C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Chevrolet Cheetah and Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 04:19 PM
c5thriler
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Cheetah

A friend of mine back in the 60's had a Griffith.It was a real skate board on wheels.If you could learn to drive it it was unbeatable in a pyloned low speed event! It had a 289 in it and was real quick up to 60 but not much after that!
Old 03-27-2008, 11:33 AM
jimgessner
Safety Car

Received 638 Likes on 382 Posts

In the Spring of 1989 at our So Cal NCRS Chapter meet in rural Buellton, CA we started the weekend off with a 'swap meet', then there was a driving tour thru the countryside for lunch. The club had left for the tour.

Rich Mason pulled into the parking lot with truck and trailer. He had brought his SR-2 down for the SECRET featured show and tell that was to take place in the afternoon after the group came back to the hotel.

His car was to be featured with the new ZR-1 that Hank Haga and Chevrolet brought over from their secret skunkworks in nearby Westlake Village

NO ONE HAD EVER SEEN THE ZR-1 in those days, just heard about it. The plan was both cars were to be placed in the hotel meeting room under corver, and when the membership came back after lunch a great Seminar was to unfold. The title was "The AMERICAN LEGEND, OLD AND NEW"

I stayed back to help set up the cars, and Rich unloaded the SR-2. Now mind you this car was raced at Montery Historics and other vintage race venues often in those days. Rich fired up the car and motioned me to get in to the passanger seat.

Open pipes and all, he shouted "WHERE IS LUNCH?" I pointed and BOOM ! Away we went to catch the road tour. I was hanging on for dear life as the bugs smashed my face at 100mph taking the short cut to MATTIES TAVERN up the California #101 about 5 miles, then off on Santa Ynez Rd.

We pulled into the parking lot just as the slow backroad caravan was arriving. What great times we have had in these old Corvettes.

The afternoon LEGEND show and tell was a great lesson in new and old CORVETTE history. These were the days when we truly DROVE and enjoyed our cars.

Last edited by jimgessner; 03-12-2013 at 10:00 AM.
Old 03-27-2008, 03:29 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,766 Likes on 1,669 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

If you ever see my 56 HD brake/suspension, Airbox "show" car in person, look close, you'll see a few chips in the paint and road film on the fully chromed undercarriage.

<-------<<<<

Last edited by DZAUTO; 03-27-2008 at 03:31 PM.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:26 PM
verle
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DZAUTO
True story,
A year or so ago, there was a gathering of us old timers at John Neas house, shortly after he had had his SR2 restored and fine tuned. It has an all alum 350 (one of the earlier Chev block castings) with an FI unit that I built for it. Hard runnin' car!!!!
Everyone was gathered around and admiring such a unique and fabulous looking old Vette. John offered the key to several in the group and EVERYONE declined. I said, oh heck and told my wife to get in. Fired it up and blasted down the street (only had headers on it at the time) and around the block and I pulled it hard in 1st-2nd. With the skinny early Firestone racing tires that were on it, it was impossible to keep it straight. John doesn't offer to let anyone drive it anymore! I think I scared John a little , but Sally (his wife) loved it !

I was one of those who turned down the opportunity to drive the SR2.

When Tom drove it up the street he set off car alarms as he "drove" along.

Impressive car, looks and running.

Verle
Old 03-27-2008, 10:29 PM
verle
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DZAUTO
If you ever see my 56 HD brake/suspension, Airbox "show" car in person, look close, you'll see a few chips in the paint and road film on the fully chromed undercarriage.

<-------<<<<
My car is not as nice as Tom's 56 but I drive it also.

The chips and cracks... I call it road rash.

Verle
Old 03-11-2013, 12:03 AM
Chris51sr
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What do the price range from for these beauties? I have always been a fan of this car, I can't seem to find a price range for 1 in good to excellent condition. If anyone can help I would be very grateful.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:23 AM
Tyler Townsley
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by verle
I was one of those who turned down the opportunity to drive the SR2.

When Tom drove it up the street he set off car alarms as he "drove" along.

Impressive car, looks and running.

Verle
If you are a neighbor and complain about the noise they just buy you out.

