C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C1 conversion kit for the windshield cables

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 01:22 PM
BOB WINSKI
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts

Default C1 conversion kit for the windshield cables

Hi Guys,Well going to finish the 60 this winter,I saw some where there is an up grade for the c1 windshield wiper cables.Instead of the cables it is suppose to be like a C2 set up.Does anyone know who carriers the conversion kit.Thanks Guys.Bob W
Old 02-02-2008, 01:32 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 728 Likes on 622 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

see this thread for the SPW conversion

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...dshield+wipers

Bill
Old 02-02-2008, 01:49 PM
BOB WINSKI
Melting Slicks

Bill,T
Old 02-02-2008, 01:58 PM
BOB WINSKI
Melting Slicks

Bill,Thanks for the info very informative.After reading it, it looks like it can be a little bit of a PIA.Thanks Bob W
Old 02-02-2008, 02:39 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by BOB WINSKI
Bill,Thanks for the info very informative.After reading it, it looks like it can be a little bit of a PIA.Thanks Bob W
there is another type of conversion kit that uses some cam & plates, forget who makes it, but some people that have tried it seemed to like it. maybe someone will remember what it is

anything you do under the dash is a PIA...
Bill
Old 02-02-2008, 05:40 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by BOB WINSKI
I don't think there is anything that you can put in there that won't be a PIA. However it wasn't that difficult in hind sight, just a lot of tight spaces. If your cluster and pedals and everything is out, then it isn't too much of a PIA, but if all that stuff was already in the car, well, I am 6'2" and a big guy. Getting past those pedals and stuff just isn't fun. I got my neighbor to come down and help me, thank goodness, he is about 5'7" 130lbs, so he just jumps under that dash now and is a real help.....where are you with your car in terms of what is done or not done?
Old 02-02-2008, 05:40 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by wmf62
anything you do under the dash is a PIA...
Bill
Bill, oh are you so RIGHT!!!!!
Old 02-03-2008, 12:16 PM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 66 Posts

I'm thinking of building a shield for a stock wiper motor (much like the distributor shield)...even though there won't be much, if any, clutter under the hood besides the wiper motor.

This mainly because of the threads obout the tedious installation procedure for aftermarket wiper kits. ....and because I'm thinking I'd hate to have to dig around under the dash after days of reworking the wiring , paint, carpet etc., should it need repairs/parts.

I remember one thread that stated that the stock wipers worked well when they were in top shape..comparing them to after market versions.

Any comments on that ..

Stan..
Old 02-03-2008, 12:22 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Stan's Customs
I'm thinking of building a shield for a stock wiper motor (much like the distributor shield)...even though there won't be much, if any, clutter under the hood besides the wiper motor.

This mainly because of the threads obout the tedious installation procedure for aftermarket wiper kits. ....and because I'm thinking I'd hate to have to dig around under the dash after days of reworking the wiring , paint, carpet etc., should it need repairs/parts.

I remember one thread that stated that the stock wipers worked well when they were in top shape..comparing them to after market versions.

Any comments on that ..

Stan..
Stan
the stock wipers are a POS and are liable to go haywire at any time (i've even had them try to wipe the hood...).

the conversions aren't that bad; the only real answer is to not drive in the rain (or use Rain-X)
Bill
Old 02-03-2008, 01:38 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

I've got the original cable/erector set version and as long as they are still working I ain't touching them ! Although, being new to vettes I was sure shocked when I looked under the dash for the first time and saw how primitive they are.
Old 02-03-2008, 01:43 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by fdreano
I've got the original cable/erector set version and as long as they are still working I ain't touching them ! Although, being new to vettes I was sure shocked when I looked under the dash for the first time and saw how primitive they are.
Frank
don't go out in the rain....
Bill
Old 02-03-2008, 05:57 PM
misfit1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was sure shocked when I looked under the dash for the first time and saw how primitive they are.
You almost made milk come out of my nose. There’s not much about C1's that isn’t primitive!
Dave
Old 02-03-2008, 07:33 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Originally Posted by misfit1
You almost made milk come out of my nose. There’s not much about C1's that isn’t primitive!
Dave
True, but that wiper cable/pulley arrangement reminds me of something I saw in Leonardo DaVinci's notebook...
Old 02-04-2008, 11:59 AM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Frank
don't go out in the rain....
Bill
Kinda what I'm thinking Bill. Just how often do you drive in the rain in one of these cars?

I'm pretty sure the only time I'll be out in the rain ...is by complete surprise...and I nearly always watch the news and weather with a cup of coffe to start my day.

For $500 and 3 days on my back scrunched up under a dash..I would even consider the "wiper delete option"...ha!

Now for reeal.. don't you think that in the "rare" instances that these cars are in the rain, the stock wipers (in good working order) would suffice?

I always thought it was at least 50% about cosmetics under the hood...and I have a cure for that too...

Stan...
Old 02-04-2008, 01:03 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Stan's Customs
Kinda what I'm thinking Bill. Just how often do you drive in the rain in one of these cars?

I'm pretty sure the only time I'll be out in the rain ...is by complete surprise...and I nearly always watch the news and weather with a cup of coffe to start my day.

For $500 and 3 days on my back scrunched up under a dash..I would even consider the "wiper delete option"...ha!

Now for reeal.. don't you think that in the "rare" instances that these cars are in the rain, the stock wipers (in good working order) would suffice?

I always thought it was at least 50% about cosmetics under the hood...and I have a cure for that too...

Stan...
Stan
as i said earlier, i have had the wipers start to go haywire (no idea why) and start trying to wipe the hood... they are also notorious for trying to wipe almost back to the door post...

keep dry....
Bill
Old 02-04-2008, 01:10 PM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Stan
as i said earlier, i have had the wipers start to go haywire (no idea why) and start trying to wipe the hood... they are also notorious for trying to wipe almost back to the door post...

keep dry....
Bill

Oh well...back to the drawing board. Maybe a "lot" of Rain X. ? Heh heh! ...Only problemwith Rain X is you can't see at night when approaching headlights are on high..the Rain X chemical reflects like something smeared on the windshield..

Cheers...Stan...
Old 02-04-2008, 01:15 PM
kenmo
Le Mans Master

Received 107 Likes on 51 Posts

True, but that wiper cable/pulley arrangement reminds me of something I saw in Leonardo DaVinci's notebook...
- Funniest thing I've read on the neat all day... Great humour... Love it...

Get notified of new replies

To C1 conversion kit for the windshield cables

Old 02-04-2008, 11:02 PM
HouTex1964Vert
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I converted mine and it was a semi-PITA. I had the dash completely out of mine. I had to trim my defroster a little so the rods would travel correctly......
Old 02-05-2008, 05:39 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

I'm betting most of the trouble with the original lash up is under-dash clutter hitting the cables and making them drag or jump off the pulleys. I had to take great care routing my tach cable to keep the wiper mechanism clear. 'Wiping the hood' may be another issue but I'll wait until it happens to me before I rip into the wiper assembly. My chances of driving my precious C1 in the rain are zero-to-small.
Old 02-05-2008, 05:58 PM
kenmo
Le Mans Master

Received 107 Likes on 51 Posts

However part of the fun of owning an old car is trying to make things better via upgrading....

Quick Reply: C1 conversion kit for the windshield cables