C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

exhaust through hole clearance

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 07:31 PM
geo65
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default exhaust through hole clearance

it appears one side (passenger) of my exhaust is too close to the frame at the through hole in frame. Has anyone seen this and what adjustment did you make?
I see it should favor the bottom, but one is, or nearly is touching at the bottom. 2.5" 327/365 65
Old 03-08-2008, 07:49 PM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Nothing a torch and a jack cant take care of.
Old 03-08-2008, 08:13 PM
rongold
Drifting

Location: Putnam Valley, New York. Amateur Radio Operator K2NS
Received 164 Likes on 117 Posts

Default Exhaust

Originally Posted by geo65
it appears one side (passenger) of my exhaust is too close to the frame at the through hole in frame. Has anyone seen this and what adjustment did you make?
I see it should favor the bottom, but one is, or nearly is touching at the bottom. 2.5" 327/365 65
=======================

If you're talking about where the pipes go through the transmission crossmember, you should have a support there that the 2 pipes clamp on to. If I remember correctly, the support is sandwiched between the transmission case and the transmission mount. When you tighten the clamps with the pipes loose at the manifolds, the pipes will be lifted to the proper position so they do not hit the crossmember. Do you have the support on your car ???

RON

Last edited by rongold; 03-08-2008 at 08:15 PM.
Old 03-08-2008, 08:45 PM
geo65
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

yes, I have the support and everything is installed correctly. with the .78 clearance that the Manual states, it leaves a 2.5 in. pipe real close to the frame. with the welding and bracket tolerences I would expect some differences and perhaps shimming would
be required? what kind of movement could be expected relative to the through hole under driving conditions?
Old 03-09-2008, 11:34 AM
rongold
Drifting

Location: Putnam Valley, New York. Amateur Radio Operator K2NS
Received 164 Likes on 117 Posts

Default Exhaust Clearance

I never looked at mine to see how close the pipes are to the crossmember, but as far as I know, neither one has ever hit the crossmember. I assume that I would have heard it if it did. If you have the 3/4" clearance, and your trans mount is still in good shape (not mushy from oil contamination), they should not hit. I guess that Chevrolet engineered less than .78 inch movement into the mount. If 1 of your pipes is closer than the .78 inches, your support might be bent, or your trans mount might be collapsed.

RON
Old 03-09-2008, 04:06 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,858 Likes on 1,101 Posts

yes, I have the support and everything is installed correctly. with the .78 clearance that the Manual states, it leaves a 2.5 in. pipe real close to the frame. with the welding and bracket tolerences I would expect some differences and perhaps shimming would
be required? what kind of movement could be expected relative to the through hole under driving conditions?
If you only have the problem on one side, either the saddle bracket is bent or the pipe on that side isn't formed correctly. If you had the same problem on both sides, it could be the saddle bracket for 2" pipes instead of the one for 2-1/2" pipes (they're different, to center the pipes vertically in the opening in the crossmember).
Old 03-09-2008, 06:12 PM
geo65
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

thanks for your replies...trans mount rubber is new.

well, that's where she sits (and where it was before restoration) and I don't like it. If it should be centered, it's way off, and I would not worry about the slight difference left to right. The AIM claims .78 clearance and that is about what it is. (perhaps that is for a 2 in. system?) Do you see anything from the picture?
Attached Images  
Old 03-10-2008, 07:14 PM
Gimme1MoreC1
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

If you are having trouble with your 2 1/2" just imagine my issues with 3" pipes. I am constantly tweaking and heating and moving things around. I am good for 100 miles and I get to a red light and here come the rattles. It's all too frustrating, as I am close to installing side exhaust or a 2 1/2" chambered rear exit system. I have headers currently, but have a pair of '65 coated 2 1/2" manifolds if/when I switch over. All '66's had only 2", and I have the original manifolds in a box waiting for a future restorer. By the way, whoever he is, he will be lucky as I have saved everything! I love the sound of the 3" with big Borla mufflers. I will miss the sound, but not the rattles.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:28 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,082 Likes on 4,736 Posts
Army

My C1 is close on the left side and somebody wired a piece of asbestos (or some similar material) around the exhaust pipe inside the frame hole. Plasticman actually spotted it when the car was on the lift at his house. Something else I will get to eventually but it doesn't appear to be hurting anything for now.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:33 PM
geo65
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

theres plenty of room, they are just not near center... I still think something is wrong.. anyone have a picture?

where can you get Borla for a mid year (model #?). I only find them listed for later models.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:06 PM
Gimme1MoreC1
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

theres plenty of room, they are just not near center... I still think something is wrong.. anyone have a picture?

where can you get Borla for a mid year (model #?). I only find them listed for later models.
The Borlas on my C2 are not listed on the website for a C2, as they are 3" in and out. I will get the part number for you as soon as I can get it up on the lift. The part number is there somewhere, I think. They are stainless and sound outrageous. I just can't keep the system in place. What a great feeling it is after spending hours of adjustment, and cranking up the motor, windows down, stereo on........and a few hours later that clang, clang, clang of a pipe banging somewhere. VERY discouraging, to say the least. Better yet, when I change over to ???? sidepipes, chambered rear exit, or something... these mufflers might be for sale, unless I decide to keep for a future project. Like I said, I love the sound.
Old 03-15-2008, 12:42 AM
geo65
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

I purchased a repro 2.5 in. center exhaust hanger and it raised the pipes to give proper clearance. I suppose the wrong one was put on years ago.

The 2.5 guilitine clamps do not fit too well however as the hanger is a bit wider? ...oh well

thanks for the help, I never would have guessed it.
Old 03-16-2008, 07:50 AM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,621 Likes on 1,953 Posts

JohnZ solves another one.

Get notified of new replies

To exhaust through hole clearance

Quick Reply: exhaust through hole clearance