C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Hi all, I'm new to the forum. To start, I've 1 burning Q for C2 coupe Owners

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2001, 09:33 PM
Baxter
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi all, I'm new to the forum. To start, I've 1 burning Q for C2 coupe Owners

I am in lust with the mid year coupe {an elite group no doubt}, and shortly I will finally have the means to purchase my dream. However no one near me seems to have one. I hear these cars are very hot inside, so I should definely buy one w/ac. This really narrows my choices, so I ask those of you w/ 1st hand knowledge, what's the real deal???
Old 11-15-2001, 10:33 PM
67HEAVEN
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: Hi all, I'm new to the forum. To start, I've 1 burning Q for C2 coupe Owners (Baxter)

First of all, welcome to the forum. You'll love it here.

Secondly, yes they are hot inside....in my case very hot due to a big block with headers and side-mounts. But, and it's a biiiiig BUT, I don't let the heat, the noise, the rough ride or anything else dissuade me from my mission....driving the closest thing to heaven on the street that is possible.

Your level of masochism will vary depending on a) your age, b) your health, c) your tolerance for abuse, d) your area's climate on the hot summer days, e) how much control over your insanity your wife/girlfriend/what-have-you has.

Now.....go forth and multiply! :jester :crazy: :sleep:

Edited after looking at your profile.......if you can stand the heat all summer long in the UPS truck........well you figure it out!! :smash:

[Modified by 67HEAVEN, 9:34 PM 11/15/2001]
Old 11-15-2001, 10:56 PM
kellsdad
Melting Slicks

Received 771 Likes on 402 Posts

Default Re: Hi all, I'm new to the forum. To start, I've 1 burning Q for C2 coupe Owners (Baxter)

I have to agree with the previous post in that you don't buy or own a midyear Corvette just for transportation. Minor inconveniences like heat just don't matter much in a car like that. For the record, I've owned my non-air conditioned 63 Coupe since 1978 and I used it as my primary daily transportation while living in San Antonio, Texas and Phoenix, Arizona. I'm not recommending you consider air conditioning unimportant, but it might be better to be enjoying a non-AC car now than waiting another year or so for just the right car to come along.
Old 11-15-2001, 10:58 PM
Lightfoot
Le Mans Master

CI 1 through 10 Vet

I think you fell under the same spell most of us did. Took me till i was 45 years old, but i finally got one and she will be mine as long as i can hold on to her. I was fortunate enough to find one with factory air. yes they are warm without the air on, but i usually drive mine without the A/C on. Depends on how much of a purist you are, but aftermkt air can be added to most any vehicle. Either way you will be :cool:
The small discomfort of the heat will not be noticed as you drive down the road with the windows down and listeniing to that old chevy exhaust.
By the way, welcome to the forum. and i cant think of a better place to make your first post-than the C2 section. try to make it to the CF cruise-in in Bg next memorial day weekend. You will makes tons of friends and having a blast is almost guaranteed.
have fun
seeya
Lightfoot
Old 11-15-2001, 11:20 PM
RoadVettes
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Re: Hi all, I'm new to the forum. To start, I've 1 burning Q for C2 coupe Owners (Lightfoot)

Welcome to the forum. You will be spending alot of time here. Best place for VETTE people. My 67 coupe doesn't have A/C, It gets a little warm, but hey with the windows open and the sidepipes screamin' who notices a little heat. My 96 has all the comforts and I love that too, but nothing beats driving a C2 coupe, heat and all. Go for it with or without A/C.
Old 11-15-2001, 11:47 PM
62fuelie
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a 67 coupe with factory air. I live in the deep south, but rarely use the AC. As a practical point, there are aftermarket ac units for the midyear Vettes that probably perform better than the originals. If you are not interested in NCRS style judging, one of the Vintage Air units costs about $1200. They use a smaller compressor and it make less of a problem changing plugs, etc. A factory air car will cost you a lot more than an add on unit and probably not cool as well. Be SURE the cooling system is up to par. Some midyear Vettes had a propensity to run hot, and AC will only aggrivate the problem. :chevy
Old 11-16-2001, 12:04 AM
67HEAVEN
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Hi all, I'm new to the forum. To start, I've 1 burning Q for C2 coupe Owners (62fuelie)

And a great big HOWDY to you too 62fuelie!

Welcome home*
Old 11-16-2001, 12:20 AM
pittsaj
Burning Brakes

Welcome to the forum..
You have found the best place for Vette info on the planet..
The guys here are great,, Reams of info daily..

Do the cars get hot,, In a word.. Yes...

As one of the other members said, I wouldn't pass up a good car just because it didn't have A/C.. You can always add it later...

Anyway, it's not gona get hot for quite some time,,,
You don't need no stinking A/C now.. :lol:

Find a nice car and take it out for a nice long drive.....

Trust me, It'll be way cool :cool:

Tony
Old 11-16-2001, 09:51 AM
Tom/99
Team Owner

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts

I have a 65 Coupe with factory air. In Houston, during the summer, it is not all that efficient. But we tend to get in the upper 90's low 100's with high humidity. The car would be unbearable without air conditioning. :chevy
Old 11-16-2001, 10:35 AM
MasterDave

