C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

soft top front bow rusted

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 02:49 PM
karista
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default soft top front bow rusted

Does anyone know a shop that restores the front top bows? Mine is rusted on both sides, I bought the aftermarket bow but it has many spotweld dimples and does not fit right. I would just as well have my original rusted bow repaired.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:26 PM
Seaside63
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Used to be, Sully's Tops in Clovis, California (Fresno) repaired and restored those. He did mine and it was saved.

I don't have contact info but you can probably google him.

----------------------

Posted in 2006....

Originally Posted by valrico_stingray
I just spoke to them. No website, no e-mail directly for the business. Here is what I have for them:

Sully's Tops
1075 Cole Ave # B, Clovis, CA 93612
Phone: (559) 299-9542 / (800) 451-3998

Any other number or address is incorrect.

Last edited by Seaside63; 11-29-2007 at 05:29 PM.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:13 PM
woodsdesign
Safety Car

Received 538 Likes on 350 Posts

Coffmans in Mansfield Ohio also has these headers. I would like to see a pic of the org header. I deal with this all the time. It may not be as bad off as you think. I have seen guys fill in the dimples you described. A good welder can probably save the header. send me a pic and I can better advise.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:58 AM
karista
Advanced

Ok, I will take some pictures and email them to you. The dimples I refer to are in a brand new replacement that I purchased from Paragon, so, since it also does not fit correctly I do not plan to fill in the dimples and repaint, it will be returned for a replacement. I would much prefer to see if the original could be repaired.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:04 PM
64tux
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by karista
Ok, I will take some pictures and email them to you. The dimples I refer to are in a brand new replacement that I purchased from Paragon, so, since it also does not fit correctly I do not plan to fill in the dimples and repaint, it will be returned for a replacement. I would much prefer to see if the original could be repaired.
hope you can fix the original, because YOUR RIGHT, the after market one i have fitts like SH*T!!!!
Old 11-30-2007, 08:32 PM
SpeedE55
Melting Slicks

Did you check in Hemmings?? There's always a few guys in there that do restorations on tops and frames.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:10 PM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

I just had to rebuild my top frame, and the front bow was rusted out from the car sitting out in the weather for years with the top down and the front bow collecting rain. The bow was not salvageable, but the Repro bow that I got from Zip, fit like a glove and was almost perfect.
About all I did was to remove the plastic tack strips and install the fiber ones. I really hate the plastic tack strips, they just don't seem to hold as well!

I am not usually a customer of ZIP, but nobody else had one in stock, and everybody said it would be a minimum of 4 weeks before they got any in, so I took a chance. I am sure that the same people make them for all the vendors, and mine fit exactly like an original. I would guess that Coffman makes them for everybody, and my experience is that Coffman does not have the greatest quality control. That being said, It is possible to get good fitting repro ones, but you may have to send a couple back to find one.

Regards, John McGraw
Old 12-01-2007, 12:06 AM
56 Texas
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

John ..

I would agree that Coffman is lacking in quality control, I had a terrible experience with them when I had my soft top restored .. Sully's has to be better ..

Get notified of new replies

To soft top front bow rusted

Quick Reply: soft top front bow rusted