C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

A Long Love Lost

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 07:01 PM
vette61
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Default A Long Love Lost

SHE WAS the most beautiful thing I'd ever seen. We would go everywhere together-games, golf courses, long drives to nowhere at all. I'm sure my wife was insanely jealous but this hottie was worth it.
We used to have so much fun, just the two of us, soaking each other with the hose, going to the park and staring at each other for hours, pulling into the drive-in and hearing the other guys whistle. Yeah, she was high maintenance-and expensive. I was forever buying her stuff I was sure I'd bought her only the year before.

Everybody, though, said she was the most gorgeous beauty in town-with her cute little rear end, sweet headlights and succulent curves. Damn, you should've seen her with her top off. She was my little red 1961 Corvette. Rag top, white coves, 283 fuel-injected engine, big white sidewalls, gleaming chrome, big steering wheel, fuzzy red dice. Lord, she was fast. She could get rubber in all four gears.

We were together for 10 years, and every day with there was a joy. I could park her anywhere. Nobody messed with her. That car seemed to cut across age, sex and race lines. Old people ("I remember when those came out!" they'd say), middle-aged folks ("I was born that year!" they'd screech. And I'd reply, "Yeah, but most of her parts are still original") and kids ("Cool car, mister! What kind is it?) all adored her.

I remember the day I had to have one - 11 years ago, at the Miami airport. I was schlepping my bags out to the curb when a Coppertone blonde wheeled up and her J. Crew husband jumped over the passenger door, into the seat. They sped off, laughing, kissing, the wind in their hair, the road opening up into rainbows just for them.

Once I had her, I took her everywhere, Drove her in parades. Lent her to photographers. Used her to chauffeur my brother-in-law and his bride from the church, the long veil spread out over the trunk. They sat up high on the back while the people threw rice. Uh-oh. My baby was going to have more rice marks than Elizabeth Taylor. So I punched it, and the bride fell backward and nearly out.

That car was a slice of Americana. If I happened to be in a bad mood, I knew not to take the Corvette, because people wanted to talk to me at every stoplight. People love classic Vettes like no other car ever built. Did women like that car? Does Homer like beer? Single men, take my advice: Forget hair clubs, cool lofts, partnerships at the firm. Just get a '61 Vette and you will have more women than a tupperware convention.

But I let her go. It all happened so fast. We weren't speaking. I think she blew another water pump. Doesn't matter now. We were both hot over it. So I put money down on a sleek new Lexus coupe, walked into the kitchen and said to the wife, "Well, looks like we'll have to find a storage unit somewhere for the Vette because I just bought a new car!"
My wife looked at me as if I had said I'd boiled our three childeren and was now adding carrots. One sports car is all I get, she said. Sullen, I put the '61 up for sale. Every guy who called about it said the same thing. "I've been looking for a '61 ever since the day I sold mine!"
"When was that?" I'd say.
"Twenty-two years ago."

She sold on eBay in eight days, and the next thing I knew a huge flatbed truck was idling in front of my house. I had to bundle her up as if I were sending a child away. I had to fasten on the hard top, which I'd never used. "She doesn't like to wear this," I protested to the truck driver as he pulled away, window closed.

It felt like somebody had stored my chest in dry ice. I went back into the garage and couldn't believe how empty it was, how ugly it was, how useless. I stood there, and, for a few seconds, I cried. I realized how stupid I was being and that there ws only one thing I could do to get on with my life.....You know anyone who wants to sell a '61?

Article from Sports Illustrated many years ago.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:03 PM
wallemon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Such a sad, sad story. Brings tears to my eyes.

Thanks for sharing. I will die before I sell my 1960.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:17 PM
Bill Irwin
Drifting

Default A Beautiful Story

Thanks for sharing. I hope I don't have to write one on my 67. Lot's of love in that. Best Regards, Bill.
Old 12-02-2007, 11:24 PM
Qblue92
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I know I would be sad if My '60 left me. I'll never be able to afford another one. I've wanted one forever and still can't believe there's such a stunning car in my garage.
Old 12-03-2007, 12:02 AM
K2
Melting Slicks

Received 130 Likes on 63 Posts

A sad story indeed.
The thought has crossed my mind on occasion also but fortunately I've always come to my senses. She's been with me longer than my wife, kids, and grandkids and has never let me down. The greatest enjoyment I get from her is to see how she lights up the eyes and smiles of all kids from 3 to 94.
Thanks for the story and hope you find another soon.
Old 12-03-2007, 12:37 AM
willyv
Intermediate

Sad Story. Good one, too but probably more common than any of us like.
I had a similar one with a 63 split window. Got it in 67. My mom cosigned a loan for me. It was my first vette, 340+ and very fast. I hated the lack of rear visibility, very heavy clutch, lack of power steering, fixed top, and no AC. Drove it everywhere- beach, over railroad tracks at speed, cross country, street racing. Got all of the attention described for the 61. So much that I bought a Corvair for some cover. By far not the best car I have ever owned but the dearest to my heart.
I was was in the Army in 71 when I got a letter from my mom that she had sold it and I cried and still tear thinking of it. I had told her she could sell it if she got the outragous figure of $3500. That was actually a lot back then. Good thing was the money, and the GI bill, got me thru school and a 64 Mustang vert. Good return, I guess. Went through the usual mid life crap and was repeatedly told, just get another 63. Well, it ain't the same and I never would even look.
I have seen the light. Got a 63 vert carcass a few years ago and expect to have it on the road by summer. All that bad stuff should be fixed. C4 suspension, 383 LT1, 6 sp, AC, etc. I won't be the same but may be better. It will be good regardless.
About that 61- I just bought one for my daughter. She gets it when she graduates from college and hopefully I will be finished with it by then. It's not for sale- never will be. I hope it's as dear to her as my 63 was to me.
Thanks for stiring the memories.

Get notified of new replies

To A Long Love Lost

Quick Reply: A Long Love Lost