C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

OT: 454 OIL PORT and WATER TEMP QUES

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 08:16 PM
Black60
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default OT: 454 OIL PORT and WATER TEMP QUES

Folks:
I'm prepping my Dad's Winnebago for the trip to Daytona and want to add new Auto-Meter Gauges. The Winnebago units are junk.

Question 1): 1986 454 Chevrolet engine. Can I use the plugged port just above the oil filter to pick up engine oil pressure? There is a 4 sided plug screwed into the threaded port.

Question 2): Is there any other place on the block where I can pick up water temp other than the side of the heads?

My gauges are mechanical units.

Thanks,

Black60
Old 01-16-2008, 10:48 PM
mikem350
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 92 Posts

Try the port above the filter, it should have oil on it. For water look at the top of the intake near the thermo housing.

I would also try to find the original sending units, maybe use their ports
Old 01-17-2008, 12:08 AM
76rich
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The hole above the filter is fine for oil. The 4-sided plug you are talking about is 5/16" square. It is too big for 1/4" drive and too small for 3/8" drive. You can use 5/16" key stock to remove it. There is also a hole low and near the very front of the block on the same side that you can use a wrench on. Most aftermarket gauges recommend that you do not put their temperature senders in the head do to the extreme exhaust temps will cause their readings to be abnormally high. It would be best to put the temp sender in the intake or next the radiator.
Richard
Old 01-17-2008, 08:06 AM
Black60
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 76rich
The hole above the filter is fine for oil. The 4-sided plug you are talking about is 5/16" square. It is too big for 1/4" drive and too small for 3/8" drive. You can use 5/16" key stock to remove it. There is also a hole low and near the very front of the block on the same side that you can use a wrench on. Most aftermarket gauges recommend that you do not put their temperature senders in the head do to the extreme exhaust temps will cause their readings to be abnormally high. It would be best to put the temp sender in the intake or next the radiator.
Richard
Richard and Mike thanks for the replies.

The oil port forward and left on the engine already has the warning light and sender in it. I want to retain that. I will access the port above the filter to run the pressure line.

As far as water temp I absolutely agree that the ports in the heads are very close to the manifolds and might damage the probe and tube.
I will take another look on top but I did not see any possible hole plugged or in use.

Get notified of new replies

To OT: 454 OIL PORT and WATER TEMP QUES

Quick Reply: OT: 454 OIL PORT and WATER TEMP QUES