C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1957 "Airbox" Corvette - What is it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 03:19 PM
Tyler Townsley
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by DZAUTO
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, Tyler, am I seeing red DUCT TAPE holding the tach on the steering column?????????
As I said the car was NOT completely done but since the theme was 57's and it was a special car they brought it. I expected some one else to post some pictures taken there as there were a LOT of people who saw it. Bloomington may have a lot of fluff about it but Bill Locke gets special cars and this year was one of those. Unfortunatly this next year (Celebrating L88s) will be the last year of a special collection since it brings in no revenue.

Tyler
Old 12-18-2007, 05:13 PM
john neas
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Soft Top

Originally Posted by ls6racer
It looks like it also has a soft top (deck lid latches). I'm surprised a racer would have the soft top.
There were a number of these race option 57s ordered with both tops. The car was bought new picked up at the factory by a Chevrolet dealer and his intent was to race the car in 57 and then sell it. A two top car might have been easier to sell. The car I have is similar ie two tops and it was a sold unit probably before it ran its last two races (Watkins Glen and Bridgehamton). I believe the sales invoice called for Rosenthal Chevrolet to fix cracks. I dont believe the soft top ever made it back into the car.
Regards

Last edited by john neas; 12-18-2007 at 05:23 PM. Reason: Regards
Old 12-18-2007, 05:22 PM
john neas
Pro

Default Metal fairing

John,
I read about this in Ken's book, and was somewhat unclear as to just what he was talking about (I can't find the page right now, but I'll keep looking until I find the page). Now it is a little more clear.
I wonder just how many of these metal fairings exist today?????
WE NEED MORE PICTURES OF THIS FAIRING! WHO CAN POST THEM?????
There may only be one of these fairings to start with. I think that Joel and Bill may have had it in the junk pile until Ken Kayser told them that it belonged on the car.
Regards
Old 12-18-2007, 05:38 PM
john neas
Pro

Default Spring clamps with bolt and spacer

Originally Posted by Keith@VetteFinders
I came across some additional information about this airbox Corvette that started the conversation. Here are some additonal photos with the captions from the story:

Link to Video about the Corvette and its restoration:
http://www.middletownjournal.com/m/mplayer/m/48886

Bill Howe's 1957 Airbox Corvette "4007" was partially disassembled and left in a barn in Butler County until it was purchased in 2005 by car historian Bill Connell and fully restored by restoration expert Joel Lauman.

Special duct work on the 1957 Corvette "4007" allowed ambient air from the car's airbox to cool its brakes.

Corvette historian Ken Kayser spent two days in 2005 verifying the car purchased by Bill Connell and Joel Lauman was not only an authentic 1957 Airbox, but was the pilot car of the 43 that were manufactured that year.

The airbox on the 43 Airbox Corvettes that Chevorlet made in 1957 is one of the aspects that makes the car unique. The parts work together to help keep the engine and brakes from overheating. This picture shows the airbox before restoration.

Restoration Complete

Additionally, I used the information gleaned from this thread on a post about the 1957 airbox Corvette on my Corvette Blog. I'd especially like to thank DZAUTO again for his background information on the airbox option.

Keith
Please note the bolts and spacers through the clamps on the RPO684 five leaf springs. This was only on the early cars. On the later cars the clamps were folded over and the bolts and spacers were gone.

Regards

Last edited by john neas; 12-18-2007 at 05:43 PM. Reason: delete sentence
Old 12-18-2007, 08:08 PM
L78racer
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

in the film clip showing the car pulling out of a building; it appears the fairing is not there. just a quick glimpse, you see the silver outer tach head.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:48 PM
john neas
Pro

