C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

What' wrong with '64

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 09:54 AM
ceastham1
Pro

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

"naysayers" probably don't own a 64

I personally enjoy my 64 VERY MUCH and suggest you buy it if you like it !!
Old 08-20-2007, 10:35 AM
64muscl
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 64 Vettes

I love my 64, it is a great car and the interior to me is the best looking of the Mid Years
Old 08-20-2007, 10:39 AM
OldKarz
Safety Car

Location: On the bank of the Columbia River..... Washington State
Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

I have NEVER heard anything but positive things about my 64 on the street, in fact 99% of the people have no clue what year it is! I sometimes see a few on the forum make comments about 64's, but hey, that is what a forum is all about. If you like the car, and it checks out, then buy it as you will not be sorry.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:41 AM
Bill Lacy
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I like 64's and I think that you get the most bang for your buck. If you are lucky and get a 365hp what a GREAT and underaited Eng.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:57 AM
kenmo
Le Mans Master

Received 107 Likes on 51 Posts

Enjoy the 64... It may not be as desirable as a 63 or 67 but it's still a very rare car...

My 60 is not as desirable as a 57 or 58 or 62 but it doesn't stop me from enjoying... AND I enjoy it as much (and maybe more) then some rarer and more desirable cars around town...

Cheers

Kenmo
Old 08-20-2007, 11:14 AM
Road machine
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 164 Posts

I think there is some confusion about the 64 being undesirable and the 64 being the most affordable. I don't think that anybody thinks that the 64 is an undesirable year. The 64 is right now the lowest priced of the midyears, but that could change at any time.

As many have stated the 64 was not the first year but there are many problems with 1st year production of any model. As far as restoration goes the 63s are the hardest to get right because there were design changes throughout the year. 65s and 66s are more valuable today because they had disk brakes and it is believed that the build quality was at it's zenith in those years and they were the first big block years and of course 67s were the last and most powerfull of the midyears, and there is a big boost in the average value of the 67 due to the tank stickers which make it easier to prove what the car was.

Buying a 64 may be the smartest buy these days as far as investment goes. So don't be turned off by thinking that the 64 is undesirable, I would argue that there has never been a midyear built that was undesirable, there are simply higher and lower levels of pricing within the midyear market and the 64s average out to be the lowest priced now, but again that could change.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:24 AM
Sean Dunshee
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very well said. I think people get confused about the 64s as well. Its not an "myth" as someone said...they are just not bringing the kind of money the other years are bringing. That being said, as long as you go into the transaction knowing that you should be fine. Don't pay the big bucks for a 64 because you will have a harder time getting the money out of it if you decide to sell right away. But I for one would love to have the money to go get some of the good deals being had on 64s right now because I am sure the price will start to catch up. Do I think the 64s will ever be worth the same as the other years? No..but I do think the margin will shrink.

Originally Posted by The Machine
I think there is some confusion about the 64 being undesirable and the 64 being the most affordable. I don't think that anybody thinks that the 64 is an undesirable year. The 64 is right now the lowest priced of the midyears, but that could change at any time.

As many have stated the 64 was not the first year but there are many problems with 1st year production of any model. As far as restoration goes the 63s are the hardest to get right because there were design changes throughout the year. 65s and 66s are more valuable today because they had disk brakes and it is believed that the build quality was at it's zenith in those years and they were the first big block years and of course 67s were the last and most powerfull of the midyears, and there is a big boost in the average value of the 67 due to the tank stickers which make it easier to prove what the car was.

Buying a 64 may be the smartest buy these days as far as investment goes. So don't be turned off by thinking that the 64 is undesirable, I would argue that there has never been a midyear built that was undesirable, there are simply higher and lower levels of pricing within the midyear market and the 64s average out to be the lowest priced now, but again that could change.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:28 AM
Cobra66
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If you like it, buy it.

When I bought my '64 a couple of years ago, I was well aware of the "less desirable" perceptual aura surrounding that year's Vette. However, I found a nice one that was within my budget, still leaving a few bucks for refinement and optimization to my tastes. I've never regretted the purchase.

As many have said on this thread, few folks can tell the difference between a '64 and the later C2's. So, owning a '64 gives you nearly all the functional and aesthetic benefits of any year C2, but at a far more reasonable cost.

Buy it, enjoy it, and don't let the "'64's are undesirable" infidels get you down.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:32 AM
SatanicMechanic
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

'64 kicks azz. Naysayers don't have one. Screw market value, I have zero plans to sell. In 33 years of growing up with my '64, the comments on this forum are the closest thing to negative I've ever heard regarding the year. Most people don't even know what year it is. Many people don't even know that it's a Corvette. Some of those who don't know it's a Corvette, drive a newer Corvette themselves. Go figure.

'64 has my favorite features of all the midyears, from the hood indents without grills, to the fender indents, to the rear exhaust fan vents, to the cluster, to the *****, to the door panels, right down to the door locks. I imagine I'll catch some flak about this next one, but I've never been a fan of the split window either.

I admit I'm a little biased though, I've been around this car my entire life.

The car chooses the driver. Enjoy your ride.

Old 08-20-2007, 12:21 PM
tombachmann
Instructor

Well Put - Thanks!
I had another guy, who owns a custom shop tell me all "4's" are less desireable, 74-no chrome bumpers, 84 - horrible engine, 94 - not last,04 - not an anniversary, and not a C5.

