C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1960 corvette engine date codes, stamped

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 08:06 PM
kpasa494
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1960 corvette engine date codes, stamped

I have a freind who is getting up in years and has offered to sell his 60 corvette it is a un restored car with a 230 hp single carb ,and 4speed, the frame is perfect. it came from texas 25 years ago, and he has owned that long . he is a very good friend and is not a corvette expert . or never clamed to be .he got the car when prices were alot less . i copied the serial##00867s106929 i purchased a chevy book of ## and it gets me in the ball park but no cigar!! i want to buy the car . but i have to know if it is a block , trans, and rear end matching car . it seems to mean alot these days . how far can the block casting dates preced the build date is the stamped ## on the front pad build date match the tag on the collum?I see that that it should start with f for flint and end in cq for single carb with 4 speed??. it has a cast iron trans case with alloy tail shaft .. i cant insult this friend by picking his car apart . he just wants to make an good offer i sure can use your help

Last edited by kpasa494; 01-06-2008 at 08:10 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-06-2008, 08:21 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,099 Posts

#6929 was built on or about April 28, 1960. The stamped date on the front pad (which should also have the last 6 digits of the VIN stamped on it, matching those on the VIN tag on the column) must precede the car's build date, and the block casting date must precede the stamped engine assembly date.

The trans sounds correct - it should have a T10-1B main case, a T10-7B tailhousing, and a T10-148B side cover.

The diff center section has the casting number and date in raised characters on the driver's side facing forward, and has a faintly-stamped ratio code and date on the forward face on the passenger side. Post what you find and we can decode it.

Old 01-06-2008, 08:40 PM
kpasa494
Cruising

sound good then the engine stamped should read F106929CQ and the 1 should look like a I? it looks like it stamped very light , how many months back do the casting ## precede thanks JIM
Old 01-06-2008, 09:41 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by kpasa494
sound good then the engine stamped should read F106929CQ and the 1 should look like a I? it looks like it stamped very light , how many months back do the casting ## precede thanks JIM
The engine assembly stamp should read F4XXCQ, where the "XX" are two numbers for the day of the month; that assumes the engine was built in April (the "4"). That stamp will be on the inboard end of the pad, and any 1's in the engine plant stamp will probably be an "I" character. The last six digits of the VIN will be stamped (in a different font) on the outboard end of the pad, and any 1's will be a number "1", not an "I" character. The block casting date is typically 1-6 weeks prior to the stamped engine assembly date, but full judging credit is given as long as it's no more than six months prior to the car's final assembly date.
Old 11-23-2012, 02:30 AM
raygantus
Intermediate

Default 1960 106884

Originally Posted by kpasa494
I have a freind who is getting up in years and has offered to sell his 60 corvette it is a un restored car with a 230 hp single carb ,and 4speed, the frame is perfect. it came from texas 25 years ago, and he has owned that long . he is a very good friend and is not a corvette expert . or never clamed to be .he got the car when prices were alot less . i copied the serial##00867s106929 i purchased a chevy book of ## and it gets me in the ball park but no cigar!! i want to buy the car . but i have to know if it is a block , trans, and rear end matching car . it seems to mean alot these days . how far can the block casting dates preced the build date is the stamped ## on the front pad build date match the tag on the collum?I see that that it should start with f for flint and end in cq for single carb with 4 speed??. it has a cast iron trans case with alloy tail shaft .. i cant insult this friend by picking his car apart . he just wants to make an good offer i sure can use your help
Could you help of what my engine pad stamp should read? I got a1960 serial number ending 106884
Old 11-23-2012, 02:31 AM
raygantus
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JohnZ
The engine assembly stamp should read F4XXCQ, where the "XX" are two numbers for the day of the month; that assumes the engine was built in April (the "4"). That stamp will be on the inboard end of the pad, and any 1's in the engine plant stamp will probably be an "I" character. The last six digits of the VIN will be stamped (in a different font) on the outboard end of the pad, and any 1's will be a number "1", not an "I" character. The block casting date is typically 1-6 weeks prior to the stamped engine assembly date, but full judging credit is given as long as it's no more than six months prior to the car's final assembly date.
Could you help of what my engine pad stamp should read? I got a1960 serial number ending 106884
Old 11-23-2012, 05:32 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by raygantus
Your car was built on April 27th (give or take a day or two), so there will be two different stamps on the block pad. On the outboard end of the pad it would be stamped "106884"; on the inboard end of the pad, the stamp will start with "F", then two numbers for the month, then two numbers for the day of the month, then two letters for the engine suffix code (depends on which engine and transmission you have). Yours would want to be dated (typically) 2-4 weeks prior to the car's final assembly date.

Get notified of new replies

To 1960 corvette engine date codes, stamped

Quick Reply: 1960 corvette engine date codes, stamped