C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Power of manual disc brakes

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 05:27 PM
Olustee bus
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Power of manual disc brakes

I am converting my 63 to disk brakes. I am using 67 parts (no kit). I am not sure I need or want power brakes on it. Won't it stop easily without power?

It is a four speed with no power steering.

What do you guys think?
Old 12-03-2007, 05:50 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 527 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by Olustee bus
I am converting my 63 to disk brakes. I am using 67 parts (no kit). I am not sure I need or want power brakes on it. Won't it stop easily without power?

It is a four speed with no power steering.

What do you guys think?
Having daily driven a 66 w/out power brakes, and then a 70 Vette with power, I would say I am confused. My 66 never needed the power brakes, but my 70 needed them badly (drove it in very cold weather when the power booster would freeze up - and braking then was terrible!). But then again, the 70 coupe was a loaded vehicle (every possible option), and the extra wgt. may of been the difference. The 66 convertible had one power option - the power antenna!

Plasticman
Old 12-03-2007, 06:08 PM
Zigler
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sure others will chime in, but I enjoyed my '71 4-speed without power brakes or steering. It was my summer daily driver and while I did not race it, the brakes felt firm and responsive (including a trip through the mountains).

I still have my '66 Chevelle without power brakes (all drums) or steering. Given similar tires, the Corvette felt MUCH better braking (and pretty much everything else). I understand this isn't a fair comparison, but these two cars are my only reference points to offer.

I think Plasticman's experience with the frozen booster isn't quite representative of a manual system. I've driven power brake systems with vacuum source failures and they did not feel the same as manual brakes.

- Brad
Old 12-03-2007, 06:20 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Received 1,844 Likes on 1,398 Posts

I have a '63 with manual drums. I have a '65 with manual disc. I do not guarantee either is representative of other '63's and ' 65's. That said, the '65 requires slightly less pedal pressure than the '63 for equal braking. Not much difference. I'd say if your current drum brake pedal pressure didn't offend you, the manual disc brakes won't either. They both bother some people. Make sure you get the correct diameter master cylinder with the manual brakes or you could end up with a hard pedal. I believe you need a 1" cylinder.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:37 PM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a 65 with 4 wheel disc brakes. I went to the power with dual master cylinder. Best thing I have done to the car. Feels soooo much safer with all the crazy people cutting me off or hitting their brakes. I am feel comfortable instead of keeping way back just in case! Love them!
Old 12-03-2007, 07:49 PM
MikeM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Kensmith
I have a 65 with 4 wheel disc brakes. I went to the power with dual master cylinder. Best thing I have done to the car. Feels soooo much safer with all the crazy people cutting me off or hitting their brakes. I am feel comfortable instead of keeping way back just in case! Love them!

The only problem with that is, you get the brakes working that good, now somebody will bust you in the butt for stopping too quick.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:51 PM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MikeM
The only problem with that is, you get the brakes working that good, now somebody will bust you in the butt for stopping too quick.
Geeeezzz, I hope not
Old 12-03-2007, 07:56 PM
CaveCreekChump
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Kensmith
I have a 65 with 4 wheel disc brakes. I went to the power with dual master cylinder. Best thing I have done to the car. Feels soooo much safer
Love them!

Did the same thing to my '65 (with 4-wheel discs of course) exactly one year ago. I have been driving the car since 1971 and would never go back; I have soooo much more confidence in traffic.

Maybe I am old and weak, but the brake upgrade was so successful that I will now add power steering and aftermarket AC. Then maybe power windows.

Please, somebody stop me!
Old 12-03-2007, 08:06 PM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by CaveCreekChump
Did the same thing to my '65 (with 4-wheel discs of course) exactly one year ago. I have been driving the car since 1971 and would never go back; I have soooo much more confidence in traffic.

Maybe I am old and weak, but the brake upgrade was so successful that I will now add power steering and aftermarket AC. Then maybe power windows.

Please, somebody stop me!
I did the Vintage A/C but not power steering. I don't mind the arm exercise yet! Seriously, power brakes make a world of difference. And very cost effective.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:08 PM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Plasticman
Having daily driven a 66 w/out power brakes, and then a 70 Vette with power, I would say I am confused. My 66 never needed the power brakes, but my 70 needed them badly (drove it in very cold weather when the power booster would freeze up - and braking then was terrible!). But then again, the 70 coupe was a loaded vehicle (every possible option), and the extra wgt. may of been the difference. The 66 convertible had one power option - the power antenna!

Plasticman
That's because you were trying to brake a car with a power master cylinder without the booster. Power and Manual M/Cs are different.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:46 PM
woodsdesign
Safety Car

Received 538 Likes on 350 Posts

I did the whole shot to my 65 coupe. Added power brakes, steering and Vintage Air a/c. It makes the car a lot more fun. This winter I am upgrading to urthane bushings, KYB shocks and i think a fiberglass spring. I also ordered a 65 BB hood.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:48 PM
CaveCreekChump
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by woodsdesign
I did the whole shot to my 65 coupe. Added power brakes, steering and Vintage Air a/c. It makes the car a lot more fun. This winter I am upgrading to urthane bushings, KYB shocks and i think a fiberglass spring. I also ordered a 65 BB hood.
God bless you, sir.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:26 PM
TopLess62
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CaveCreekChump
God bless you, sir.
God bless us, Everyone!!
Old 12-03-2007, 10:26 PM
OCS1667
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The power brakes were part of my rebuild. I remember a member saying that the power brake additive would stop on a dime and give you 9 cents change. He is almost right, it's closer to 10 cents change. I have made a couple of quick stops, it's almost to much. I love it.
Dennis
Old 12-03-2007, 10:34 PM
CaveCreekChump
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by OCS1667
stop on a dime and give you 9 cents change.
Dennis

I first heard this on a Bill Cosby comedy album in the '60s.

It is an accurate description of the power brake upgrade, but no one could put a spin on it like Cosby.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:56 PM
Sean Dunshee
Drifting

I have a 65 with the DRUM brakes and added the power brake booster and it made a HUGE difference. We did the same to my dads 65 DRUM brake car. I also have a 66 Chevy II SS that has disc in front and drums in the back and it doesn't have PB and its kinda scary, I just ordered a PB booster so I can't wait to get it.
Old 12-04-2007, 05:06 AM
Olustee bus
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I appreciate the feedback. I guess I will go with power!

Get notified of new replies

To Power of manual disc brakes

Old 12-04-2007, 05:43 AM
MikeM
Team Owner

Just remember, stopping power will ultimately be controlled by tire adhesion to the road, not my the brakes.
Old 12-04-2007, 06:41 AM
Shurshot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by MikeM
Just remember, stopping power will ultimately be controlled by tire adhesion to the road, not my the brakes.

I have enjoyed the opinions shared and I have heard before how much owners enjoy adding power assist to their brakes. That being said does anyone think that their power assist will enable them to stop in a shorter distance or just with less effort (or the time taken to exert proper pressure)

For me a reason given to stop or slow down has always been enough encouragement for me to exert the proper amount of pressure as quickly as necessary and I question whether a power assist would shorten the distance any.

BTW does a dual manual system require more pedal effort than a single master cylinder?....... for safety sake that is a change I am thinking of doing this winter

Blessings

Doug
Old 12-04-2007, 07:35 AM
Tom/99
Team Owner

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts

I don't have power steering nor power brakes on my 65 coupe. I really don't see the need for either. I have to parallell park it quite often, with no problems. As for the brakes, they do stop without a lot of excessive pressure.

Quick Reply: Power of manual disc brakes