Go Back   Corvette Forum > C1 & C2 Corvettes, 1953 - 1967 > C1 & C2 Corvettes
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Albums Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ
Search
C1 & C2 Corvettes
General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations Sponsored by
Flaming River
Industries

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!


Corvette Store
 
 
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads
 
 
Vendor Directory
  
Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-20-2008, 08:10 AM   #21
DZAUTO
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Mar 2001
Location: Mustang OK
I don't do social media stuff I Don't do it I Don't do it I Don't do it I Don't do it I Don't do it
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo1rem View Post
How can the 3855961 casing number be the same for a 396 nd a 427 ci motor. There is no way a 396 can be bored out to a 427. Confused.
I can not find anyone who can explain why GM used the same casting number for two different cubic inch blocks.
Help me solve this puzzle.
Thanks George
Happened in 8yrs earlier in 57 also.
The 548 block could be either a 265 or a 283.

The 307 and 327 have the same stroke. A FEW 307s have been known to be bored to 327 (although it would scare me to bore one that much!).
__________________
Tom Parsons
DZAUTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 12:25 PM   #22
66BlkBB
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '13
 
66BlkBB's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2004
Location: Northern MN
Default

I remember some guys punching the 283 out .125 to create 301's. A lot of those blocks were really thin and caused problems. Some held together with no problem. It was just a matter of how thick the walls were in the original castings.

Steve
66BlkBB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 04:56 PM   #23
Ironcross
CF Senior Member

 
Ironcross's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2002
Location: Taylor Michigan
Default How About 4X4`s from 283 V8`s

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66BlkBB View Post
I remember some guys punching the 283 out .125 to create 301's. A lot of those blocks were really thin and caused problems. Some held together with no problem. It was just a matter of how thick the walls were in the original castings.

Steve
A few 283`s in the earlie 60`s were made into 4X4`s using Buick rods, special pistons, crank and a overbore. They didn`t perform as well as was expected either supercharged or normally asperated.

How did this get to SB`s...
Ironcross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 05:04 PM   #24
kbuhagiar
CF Senior Member
 
kbuhagiar's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2002
Location: South San Francisco CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironcross View Post
How did this get to SB`s...
Thread creep...
__________________
Cheers!

Ken - South San Francisco, CA
1965 Coupe 327/350 purchased 1979 sold 1980
1963 Convertible 327/300 purchased 1983 sold 2010
1947 Plymouth Special Deluxe/Corvette TPI power
1964 Mercury Comet Caliente
kbuhagiar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 06:19 PM   #25
MikeM
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Mar 2003
Location: Greenville In
Default

Let's try to stay on topic.



Click the image to open in full size.
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 06:34 PM   #26
Ironcross
CF Senior Member

 
Ironcross's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2002
Location: Taylor Michigan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
Let's try to stay on topic.



Click the image to open in full size.
Yep, almost forgot about her. thanks for refreshing my memory.....
Ironcross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 06:58 PM   #27
woodsdesign
CF Senior Member

 
woodsdesign's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2004
Location: Macedonia Ohio
Send a message via AIM to woodsdesign
Default

The 1965-66 396 "961" block (2 bolt & 4 bolt mains) is a THIN wall casting. Regardless of core shift, boring one out to 4.250" (427) will result in either breaking through a water jacket, or dangerously thin cylinder walls that will cause the engine to run hot and be impossible to keep cool without boiling over on the street. [/QUOTE]

So how do you rebuild a 396 that needs to have the bores cleaned up?
woodsdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 07:56 PM   #28
Ironcross
CF Senior Member

 
Ironcross's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2002
Location: Taylor Michigan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsdesign View Post
The 1965-66 396 "961" block (2 bolt & 4 bolt mains) is a THIN wall casting. Regardless of core shift, boring one out to 4.250" (427) will result in either breaking through a water jacket, or dangerously thin cylinder walls that will cause the engine to run hot and be impossible to keep cool without boiling over on the street.
So how do you rebuild a 396 that needs to have the bores cleaned up?[/QUOTE]

Commonly refred to as .030 over.
Ironcross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 08:32 PM   #29
Injected Stingray
CF Senior Member
 
