Having said that, what should I use to coat my bolts, nut, and other fastening parts that would look good (and stay that way)? Something shiny, but not chrome.

Zinc, cadmium, or ?

Recommended company to provide this service (preferrably around Oklahoma)?

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:18 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Many of them were probably cadmium originally. Zinc is becoming a more common alternative to cadmium, which is becoming expensive due to EPA regulations levied upon the plating shops due to the nasty chemicals involved.

I used Nu-chrome for the plating on my 56 Olds. $625 to cadmium plate all of the hardware in 1999. http://nu-chrome.com/

I originally used a local place in Houston, but was unhappy with the quality and ended up shipping everything to Nu-Chrome instead. Had I not tried to find a local place from the get-go, I would have spent half as much total money on plating and had my parts back in half the time.

Point is, if you get a local recommendation, that's great go for it. Otherwise, sometimes it's just easier to let UPS carry your parts to a trusted source far away, and be done with it.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:16 AM
mikem350
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 92 Posts

If you want to try paint I found a good color. The color is "Cast Coat Iron" Duplicolor engine paint. At the auto store.

Looks like the dark coating on replacement bolts
Old 03-26-2008, 01:54 AM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Stainless steel.

For high stress bolts, get ARP fasteners, otherwise regular 18-8 or 304 stainless will work. Available at most hardware stores, or online.

Doug

Get notified of new replies

To Non-NCRS bolt/nut coatings

Quick Reply: Non-NCRS bolt/nut coatings