Originally Posted by ls6racer
in the film clip showing the car pulling out of a building; it appears the fairing is not there. just a quick glimpse, you see the silver outer tach head.
Mistake. The fairing was vinyl. The owners have pictures when the car was new. The fairing was under the farmers bed when they purchased the car. If you want to talk to one of the owners this evening call.
Bill Connell before 11.00 pm EST 12-18-07
513-281-0678
Old 12-19-2007, 12:17 AM
L78racer
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by john neas
Mistake. The fairing was vinyl. The owners have pictures when the car was new. The fairing was under the farmers bed when they purchased the car. If you want to talk to one of the owners this evening call.
Bill Connell before 11.00 pm EST 12-18-07
513-281-0678
not disputing it. just don't see it in the film clip.
Old 12-19-2007, 12:32 PM
bill connell
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default soft top on airbox

Bill Howe took delivery of the car with the soft top, courtesy light and whitewall tires, which are clearly shown in period photographs of the car being delivered at the factory on 5/16/57 The "frills" however were removed prior to the car's first race at the Cumberland National SCCA event on 5/19/57. Bill was a Chevrolet dealer, and ordered the frills to make the car easier to sell off his lot at the end of the race season.
Originally Posted by 67L36Driver
Weight?

What better way to loose extra pounds. On a C2 you can remove about 40# by removing the soft top. Just four bolts.
Old 12-19-2007, 12:52 PM
bill connell
Advanced

Default airbox tach fairing

Given Ken Kayser's belief that the 4007 car was the pilot for subsequent RPO 579D production, he believes the fairing was a "one off" out of GM Engineering (as are other parts on the car), and was simply discarded from later production cars for cost and line effeciency reasons. He identified similar fairings on various race and show cars built in the Engineering shop. We have period photos of the fairing on the car at time of delivery, during later races, and at the time the car was removed from the barn over forty years later
John,
I read about this in Ken's book, and was somewhat unclear as to just what he was talking about (I can't find the page right now, but I'll keep looking until I find the page). Now it is a little more clear.
Old 12-19-2007, 03:36 PM
bill connell
Advanced

Default pictures

[Tom,

Being a bit of a techniphobe, this is my first venture into a chat room. Indeed, I really didn't know what a chat room was until John Neas called me Sunday morning to tell me that 4007 was a popular subject of discussion! John was then kind enough to take me by the hand and lead me through the process of finding you guys.

Now,as to pictures, I don't have a clue as to how one goes about putting photographs on a computer. There are however a ton of pictures of the car already circulating from Bloomngton and Carlisle, not to mention last Sundays' news story.We are hopeful that we can finish the car within the coming year,and look forward to the time when everybody can see it in real life.

QUOTE=DZAUTO;1563235599]Hey Bill,
Great to see you here!!!!
Now, on with the details about 4007!
Oh ya----------------AND MORE PICTURES!!!
Since a picture is worth 1000 words, and if you post 100 pictures, then you won't have to say much! [/QUOTE]
Old 12-19-2007, 03:42 PM
DZAUTO
Race Director

Received 3,766 Likes on 1,669 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C1 of the Year Finalist

I fully understanding EXACTLY what you mean by posting pictures. When I first started trying----------------AND I MEAN TRYING------------------to post pictures, I became very frustrated! But, finally, after a while, I got it figured out and now I can post pictures with no difficulty.
Old 12-19-2007, 03:44 PM
62Jeff
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by bill connell
Tom,

Being a bit of a techniphobe, this is my first venture into a chat room. I...
Welcome Bill, this place is full of nice and helpful people. Looks like you have a great car there.

Jeff
Old 12-19-2007, 04:27 PM
LouieM
Race Director

Received 3,032 Likes on 1,250 Posts

, Ken Kayser has now put everyone on their ear with his revelations in his new book.
Do you have a complete reference to this book? I've not heard of it and just did a quick google search and couldn't find it. Thanks.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:09 PM
bill connell
Advanced

Default Kayser book

Louie,

To see the Kayser book, go to
tachometerpress.com. Their web page shows a table of contents, and provides order forms for both the soft cover and the hard cover----but somebody told me the hardcover limited edtion is sold out.
Originally Posted by LouieM
Do you have a complete reference to this book? I've not heard of it and just did a quick google search and couldn't find it. Thanks.
Old 12-19-2007, 08:53 PM
LouieM
Race Director

Received 3,032 Likes on 1,250 Posts

Originally Posted by bill connell
Louie,

To see the Kayser book, go to
tachometerpress.com. Their web page shows a table of contents, and provides order forms for both the soft cover and the hard cover----but somebody told me the hardcover limited edtion is sold out.
Bill, thanks for the info, I'll go look it up. Thanks also for your diligence in tracking down 4007. A favor to all of us! How exciting you must have been to get hold of it and to see it emerging from its burial in dust and time.

