C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C1 carpet replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 08:49 PM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Received 7,084 Likes on 4,737 Posts
Army

Default C1 carpet replacement

Any 'gotchas' before I attempt this ? Haven't done a vette before but on my '60s Mustangs I bought underlayment each time because the old stuff gets so torn up during replacement. Do you pull that center dash piece (the one with the clock and radio) or try to cut around it ? Where do you get those little carpet pieces for the door panels ?

I searched the forum but didn't see much along this line.

Just looking for tips before I booger something up unnecessarily.

Last edited by Frankie the Fink; 10-23-2007 at 08:52 PM.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:37 PM
jafranke
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It isn't too difficult. I did my 59 and have no special skills. It should fit the same on your car....from the picture it looks to be a 61. All my advice below assumes it is just like my 59.

The center console does not get removed. You will have to custom fit a bit around it and use the chrome trim piece to hold it down. YOu will have to cut out the place for the stick shift plate. The best way to do that is measure lay it out the way it will go in the car....measure up from the edge that fits against the seat separation to the center of where the shifter plate goes and cut a slit there...git it tight against the floor by sliding over the shifter and cut around...then cut up against the center console. The rest should fit in just fine. Seems I had to cut a bit to get it to srap around the back of the console correctly.

Good Luck.... I used Al Knoch carpet and didn't have too much trouble.

Jon
Old 10-24-2007, 12:08 AM
EVERGREEN
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have never seen the door panel carpet advertised as part of the floor carpet package. Perhaps you can contact Al Knoch direct or ask Ironcross here on the forum.
Would really suck if you had to purchase the whole door panel just to replace that little bit of carpet!
Jerry
Old 10-24-2007, 03:36 AM
sixt1vette
Instructor

Default you can get door panel carpet from AK

You can get the door panel carpet inserts from AK. I bought his carpet set and then realized that the door panel carpet inserts weren't included. Called them and they sent a pair to me for around $30 if I remember correctly.
Haven't put them in yet, but they sure look a little different than I'd imagined that they would.
The AK folks urged much caution in removing the carpet and trim from your door panel, because they're glued on and you could damage the panel during removal.
Also, the AK door carpet inserts come with new vinyl edge trim already installed on them.
Old 10-24-2007, 05:56 AM
Chicago Pete
Melting Slicks

I just did a 59 and it was really easy. Al Knoch set and a spray can of Super 90 adhesive.

Old 10-24-2007, 07:12 AM
vettes1st
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

You asked about jut backing. There is none originally on a Vette. It's foam rubber backed.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:21 AM
chris ritchie
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

You need to remove the seats. Look at instructions on how to get them out. Not hard. Try the bolts to make sure they're not frozen.

The center dash piece doesn't come out. The carpet kit contains a piece that'll go around it. The horseshoe trim piece that holds it down doesn't bend. (It's pot metal. New repro ones cost around $40. Don't ask me how I know this.)

Believe the carpet you'll get will have a foam backing. Some people also put some underlayment down for heat and noise. Your call. I almost always drive with the top down, so it doesn't make much difference to me.

The carpet kit won't contain the strips for the door panels.

If you use (and most people do) the 3M spray adhesive, be careful with it. If you get it on other surfaces, it'll lift paint. So mask well. Most amateurs use lots of glue to hold down the carpet. I watched a pro once. He used the glue very sparingly. Doesn't need much. The seats, console, side panels, and the door sills hold it down pretty good.

If you look at the AIM, you'll see that there's also a screw that goes in the floor at the upper inside corner. Rather than make a new hole after the new carpet is installed, use a pin to locate the old hole from the underside.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:58 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Thanks all - it actually looks like this will be easier than my old Mustangs; those cars required unbolting the seats from underneath with a deep socket and long extension through a small hole to get the bolts off the seat frame. Lose a bolt and it could rattle around in the sub-floor for years. Ordering the carpet today.

Chicago Pete - 'kickin' '59 fuelie partner !
Old 10-24-2007, 09:57 AM
1960fivette
Racer

Chicago Pete,
Your corvette looks great! My 1960 will be solid white with a blue interior when I finally get it done. Pictures like yours give me inspiration! Thank You
Greg
1960fivette
Old 10-24-2007, 10:07 AM
Frankie the Fink
Team Owner

Army

Looked at the carpet on my door panels under a strong light and they are indeed olive/black (not completely black) and in good shape so I won't need to mess with those, thank goodness.

Get notified of new replies

To C1 carpet replacement

Quick Reply: C1 carpet replacement