C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Jimmi Hendrix Corvettes....

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 02:48 PM
RoadKing96
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by vettme
Great story.
Great story, but are you guys honestly buying it's really the actual Tom Finn?

This guy has 1 post and he just happened to sign up on April 17th, the one and only day he happened to post this 'great story'.

I'm calling Fraud....just my opinion

RK
Old 04-19-2010, 04:05 PM
BT427
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"..pretty balerina, her hair so brilliant that it hurt my eyes". Now that was a Left Banke song! Where you on that one too.

bob
Old 04-19-2010, 04:28 PM
chgoblue
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadKing96

This guy has 1 post and he just happened to sign up on April 17th, the one and only day he happened to post this 'great story'.

RK
Old 04-19-2010, 04:31 PM
nassau66427
Safety Car

Location: going faster miles an hour...with the radio on in browns mills new jersey
Received 71 Likes on 45 Posts

Old 04-19-2010, 05:30 PM
bmcnitt
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RoadKing96

RK
Yeah, now that I look back on the post, the date of post, the "67 or 68" comment I think we got duped. Atleast I did.
Old 04-19-2010, 06:27 PM
jlagarde
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nassau66427
I'm glad my kids were grown before these guys showed up. They're creepy.

Anyway, what a ton of music that came out of just a bass player, drummer and Jimi.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:08 PM
nitromainia
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 72 Posts

Too interesting and plausible to make up.... IMHO

.....Tom?
Old 04-25-2011, 08:49 PM
bolero
4th Gear

that tubbies vid is hilarious!!

damn all those youtube links are dead...does anyone still have footage?

or does anyone have any more pics of Jimi's vettes?

Old 04-25-2011, 09:59 PM
BrentF
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Old 04-26-2011, 07:16 AM
Audiophobe
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 139 Posts

Those tele tubbies must have been doing the same stuff that Jimi was doing.

I saw him at Randall's Island in NY.
AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-26-2011, 04:35 PM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by chgoblue
I saw him in Chgo in 69, but was only 15, and got a far away crappy ticket.

You know that Keith Richards once came looking for him with a gun because Richards girlfriend took Hendrix back to her NY hotel, while he was touring the US, Hendrix had just had a guitar ripped off as usual, so she lent him one of Richards Stratocasters (sp).
You spelled Stratocaster perfectly. But KR plays Fender TELECASTERS about 99% of the time. They are an earlier Leo Fender design. Keef was one of the artists who helped expand the Tele's appeal from mainly country music into rock.

And Jimi almost singlehandedly saved the Strat from going out of production in the late '60s.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:49 PM
Audiophobe
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by sub006
You spelled Stratocaster perfectly. But KR plays Fender TELECASTERS about 99% of the time. They are an earlier Leo Fender design. Keef was one of the artists who helped expand the Tele's appeal from mainly country music into rock.

And Jimi almost singlehandedly saved the Strat from going out of production in the late '60s.
I never owned a Strat but always thought they were pretty cool. I'm sure you've seen the Tribute to the Stratocaster show. That was great. Jeff Beck blew me away.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:03 PM
SilverC1
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I think my two favorite Hendrix songs are "Fire" and "Red House". Red House is interesting because you normally don't associate Jimi with blues, but he was amazing in that arena as well. And Fire because of its amazing energy. And you have to admire any song that contains the line, "Move over, Rover, and let Jimi take over!"

One of the other highlights of the Woodstock movie (for me) was Alvin Lee and Ten Years After doing "I'm Going Home". Lee wasn't nearly as versatile as Hendrix, but he sure was fast! And pretty good at blues, as well. I always thought it was a shame that Creedence Clearwater Revival's performance at Woodstock didn't get captured in the movie. I'm forgetting now if it was due to some contractual issues, or whatever.

Here's a link to the band and song list (I don't know if it is 100% accurate, or not....):

http://www.artsandmusicpa.com/music_...dst69songs.htm

My vote for "band that was most out of place" goes to Sha-Na-Na, who performed after the Paul Butterfield Blues Band on Day 4, and just before Hendrix.....

Last edited by SilverC1; 04-26-2011 at 06:06 PM.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:32 PM
DansYellow66
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,636 Likes on 1,967 Posts

Originally Posted by Left Banke
Hi Everyone, My name is Tom Finn, I was the bass player of The Left Banke, " Walk Away Renee". In 1967 or early '68 I was going to a Club
called The Scene on West 46th Street & 8th Avenue in New York City.
Jimi was parked right outside the club, the car was a white Corvette convertable. I knew Jimi very well, so he asked me if he could borrow my bass guitar. I told Jimi , that it was at my hotel, on w.54th & B,way.
So he said to me" Do You want to drive?" I said OK. Then he said, "it's a stick shift" I said, Oh! I can't drive it, I don't know how. So he drove.
We went to my hotel (Bryant Hotel) now Ameritania, got the bass and came back to The Scene for an all night jam session. Jimi played bass for about an hour, them handed it to me as he switched to guitar. Imagine, me following Jimi Hendrix on bass. I was nervous as hell but I did it. That's the story - Jimi Hendrix owned a '67 or '68 white Corvette convertable. TF. 04/17/10
Tom - thanks for dropping in with that story. "Walk Away Renee", boy that goes back a ways and stirs memories. Great song. I remember the day I reported to college and my dorm in 1969. As I walked in to my Dorm for the first time someone had Purple Haze cranked up loud on their stereo in the lobby. I remember it clearly - I thought I had arrived.

Dan
Old 04-27-2011, 04:41 AM
bolero
4th Gear

thx Brent!

I'm in TO as well

I can't imagine what it must have been like hearing Hendrix for the first time, when that music was fresh & not played into the ground by all the "classic rock" format radio stations these days...ugh

I always dug his raw sound on the Radio One disc..."hear my train a coming" is a monster, and "drivin south" is just insane!!

pure cranked marshall stack bliss

ps that pic is from Jimi arriving at a gig in California, not a car dealership...I'll find the info
Old 02-27-2012, 01:06 PM
ralphspears
Melting Slicks

Received 773 Likes on 401 Posts

Default Jimi Hendrix Corvettes

Anyone have any pictures of him in the cars, many of the photos in this thread have dissapeared.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:52 PM
sub006
Race Director

Originally Posted by Nitrodamus
I saw Jimi Hendrix in a Dallas concert in 1967. He was the opening act for the Monkees of all people!
By the Summer of Love, the Monkees TV show had given them the exposure to have several #1 hits thanks to millions of girls under 14.

Although Hendrix called the Monkees "dishwater", the exposure was very helpful in getting his name out. The Beatles dug them as people and hung out with them every night when the "pre-fab four" were in Britain, much as they'd done with Jimi the year before.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:57 PM
sub006
Race Director

Originally Posted by nitromainia
Mr. Hendrix bought a Blue 68 at Blauschild's Chevrolet Chagrin Blvd. in Shaker Heights, Ohio -before a gig in Cleveland

He was accompanied by noted Rock Writer Jane Scott- He apparently paid (or had on him) around $8,000 in cash according to Jane Scotts personal memiors.....

Sounds like L-88 $$ Can anyone compile a 1968 sticker price?

I say they either gave him two or three grand back in change, or else he bought and trashed the "missing link" THIRD ZL-1!

Quick Reply: Jimmi Hendrix Corvettes....