C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Glue Everywhere

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 09:27 PM
Vogie
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Glue Everywhere

I am cleaning the interior of my 66 Coupe after removal of the old interior. There is old and hardened upholstery glue on every surface. I am reluctant to try a heat gun and scraper. What is the fastest and safest method to get this stuff off.

The products or services appearing to the right of this post are not endorsed or recommended by the poster. The reader should use the listed products or services at their own risk. Any loss or damage as a result of using the listed products or services are not the responsibility of the poster. Thank you. - Vogie
Old 09-01-2007, 09:38 PM
SPLITRAY
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

That's good... Use a disclaimer, lest everyone think you are endorsing some hokey product in you're thread!
Old 09-01-2007, 09:40 PM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Vogie

A forum member recommended using Goop Off that comes in a spray can. I picked some up at Home Depot (or Lowes??) and did a test spot last week. It sprays out ok but does run vice stay in one place, however it did worl just fine as the spot was clean in a very short time. I followed that area up with some acetone and it looks very clean and fresh.

When I start this in a larger area I will use a brush to help break everything away.
Old 09-01-2007, 09:44 PM
Vogie
Drifting

You could not begin to imagine what I would write if an ad for Crane's Corvettes were to appear next to one of my post. I don't think the persons in power considered the seemingly remote possibility of an ad appearing with a post by a dissatisfied former customer.
Old 09-01-2007, 09:45 PM
Vogie
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mr D.
Vogie

A forum member recommended using Goop Off that comes in a spray can. I picked some up at Home Depot (or Lowes??) and did a test spot last week. It sprays out ok but does run vice stay in one place, however it did worl just fine as the spot was clean in a very short time. I followed that area up with some acetone and it looks very clean and fresh.

When I start this in a larger area I will use a brush to help break everything away.
Thanks for the advice. I'll try some of this stuff on my next attempt.
Old 09-01-2007, 09:50 PM
jprop
Drifting

Received 193 Likes on 115 Posts

I used Goof Off. It can be purchased in spray or gallon cans. I sprayed it on and let it sit a few minutes. The glue desolves and wipes right off. If you keep rubbing it will also take off paint so you will eventually reach bare fiberglass. It did a nice job with not much effort. In the areas that I rubbed through the paint it did not hurt the fiberglass. You do want to use it in a well ventilated area.
Old 09-01-2007, 10:44 PM
67-427ci
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Vogie
I am cleaning the interior of my 66 Coupe after removal of the old interior. There is old and hardened upholstery glue on every surface. I am reluctant to try a heat gun and scraper. What is the fastest and safest method to get this stuff off.

The products or services appearing to the right of this post are not endorsed or recommended by the poster. The reader should use the listed products or services at their own risk. Any loss or damage as a result of using the listed products or services are not the responsibility of the poster. Thank you. - Vogie
Hi Vogie: The best product I found is "Goof Off". It comes in aerosol spray and cans. I used the spray on my coupe last winter. Spray it on, wait about 20 minutes, the old adhesive becomes pliable and releases from the fiberglass surface, then use a putty knife and wire brush to to remove it. Caution.... make sure you are in a well ventilated area. This stuff will definitely kill some brain cells.
Roy

Before using Goof Off

After using Goof Off
Old 09-01-2007, 10:48 PM
valrico_stingray
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How about 3M adhesive remover?
Old 09-01-2007, 11:27 PM
richbopp
Melting Slicks

Location: Park City to SoCal - according to the map it's all down hill. No bad days in Indian Wells, California

Goof off or 3M adhesive ...................

But remember that you need to ventilate the area really good. I mean vent it REALLY good or else you'll start to see ads in your posts and wonder WTF is going on
Old 09-02-2007, 01:37 AM
Jack60
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by richbopp
Goof off or 3M adhesive ...................

But remember that you need to ventilate the area really good. I mean vent it REALLY good or else you'll start to see ads in your posts and wonder WTF is going on
Now if your old enough and don't remember the 60's ? That proves you were there, I think
Old 09-02-2007, 09:25 AM
Vogie
Drifting

Thanks gentlemen. All of the responses are appreciated. I have some of the 3M and will try it as well as the Goof Off. Some of the cement has hardened to the point and is so thick that I don't think the 3M will penetrate it before it evaporates. I'll let you know how it goes in a week or so.

I am old enough to have been involved in a couple of custom vans. Ahhh, rubber cement in a closed van. A small purple man just danced across my keyboard.

Last edited by Vogie; 09-02-2007 at 09:28 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Glue Everywhere

Quick Reply: Glue Everywhere