Injected Stingray's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2006
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brass View Post
396, 402, 427, 454 are all big blocks

265, 283, 302, 307, 327, 350, 400 are all small blocks

any motor with crank, pistons and no heads is a short block

Left a couple out Donny.
262, 267 small blocks
366, 400 big blocks
Injected Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 09:23 PM   #30
splidecision63
CF Senior Member
 
splidecision63's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2005
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63Corvette View Post
Well when Zora Duntov was asked how come a 425 HP 427 Corvette was so much quicker than a 425 HP 396 Corvette, he is quoted as saying: "Well we bored it out 30cubic inches. Just check how much 30 cubic inches of cast iron weighs".

Boring out a 396 30 over would not make it a 427
splidecision63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 09:32 PM   #31
splidecision63
CF Senior Member
 
splidecision63's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2005
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63 340HP View Post
One of my racing friends had one of these five 4-bolt main cap 396's out of a 65 Chevelle that we ran in a 68' Camaro. When a rod scored a cylinder wall in the block we looked to add a thin wall sleeve. Our machinist ran the block through a sonic test and came back to tell us it could be bored an 1/8th over, to a 427 bore, to clean up the cylinder. The set of 427 pistons cost a little bit, but worth the expense. One of our rivals who ran a SS legal 375hp/396 67' Camaro heard a rumor of what we did and claimed it could not be done safely, so we had our pin-striper paint "396 ? - 427 ?" on the sides of the hood scoop (just to keep him guessing). The guessing lasted about two drag race meets, before the track times improved to answer the question.

We ran this over-bored block for a year of racing with L72 pistons, with no failures. We then tore it down and swapped in L88 pistons (12.5:1 CR), and at the second or third weekend outing at the strip with the much faster configuration we blew a hole in the #5 or #7 cylinder wall. We added a sleeve and continued to run the block for the balance of the race season, and the entire next year.

This photo is from a month or so before we scored the 396 block (we suffered a drunk hitting the front end of the car the weekend before this photo, and we were forced to run with no hood).

Click the image to open in full size.

OK, So does this answer my question? R U saying a 396 can be bored out to a 427? Still confused. I have a 396 dated July 65, cast 961. Could this be a 427 mistakenly by the seller?
George
splidecision63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 09:33 PM   #32
Donny Brass
CF Senior Member

 
Donny Brass's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2004
Location: St. Clair Shores MI
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo1rem View Post
Boring out a 396 30 over would not make it a 427
30 cubic inches........... not .030 over
Donny Brass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 10:17 PM   #33
63 340HP
CF Senior Member

 
63 340HP's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2005
Location: Beach & High Desert Southern California
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo1rem View Post
OK, So does this answer my question? R U saying a 396 can be bored out to a 427? Still confused. I have a 396 dated July 65, cast 961. Could this be a 427 mistakenly by the seller?
George
The answer is some early 396 blocks have been successfully bored out to the 427 bore. This is what we did, with a 396 block that had four bolt caps for all five main bearings (another indicator, in addition to the 1965 casting & 961' casting number).

The real answer to this question with any individual block is to have the bores sonic tested to see if there is enough material to bore out the specific block you are considering. If you fail to have the blocked checked, you run the risk of breaking into a water jacket or suffering from a weak (thin) cylinder wall.

Could the 65' block you have commented on be a 427? Verify all the qualifiers (date, main caps, casting number). Have them check the bore diameter with a bore gage. If it's 4.125", or close, it's a 396. If it's 4.250", or close, it's a 427. If you are considering the block to purchase, consider the cost of a sonic test of the cylinder walls as insurance.

The other question, the girl? She was the Camaro owner's girlfriend (then wife, then ex-wife). She could have doubled for Natalie Wood with similar good looks, with ample additional qualifications (perfect for a distraction during late night heads-up racing).