Tyler
Old 03-11-2013, 10:43 AM
c5thriler
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Response to your email

Cant help you out on prices but suggest you contact Ruth Restorations.Bob Ruth and his son Craig had molds made for the Cheetah back 5 years ago and offered it as a kit car or a complete "turn key"ride.They sold 2 of these but it went no further.Bob has retired recently but I believe comes in to work with his son on occasion.Both belong to Corvette Cleveland,the club I belong to.Contact Bob or Craig Ruth at 216-244-0338.Good Luck Brock Landers
Old 03-11-2013, 03:58 PM
corvette-62
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by kenmo
I owned a Cheetah once but it was a 1/32 scale electric slot car. I was 10 years of age at the time and I've always been fascinated by this car...

This link brings back many good memories of electric slot car racing and building 1/24 - 1/25 scale plastic car kits (AMT, Monogram, MPC, Revell, etc)...
WOW!! I was thinking the same thing!! That sucker (slot car) could really ZIP around that track!
Old 03-11-2013, 04:19 PM
Chris51sr
Heel & Toe

Lol, I had the same slot car myself! Loved that track! Had my slot tracks until I went into the Army, gave them to a nephew. Sure miss playing with it over the years. Will be getting back into it when I retire in another 25-30 yrs. Only 51 now, that's about when I see myself slowing down enough to have fun with it. Lol
Old 03-11-2013, 04:48 PM
PaulUptime
Melting Slicks

Received 182 Likes on 115 Posts

Gotta add me to the list of kids who had a Cheetah slot-car.

Some folks were into building ornate detailed model train sets, but for me from age 6 to 11 it was Aurora/HFX HO cars, and I took over our 1 car garage (thanks Dad) with alpine race tracks complete with bridges and tunnels through plaster mountains, trees and streams.

Having little money to spend, I'd find or make all the small parts and materials to complete the perfect illusion. Got so dramatic that I think I probably crashed and burned that Cheetah a few times (fuel and rocks at the bottom of a plaster ravine.

Need to remember to thank my Dad again for that.

Come to think of it - that Cheetah often did get often wiley in the tunnel - probably why it ended up c&b!
Old 03-11-2013, 11:19 PM
vetrod62
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Screw that toy car stuff. Here is my friends car that I have been in. But he will not let me drive full out. I keep asking. It fits me perfect. He will cave one of these days. Yes, that is Dennis Gage.

Old 03-11-2013, 11:49 PM
Chris51sr
Heel & Toe

Pretty sweet car, but don't care much for the color. He must know you to well not to let you drive it full out. Lol
Old 03-11-2013, 11:51 PM
Chris51sr
Heel & Toe

I have to say, I like your profile pic though. My favorite years 62'-66.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:54 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Had one of those slot cars too it was gold. Never got it out of the package but the name and image stuck in my head all these yrs. Never knew what one was til recently .
Old 03-12-2013, 12:29 AM
vetrod62
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris51sr
Pretty sweet car, but don't care much for the color. He must know you to well not to let you drive it full out. Lol
Sorry to say you are probably correct. He knows I will not back off, unless it lethal. But I have always driven this way. No *****, no glory.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:45 AM
Chris51sr
Heel & Toe

Dear Cuisinartvette,
Do you still have the car in a package? That would be something I'd be interested in if you do. Not many people know of or remember the Cheetah, so don't feel bad you didn't know. One of those lost treasures of the auto industry. Ahead of its time I always thought.

Get notified of new replies

To Chevrolet Cheetah and Corvette

Old 03-12-2013, 01:50 AM
Chris51sr
Heel & Toe

Vetrod62,
Nothing wrong with going ***** to the walls if you don't push the envelope to far. Lol. I like a little excitement myself, but know my limits and limits of what I am driving. Right time... Right place.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:52 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 727 Likes on 621 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

the Cheetah is purportedly one of the most over-powered and squirrely dangerous cars ever built...
Bill
Old 03-12-2013, 10:01 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by Chris51sr
Dear Cuisinartvette,
Do you still have the car in a package? That would be something I'd be interested in if you do. Not many people know of or remember the Cheetah, so don't feel bad you didn't know. One of those lost treasures of the auto industry. Ahead of its time I always thought.
I could ask my Stepdad..knowing him he probably threw it out
He had a 67 rs and a white stang fastback with blue stripes....I will ask though.

They were in a clear plastic package I never got to take them out kind of a hands off thing. Those 2 gave me the car bug though as a young kid couldnt take my eyes off em

Quick Reply: Chevrolet Cheetah and Corvette