Lou
Old 12-19-2007, 09:59 PM
bill connell
Advanced

Default tach fairing

tom,

I don't know how to post photos yet, but if you would like a picture of the fairing, I'd be happy to mail you one. Just e-mail me your postal address, and I'll send you one. My e-mail address is wbconnell@cinci.rr.com. You can also feel free to call me at (513) 281-0678.

Bill
John,
Old 12-19-2007, 11:24 PM
scotty t
Burning Brakes

Received 263 Likes on 104 Posts
Finalist 2022 C1 of the Year - Modified

Originally Posted by revupL78
Thank you guys for the good thread. Always a pleasure to learn something new about corvette history. Plus it reminds be to pay a visit to the old timer down the road with a 57 in his garage that hasn't moved in 30 plus years. Maybe this time he will sell it
naaah he's going to restore it some day!

Get notified of new replies

To 1957 "Airbox" Corvette - What is it?

Old 12-20-2007, 12:55 AM
vettecityman53
Instructor

Airbox cars, or 579E's (or, 579D's??) have always fascinated me. I remember many years ago when one appeared, in full-restored form at Cypress Gardens (mid-1080's???). This was the first one to be seen restored. I don't remember who owned it, but I do remember he actually had two of them. The first restored car got a top-flight and was later sold. It was white with a red interior with silver coves. I also believe it was on a cover of "Vettevues." I also remember a very late 1957 that appeared for sale in the late 1980's in California, Missouri. It was a 270 horse car with the RPO 684 brake option. This guy couldn't commit to sell it.....first he wanted to sell, then later he wouldn't. I tried to buy it for years and the got tired of calling him (nagging him...). Later, I heard he had either sold it or traded it for a mid-year big block.

This thread is bring back to life my interests in these "airbox" cars. I consider these to be the first REAL public attempt to enter the racing scene by Chevrolet...thus the first real racing Corvettes.

I am wondering about the information about airboxes being installed on "other" Corvettes. As I understand it, the airbox cars were built without the metal reinforcements in the rocker panel areas. These metal reinforcements appeared in mid-1957 and appeared before airbox cars were built. These were eliminated for the RPO 684 option, which appeared on all 43 airbox cars. The RPO 684 option appeared earlier in the production year, before the reinforcements were in place. I am just wondering this; is there the possibility of a 1957 existing with the airbox but without the RPO 684 brake and suspension option??? I know the official airbox offering was the fuel injected motor, heavy duty brakes/suspension, radio and heater delete. It would be fascinating to know if there is an airbox car without the heavy duty brakes and suspension (and body modifications), and only having the airbox as a body modification.

Further, there is a registry for corvette race cars......fascinating reading...and sheds more light on this topic...

http://registryofcorvetteracecars.com/ee/index.php
Old 12-20-2007, 12:57 AM
vettecityman53
Instructor

.....for those of you who don't want to read through my previous long-winded pondering....look at this registry link...

http://registryofcorvetteracecars.com/ee/index.php
Old 12-20-2007, 03:00 PM
Paul Borowski
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 160 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

is strong enough to support that the Airbox RPO was 579D---------------NOT 579E. .... and decide for yourself if the Airbox option is 579 D or E.
...I can understand this as the 579"D" probably stood for "Ducts"...

...the 250hp/PG AirBox car is the one I'd want. Probably ONE OF ONE.

Quick Reply: 1957 "Airbox" Corvette - What is it?