C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Help! Windshield wipers won't turn off

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 03:02 PM
korvettekris
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help! Windshield wipers won't turn off

Just fired up my 67 L79 to go to the inspection lane and while doing a run through of turn signals, horn, etc, I turned on the windshield wipers and they won't stop while the ignition is on. I think the last time they were on was two years ago also for the inspection lane ritual. They work on both the slow and fast setting but turning the **** to the left does nothing. Since the motor works I'll eliminate that but what's next - is there a switch I should replace or is there something more obvious. As always, thanks in advance for any help.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:07 PM
Classic-Chevy-Guy
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 161 Posts

I would do an advance search of this forum, including the archives. I thought that the diagnosis is either a grounding or switch problem.

Good luck. Do the wipers have to turn off to pass inspection, or just turn on!!!!
Old 12-04-2007, 03:09 PM
67vetteal
Melting Slicks

Received 99 Likes on 39 Posts

Try pushing the Wiper **** in as if you were Washing the Windshield. The Wipers turn off when they are Parked and the Washer controls the Parking. Easy fix problem. Al W.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:22 PM
Trophy Blue
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You need to take off the front cover and clean the armature. The old grease turns to a glue like substance over the years and the mechanism sticks and it does not shut off. Carefully spray a degreaser or carb cleaner inside and clean it all out. Replace with new grease and it should work. Try this before replacing parts.
Old 12-04-2007, 04:44 PM
gimme5
Instructor

The On-Off switch only does two things: Open or close (for fast and regular speed wipes).

Remove the common wire from the switch and "Ohm-Out" the switch (measure the resistance from the common wire to the other 2 terminals) while On and while Off. Car ignition power is Off the entire while.

The resistance should read infinite (open) with the switch OFF and zero (or very low resistance) while ON.

Expectation: Very low terminal-to-terminal resistance while Off. This is the discrepancy and the switch should be replaced.

If this eval fails to point to the problem, suspect wiper relay malfunction.
Old 12-04-2007, 05:16 PM
Red64RoadsterMike
Racer

Originally Posted by Trophy Blue
You need to take off the front cover and clean the armature. The old grease turns to a glue like substance over the years and the mechanism sticks and it does not shut off. Carefully spray a degreaser or carb cleaner inside and clean it all out. Replace with new grease and it should work. Try this before replacing parts.
The parking mechanism is mechanical and gets gummed up. Mine did exactly the same thing. I also gained the knowledge to fix it here at the forum. Good Luck.

Regards, Mike
Old 12-04-2007, 08:33 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,033 Posts

I am having almost the same problem. On a 64 Vette the wipers will work on both speeds but when you turn them off they will make 5 swipes and then park. It is always 5 swipes and park.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:33 PM
jjgcorvette
Cruising

If you belong to NCRS there is an article in the restorer magazine a few years back that clearly describes how to fix the problem. If you dont belong, join and get the article from the restorer archives. Good luck!
Its a simple fix.

Get notified of new replies

To Help! Windshield wipers won't turn off

Quick Reply: Help! Windshield wipers won't turn off