63 340HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 10:07 AM   #34
70GHH
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jun 2006
Location: Duxbury MA
Default

Someone really needs to analyze the structural integrity of the brassier she is wearing! Is it a thin wall in jeopardy of causing overheating amongst spectators? It looks bullet proof.
70GHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 08:25 PM   #35
splidecision63
CF Senior Member
 
splidecision63's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2005
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70GHH View Post
Someone really needs to analyze the structural integrity of the brassier she is wearing! Is it a thin wall in jeopardy of causing overheating amongst spectators? It looks bullet proof.
splidecision63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 08:28 PM   #36
splidecision63
CF Senior Member
 
splidecision63's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2005
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63 340HP View Post
The answer is some early 396 blocks have been successfully bored out to the 427 bore. This is what we did, with a 396 block that had four bolt caps for all five main bearings (another indicator, in addition to the 1965 casting & 961' casting number).

The real answer to this question with any individual block is to have the bores sonic tested to see if there is enough material to bore out the specific block you are considering. If you fail to have the blocked checked, you run the risk of breaking into a water jacket or suffering from a weak (thin) cylinder wall.

Could the 65' block you have commented on be a 427? Verify all the qualifiers (date, main caps, casting number). Have them check the bore diameter with a bore gage. If it's 4.125", or close, it's a 396. If it's 4.250", or close, it's a 427. If you are considering the block to purchase, consider the cost of a sonic test of the cylinder walls as insurance.

The other question, the girl? She was the Camaro owner's girlfriend (then wife, then ex-wife). She could have doubled for Natalie Wood with similar good looks, with ample additional qualifications (perfect for a distraction during late night heads-up racing).

\Thanks
splidecision63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 03:26 PM   #37
Injected Stingray
CF Senior Member
 
Injected Stingray's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2006
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63 340HP View Post
The answer is some early 396 blocks have been successfully bored out to the 427 bore. This is what we did, with a 396 block that had four bolt caps for all five main bearings (another indicator, in addition to the 1965 casting & 961' casting number).

The real answer to this question with any individual block is to have the bores sonic tested to see if there is enough material to bore out the specific block you are considering. If you fail to have the blocked checked, you run the risk of breaking into a water jacket or suffering from a weak (thin) cylinder wall.

Could the 65' block you have commented on be a 427? Verify all the qualifiers (date, main caps, casting number). Have them check the bore diameter with a bore gage. If it's 4.125", or close, it's a 396. If it's 4.250", or close, it's a 427. If you are considering the block to purchase, consider the cost of a sonic test of the cylinder walls as insurance.

The other question, the girl? She was the Camaro owner's girlfriend (then wife, then ex-wife). She could have doubled for Natalie Wood with similar good looks, with ample additional qualifications (perfect for a distraction during late night heads-up racing).



with everything but the bore on the 396. The standard 396 bore was 4.096" up until 1970 then they were bored 4.126" to 402".
Injected Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 03:26 PM
 
Go Back   Corvette Forum > C1 & C2 Corvettes, 1953 - 1967 > C1 & C2 Corvettes
Reload this Page 396 vs 427 Why?
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
265, 283, 396, 427, 65, 66, bolt, bore, bored, casting, double, jackets, make, number, sale, thin, wall, water


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Click for Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Liters vs. cubic inches vs. marketing vs. common sense Navy Blue C4 General Discussion 25 04-08-2004 03:32 PM
Liters vs. cubic inches vs. marketing vs. common sense Navy Blue C3 Tech/Performance 20 04-07-2004 02:21 PM
Liters vs. cubic inches vs. marketing vs. common sense Navy Blue C1 & C2 Corvettes 11 04-06-2004 11:28 PM
I may have to sell my 58, price help needed. Kyle69-71 BBs C1 & C2 Corvettes 11 05-22-2003 09:54 AM
AO Smith vs St Louis bodies clearrun C1 & C2 Corvettes 32 04-23-2002 11:37 PM
Original drivetrain vs. numbers matching sixtyseven427 C1 & C2 Corvettes 67 03-06-2002 06:21 PM
440 Chrysler vs. Big Block Chevy: marky mark C3 Tech/Performance 205 01-13-2002 10:51 PM
400 sbc VS. 350/383/396 dtorc4 C4 Tech/Performance 12 12-29-2001 10:29 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:43 PM.


Emails & Password Backup

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2