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Hi and welcome to the Forum. I've got a non air roadster and with the top down in the summer it still gets warm. Still wouldn't change a thing though, it's such a COOL ;) car to drive. As mentioned, a/c can be added anytime. Go for it..... :cheers:
Old 11-16-2001, 11:18 AM
67ratrag
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Vintage Air in San Antonio makes an add-on unit that fits under the dash, and works better than the original. $1200.00, whereas original A/C will cost an additional 2-5K above the price of the car. OUCH. I put an extra layer of insulation under the carpet, with a foil backing. I am also adding a layer of heat resistant material to the underside of the car- material and method not finalized at this time. I am more concerned about frying the underside of my car than I am about the heat- I have dual 3" pipes just under the floor with in-line Borla flow-thru mufflers (that I use as pre mufflers before the 2 chamber Flow masters in the stock position) that flare to 4 1/2 " that get even closer, so I need insulation there. You do what ya gotta do! :D
Old 11-16-2001, 11:22 AM
BlueShark29
Instructor

First, welcome to the forum.
I have read all the other posts, and I have to agree with all of them. I live in Florida (hot and humid all year long) and my two '65's, neither one have A/C. I drive them all as daily drivers, and with the fresh air vents opened running down the highway, they are very comfortable. Even if I had A/C in either of them, I would not use it as they are just too cool to drive and listen to the exhaust and the experience of driving such a cool car.
My '81 has A/C, but I rarely use it. It is actually cooler inside the car to run it with the windows open as well.
I hope you select your car for the enjoyment of the classic style (no jelly beans) and rumble of engine, rather than the creature comforts of a Cadillac.
Most Mid-Year Corvette buyers (when new) sought the performance of the cars and did not order the weight adding items. Very few A/C cars were made during the 63-67 era. As a note, my '65 Convertible was ordered with no options except 365 hp SB, 4 speed and 4:56 gears. I wonder what the original owner intended to do with that. :D
Good luck with your search.
Old 11-16-2001, 11:28 AM
Vette60
Pro

Received 112 Likes on 71 Posts
2021 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Default Re: Hi all, I'm new to the forum. To start, I've 1 burning Q for C2 coupe Owners (BlueShark29)

Welcome aboard...everybody's right on about the Forum...awesome source of info and great people too...

Hmmm, here's the A/C solution in the 60...open up the cowl vent and push the "go" pedal to the floor...seems the get the air circulating a bit...just a little rough when stopped...try to avoid that at all costs :)

Take care and good luck with your Mid Year purchase...
Old 11-16-2001, 11:41 AM
67HEAVEN
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Hi all, I'm new to the forum. To start, I've 1 burning Q for C2 coupe Owners (Vette60)

Hmmm, here's the A/C solution in the 60...open up the cowl vent and push the "go" pedal to the floor...seems the get the air circulating a bit...just a little rough when stopped...try to avoid that at all costs :)
This reminds me of a cute idea I ran into at a Cruise-In this past summer. Someone driving an old Chevy from the 1940s had painted the words Factory Air across the grill of the open cowl vent at the base of the windshield. If you remember what these vents look like, you'll get a chuckle!
Old 11-16-2001, 06:10 PM
propwash
Burning Brakes

Sounds like I don't have to sell you on getting a car but be careful how you go about it, plan on traveling a little to get the best bang for your buck. I have yet to find a owner of a c-2 that thinks its garbage and not worth anything, learn all you can about the car then avoid letting your heart help you do the looking welcome aboard. :chevy
Old 11-16-2001, 06:31 PM
FINWOLF
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 106 Posts

Default Re: Hi all, I'm new to the forum. To start, I've 1 burning Q for C2 coupe Owners (propwash)

welcome they are hot but they are great to drive
Old 11-16-2001, 06:33 PM
Kid_Again
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

welcome..you'll find a fine bunch of folks here (i appear to be the resident cynic :yesnod: )....
...be real careful when buying your midyear and you should consider taking along someone who knows these cars when you check out a potential purchase...don't worry about #match, wheel well flares, etc...worry about frame rust at the kick-up...just keep walking if you see that.....

.....i am completely spoiled and can't drive the coupe during an east coast july/august without air...i installed a vintage air kit and am very happy with the results...if you're going to go for a big block coupe without A/C, you will be at the limits of tolerence at the height of summer............

...on the other hand, you WILL be the coolest looking car until the next midyear shows up...go for it :cool: :cheers:

[Modified by Kid_Again, 4:35 PM 11/16/2001]

Get notified of new replies

To Hi all, I'm new to the forum. To start, I've 1 burning Q for C2 coupe Owners

Old 11-16-2001, 10:11 PM
K2
Melting Slicks

Received 130 Likes on 63 Posts

We welcome you to the fold Baxter. This is the greatest forum in cyberspace , a great bunch of guys and gals and they drive the best cars too! Don't rule out a C-1 they all came with factory air as previously stated. When you pop that cowl vent Leever wide open at 70 mph you better not have anything loose in the car. Works good on unsuspecting female passengers with long skirts. Also acts as a functional bug deflector to keep your windshield cleaner - splatters them on your legs instead of on the windshield. :lol:
Old 11-16-2001, 10:39 PM
RichF
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03, '04 & '05

Default Re: Hi all, I'm new to the forum. To start, I've 1 burning Q for C2 coupe Owners (K2)

Welcome to the forum!! Those little triangular vent windows work real well :D :D (As long as you're moving) Don't sweat it. (get it?)

[Modified by RichF, 9:39 PM 11/16/2001]
Old 11-16-2001, 11:07 PM
XKR100
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Default Re: Hi all, I'm new to the forum. To start, I've 1 burning Q for C2 coupe Owners (RichF)

Welcome to CF. When I was looking for my 67 BB there were many options
that I wanted the car to have, but when I saw her I knew just like my wife
she was the one!! Don't sweat the small the stuff, when you find the right car
you'll know it then buy it and enjoy the heck out of it. C2's are way to much fun to drive. :cheers: :yesnod: :cheers:

Quick Reply: Hi all, I'm new to the forum. To start, I've 1 burning Q for C2 coupe Owners