C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C1 tank with built-in elec fuel pump & return line

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 04:24 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by misfit1
Caution!!! You do not want to return your fuel to a vent, because your car will explode. The returned fuel line needs to go into the fuel, not terminated at the top of the tank. Static will build up in your tank, causing the fuel vapor to ignite!
In reality it would have to be very very cold, or have very recently purged the tank with fresh air to get a combustion, as the vapor pressure of gasoline will exceed the stiochiometeric high limit ratio vs air to get ignition in a tank, at normal temps, I believe about -40F is cold enough to ignite.

If you throw a lit match into a recently opened can (small opening, not a coffee can) or tank of gas that has liquid gas in it, the match will go out. At least that is what the equations tell us.

But abolutely yes, you want the return line below the liquid level to eliminate static buildup.

Doug
Old 01-21-2008, 07:13 PM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by wmf62
Dave
thanks for the info & the pix.... it is really helpful

i called Rock Valley this morning and they said they would supply and modify a new OEM style tank for me and install an in-tank pump and return for about what you have invested in yours. assuming that i do the EFI thing, i'll probably go this route rather than trying to reinvent the wheel...

again thanks...
Bill
Hey Bill..

Did Rock Valley mention anything about a baffle surrounding or sump for the pump? Just curious if there is any effort made to keep the pump from sucking air on a corner when low on fuel...

Stan..
Old 01-21-2008, 07:25 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 728 Likes on 622 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Stan's Customs
Hey Bill..

Did Rock Valley mention anything about a baffle surrounding or sump for the pump? Just curious if there is any effort made to keep the pump from sucking air on a corner when low on fuel...

Stan..
Stan
they said they weld a sleeve into the tank that has a square opening on the front to make sure that fuel gets in under acceleration and that has 'spiral' openings on the sides to act as baffling (baffles me too.. ), and that the sleeve effectively has a sump in the bottom. and, as i remember, the last C1 tanks are supposed to have internal baffles to control fuel slosh in cornering, but i don't know that as a fact.

the fuel pump module and return line then go into the sleeve.
Bill

Last edited by wmf62; 01-21-2008 at 07:28 PM.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:00 PM
Stan's Customs
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 88 Likes on 66 Posts

Hmm..Well that may be the ticket. Looks like the tight fitting issues of a stainless tank would be eliminated and and a considerable savings too. Stainless tanks are real nice...but stock tanks last 40-50 years, so maybe that will be long enough. If not... shucks, you just may just have to buy another one.....heh heh!

The number was about $700 correct? Is that soup to nuts... eveything needed.

Stan..
Old 01-21-2008, 08:11 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Stan's Customs
Hmm..Well that may be the ticket. Looks like the tight fitting issues of a stainless tank would be eliminated and and a considerable savings too. Stainless tanks are real nice...but stock tanks last 40-50 years, so maybe that will be long enough. If not... shucks, you just may just have to buy another one.....heh heh!

The number was about $700 correct? Is that soup to nuts... eveything needed.

Stan..
he said $700 plus shipping (about $50 to Florida), no regulator though
Bill

Last edited by wmf62; 01-22-2008 at 01:49 PM.
Old 01-22-2008, 01:13 AM
midnight1957
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fuel pump

Bill, as mentioned earlier the "Tanks" setup is pretty neat. I used in in a 40 Ford that I built with TPI and I have put their pump in my stock 62 tank that I installed the LS1 in. All you have to do is cut the hole and mount the pump inside the tank, it has a baffle setup in it and has a return line also that returns the fuel to the bottom of the tank. The picture posted earlier looks just like mine, you get everything you need.

Good luck,
Wade
Old 01-22-2008, 05:42 AM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Wade
i just went back and looked at Misfit1's pix and between the 2 of you figured out what he was really saying... i didn't realize that there was a company called 'Tanks'; just Googled it and finally found it. i wouldn't be surprised if that is the unit the Rock Valley uses in their tanks. i'll give them a call..; but it may be easier (for me) just to get the whole thing preassembled; i'll ask if they can do that.

haven't heard from you in a long while, how'd your projects turn out?
Bill

Last edited by wmf62; 01-22-2008 at 05:50 AM.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:08 AM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

called Tanks, Inc this morning and they only sell the kit, and will not install it in a stock tank for me...
Bill
Old 01-22-2008, 10:57 AM
misfit1
Advanced

Hey Bill,
I guess that was a little difficult to understand. Yes, the company is called
Tanks http://www.tanksinc.com/
and I got the high performance pump, PA-4.

The kit came with everything to drop the pump into the tank. There in no way to mount the pump so their baffle will sit flat on the bottom of the gas tank. (Yes, their pump comes with a baffle.) So, I did some creative cutting on the pump mount and angled the baffle so it slightly hovered down the slope of the gas tank and the pump sat at the bottom of the gas tank angle. The money spent, I’m guessing at around $700, was for the entire fuel setup from gas tank to fuel rail not just the gas tank

If I had to do over again, I would still go with the GM filter/regulator. That is a very clean, efficient, single line run to your injection unit.

Hell Bill, I’ll set up your tank for a lot less and install the high performance Tanks pump!.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:17 AM
misfit1
Advanced

Hey Doug, I used to own a gas station and on two occasions I witnessed this. Some guy fills a plastic gas can in the back of a pickup truck with a plastic bed liner and the combination seams to set off a static charge and in turn, starts a fire. The second one I got on the intercom to warn the guy when, Puff, it caught on fire. I think the man soiled himself ! They didn’t explode, but they did catch fire, close enough for a disastrous outcome. I guess in theory it happens the way you explained (way over my head), but ya know, anything can happen!
Old 01-22-2008, 01:47 PM
wmf62
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Hey Bill,
Hell Bill, I’ll set up your tank for a lot less and install the high performance Tanks pump!.
i appreciate the offer, but i'd have to order a new tank, have it sent to you, you'd have to get 'stuff' and do the mod, and then send it on to me..
Bill
Old 01-22-2008, 05:57 PM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Hey Doug, I used to own a gas station and on two occasions I witnessed this. Some guy fills a plastic gas can in the back of a pickup truck with a plastic bed liner and the combination seams to set off a static charge and in turn, starts a fire. The second one I got on the intercom to warn the guy when, Puff, it caught on fire. I think the man soiled himself ! They didn’t explode, but they did catch fire, close enough for a disastrous outcome. I guess in theory it happens the way you explained (way over my head), but ya know, anything can happen!
What happened here was either the gas can was full of air and didn't have a liquid heel to provide enough vapor pressure or the flowing gasoline from the nozzle pulled air in from the outside due to bernoulli principle, and a lot of people, including me, have the nozzle real close to the opening so you can see what is going on in the can.

Doug
Old 01-22-2008, 09:44 PM
midnight1957
Racer

Default 62 Corvette

Bill, I have stalled with my restomod Corvette. I mocked up everything then removed it and took it to the paint shop back in the fall. My painter is very busy and I think maybe dragging his feet also. Maybe I will have it back in a few months and put everything back in.
I am almost at the point of maybe selling it, maybe let someone else paint it and put the interior in it. It does look sweet with the powder coated chassis and the LS1 engine and 4L60E trans painted the same color as the chassic, it will make an awesome car.
Thanks and good luck on your FI,
Wade

Quick Reply: C1 tank with built-in elec fuel pump & return line