C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

60 clutch cross shaft, no greese fittting?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 08:22 PM
stratplus
Drifting

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Default 60 clutch cross shaft, no greese fittting?

Wouldn't ya think that there should be a grease fitting in the clutch z shaft. This would supply grease to both ends??

Has anyone installed a grease fitting?

Last edited by stratplus; 08-27-2007 at 08:44 AM.
Old 08-25-2007, 09:06 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 728 Likes on 622 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

many of us have. just drill and tap it (or get a self-tapping zerk) in a spot you can get easy access to it.
Bill
Old 08-25-2007, 10:46 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Received 527 Likes on 376 Posts

Best to remove the cross shaft and clean it out, so that metal shavings from drilling/tapping don't aggravate the situation.

But yes, add the Zerk fitting! GM really screwed up there.

Plasticman
Old 08-26-2007, 05:59 PM
chris ritchie
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

Pumping grease in that cavity seems like it'd be awfully messy. There's a lot of volume in that bar. And it's open on both ends. There's felt washers that blocks off the ends some. It gets warm in there, so the grease would be runny.

Anybody done this?
Old 08-26-2007, 06:00 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 728 Likes on 622 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by chris ritchie
Anybody done this?
yes..
Bill
Old 08-26-2007, 06:31 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Pumping grease in that cavity seems like it'd be awfully messy. There's a lot of volume in that bar. And it's open on both ends. There's felt washers that blocks off the ends some. It gets warm in there, so the grease would be runny.

Anybody done this?
Yep, on all my early Vettes. Had my 70 Vette for 247K daily driven miles, and always greased it, and never had an issue with the clutch (other than replacement once of the disc and throw out bearing).

If you use a good quality moly fortified EP grease, grease runout is very minimal (if any). Besides, which would you rather have, grease that has "run out" (or is past it's "prime") and is no longer doing the job, or a way of replacing that grease without removing the cross shaft?

Plasticman
Old 08-26-2007, 06:37 PM
tentuna
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts

If I remember correctly there is a felt oil wick on the frame side, why not oil the wick and by the block grease it with your finger and avoid the mess and haslle of the grease fitting and filling the cross shaft.
Old 08-26-2007, 07:11 PM
Plasticman
Race Director

Originally Posted by tentuna
If I remember correctly there is a felt oil wick on the frame side, why not oil the wick and by the block grease it with your finger and avoid the mess and haslle of the grease fitting and filling the cross shaft.
Huh????? Oiling and greasing with your finger is not going to put the grease where you need it. There is just no way of effectively forcing grease into those ends without removal of the cross shaft or via the added grease fitting.

The felt is more to keep the grease in, and dirt out. Oiling it will not lube the ball stud one iota. But grease does get "worn out", so if you want to play "remove the cross shaft" to properly grease it, so be it.

I would rather remove it once, and never have to do it again (to add the Zerk fitting).

Plasticman
Old 08-26-2007, 11:48 PM
67L36Driver
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Anybody done this?
It would be simple to slip in a wood dowel 1/16" smaller in diameter than the tubing bore of the bellcrank. Take up space and use a lot less grease.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:03 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,859 Likes on 1,102 Posts

Originally Posted by 67L36Driver
It would be simple to slip in a wood dowel 1/16" smaller in diameter than the tubing bore of the bellcrank. Take up space and use a lot less grease.
That's what I did on my C1's and my Grand Sport - used a wood dowel about 2" shorter than the tube, cut a groove along its length to connect a 1"-long cavity at each end with the grease fitting hole at the center (instead of filling the whole thing with grease), and it worked like a charm.

Get notified of new replies

To 60 clutch cross shaft, no greese fittting?

Quick Reply: 60 clutch cross shaft, no greese fittting?