Anyone can find fault when they want to. I do not plan on seeling the car in the short term, but I do not want to over pay either.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:31 PM
Injected Stingray
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

It's the same old story.
Price= Perceived value.
My friend was selling a low mileage 91 ZR1. He needed to sell it fast because his new car was coming in. He listed the car for $21,000 and had no action. Re listed it a week later for $24,000 because most were listed at $25,000 and sold it in three days to a guy in Canada that payed $1,200 to have it picked up and shipped up north.

People new to Corvettes look at the prices and assume that 64s are a lesser car because of the lower asking price.

If you look at any group of similar vehicles, for instance:
First gen Camaro 67 68 69.
A 69 in the same basic configuration and condition as the 67 would bring 50 to 100% more cash. Same basic car but every newbie that has a big check book has to have the 69 because that's what's in the magazines.

On the other hand if you bought a 67 in 1980 versus a 64 you obviously made a better investment.
When people ask my opinion on purchasing a collector car i always tell them to buy the most expensive car they can afford.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:53 PM
corvetteed
Team Owner

Received 363 Likes on 250 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I agree with the other opinions about the desirability of the '64. All C-2's are desirable, right? My '64 is everything I'd wanted and I have no concerns about it not being a split window, or a BB, etc. If it makes you happy, go for it!
Old 08-20-2007, 01:04 PM
Glenn's 67 BB Vert
Melting Slicks

My first Vette was a 64 --i passed on the 63 as the coupe bar bothered me loved the 64 and wish i could have it back --the guy i sold it to still has it and won't part with it so i had to settle for a 67 vert with a bb Oh well enjoy the 64 and save the wave please--glenn
Old 08-20-2007, 01:07 PM
66427-450
Safety Car

Received 436 Likes on 317 Posts

Tastes are a personal thing…… but there are some traits that it seems most (not all) people tend to share, not that the others that differ are wrong or anything.

For me personally, the 65, 66 and 67 have all the right stuff; solid lifter BB engines with 400+ HP, big bulging hoods, side exhausts, the more modern instruments/interior, real/functional side vents to enhance cooling, 4 piston disk brakes than won’t fade during track days/or HD use. Of those, I personally picked the 66 as optimum.

Then there’s the 63 FI Coupe, the original Sting Ray, the Mother of all Hi-Perf mid-years……. in another, but similar class.

Then there’s the 64, a very nice car to be sure (and owners have no reason to feel slighted, my first Vette was a 64 FI/F40 Vert, I loved the car, and held it’s own against any of the SB cars out there), but they have none of the above…..….

Just one perspective.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:13 PM
hogan64
Racer

Best looking car for the money !!

It's an "entry level" midyear.

Last edited by hogan64; 08-20-2007 at 03:44 PM.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:14 PM
Vipermike
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Back when I was in high school there were three sisters, each one year apart in age. All three of them were extremely attractive girls but the youngest was just slightly less attractive than the other two. When the three girls went out together all of the guys would go crazy over the 2 oldest girls but pay no attention to the youngest. However, in spite of being slightly less desirable than her sisters, the youngest was still the prettiest girl in her class and was elected homecoming queen in her senior year.

So desirability is all relative; only when compared to the cream of the crop (the other mid-years) is the '64 considered less desirable by some.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:20 PM
SilverC1
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

The other thing is that price differentiation between the different years of C2's will probably lessen over time, at least for comparable "rarity" and equipages of options, etc. It used to be that '58-'60's were considered to be the least-desirable of the C1 years - too much chrome, and too heavy looking, compared to the leaner/cleaner 56-57 and somewhat more modern looking 61-62. But I think now they're just as popular (and pricy) as other sub-groups of C1's. Different pluses and minuses, but not viewed as "lesser".

Prior to buying my '59 (back in 1981) I was originally looking at mid-year Sting Rays. The very first car I looked at was a gorgeous red '64, 300 HP vert with a white top. But it was also the very first car I looked at, and I was too unsure of my lack of knowledge, and my ability to tell a good deal from a bad deal, to buy it. In retrospect I should have bought it - it was the nicest car I looked at, out of 10 or so different C2's. Then I ended up buying the first C1 I looked at!

Any C1 or C2 is a great car!

Get notified of new replies

To What' wrong with '64

Old 08-20-2007, 01:26 PM
glenn64vette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Procrastination Racing
It is true, they are "undesirable" and as such, I have decided to offer the world an opportunity by using my large lot to collect these undesirable cars and remove them from being a public eyesore and menace.

Once you have sealed the deal on this undesirable car, you, too, can help the world be a better place by sending it to me to be hiddened from the world so that no one is forced to look upon a '64 Corvette.

PM me for directions once you get the car. I wish to keep the whereabouts secret to prevent anyone getting in and contaminating the world by removing these undesirable '64 Corvettes. You will need to send the title for it in your name along with the car so that I know it isn't stolen. In order for me to have custodial rights, you will need to sign and date the title. I will fill out the rest.

With a little help, I'm sure we can all eliminate the undesirable '64 Corvettes from America and any place else.

I have already started this with the undesirable '68 Corvettes. If you unfortunately find one of those, we can handle it the same way.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:27 PM
tombachmann
Instructor

Originally Posted by hogan64
Best looking car for the money !!

It's a "entry level" midyear.

That is a beautiful Car! Same exterior that I am looking at. Riverside red with Knock Off Wheels. Only difference is the one for Sale has a Red interior - not my 1st choice either on a Red car - but the inside is in perfect condition.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:37 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Hogan,
Very nice!!! I would not hesitate to buy a 1964 but one C2 is all I can afford.

Quick Reply: What' wrong with '64