C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

NCRS Tech Board Wars?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 06:03 PM
MidYearRoadster
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts

Default Ahhhhhhhh

ARE WE FREEEEKN DONE BEATING THIS DEAD HORSE AGAIN......read all the boards ..pick what you need from them then go play with your cars and be happy.....some like to look at them ..some like to wax them some like to drive the heck out of them....whatever floats your boat ..but this subject time and time again is kind of weird.... I did belong to NCRS when I first got my car ...then I said..its really not for me...I hang with hot rodders....vette people....car people in general...its all good people.....dont let the small stuff worry you..enjoy life its way to damn short to get worked up about a bunch of letters...NCRS or ......forum. ok im done..time for a cocktail....
Old 08-18-2007, 06:25 PM
w1ctc
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The NCRS could have been the biggest and most influential car group ever. If they had changed their focus years ago and made it the “N Chevy RS”. Different divisions for 55-57, 58-64 and 65-72 Chevys. The inclusion of all those groups with the same insistence of quality and originality that is applied to Corvettes would have been huge. The current exclusionary thinking could lead to a smaller and smaller membership as the cars and people they include, decline. They should not reduce their standards. I’m sure that the constant attention to original cars has nudged many racers and street rodders to chose other models, saving many a Corvette. It must also be mentioned that the NCRS has been partly responsible for the increased monetary value of older Corvettes. I have never been a member as my interests differ from theirs. I remember when I first heard about how someone lost points in a show somewhere. He had the wrong color battery caps. Most of us thought it was kind of funny. Not so funny now, especially to the guys that pulled off that stupid FI, dumped in the trash and put on a big Holley.
Old 08-18-2007, 06:27 PM
67BETE
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Many of those people, and some even over here really need to get a life!
Old 08-18-2007, 07:17 PM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 565 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by emccomas
This has been a sore point with many members for years.

How about this solution. Members can select either hard copy delivery or electronic delivery.

Electronic delivery would be in the form of a members only area of the web site, with issue posted at a specific date and time for each issue.

Hard copy delivery would be via first class mail. Members who select this option would absorb the additional costs of mailing.

The software to manage this issue is trivial, and readily available commercially.

Just need to decide how to correlate electronic posting date with first class mailing date to give everyone a equal shot at "simultaneous" access. Won't be perfect, but should be close.
Excellent idea, Ed.

NCRS has beaten this idea of the electronic Driveline vs. First Class Mail vs. ??? for years.

Personally, I rarely buy anything from Driveline ads, but many others do. Chuck
Old 08-18-2007, 07:55 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

I read a brief article in the "Restorer" on the subject of C2 louvered splash vents to decrease cabin heat. Particularly for a C3 and C2 car without A/C in July. Sounded like a great idea so I contacted the author last winter. He very kindly had a set made for me based on his patterns. A very nice gesture.

With some enthusiasm for the hobby I posted a scanned version of the article here before the summer 2007 arrived. I was immediately chastised off-line for publishing NCRS material in an open forum. Being a little slow I thought NCRS meant preserving, and driving, Corvettes not just pulling them up to shows on trailers. I was very surprised for being a person who just wanted to share a tip??

So blast away, here is the article.

BYW, Arland. They do work. My 1967 Coupe is cooler this summer. You did good.

Last edited by Paul L; 08-18-2007 at 08:28 PM.
Old 08-18-2007, 07:57 PM
Seaside63
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

My original post was to guage opinions of the value of open forums like Corvette Forum and others compared to the NCRS. In my opinion I gain much more usable information here.

I also wanted to see what readers thought about the NCRS closing access to their tech board.

I would like to comment on a few of the responses I've read...

1) "The Driveline".

The NCRS guys are worried to death that a non-member might be able to read a classified ad for a Corvette item and maybe even purchase that item.

What this means to me... while they claim to be promoting Corvette restoration they are actually hindering it. They are saying that regular (non-worthy) people should not be able to buy quality parts for their Corvettes. They would rather protect their little club than truly allow Corvettes to be restored.

2) "The NCRS guys don't use computers".

Well, boo f'n hoo. They probably don't use telephones or ride in them new-fangled aer-o-planes either.

3) "NCRS has created all these great repro parts".

I argue that NCRS does not help the reproduction parts supply. They hate reproduction parts. And looking at any other collectible cars you can find tons and tons of beautiful quality reproduction parts. Look What Dan-Chuk has done for the 55-57 Bel Air. (They don't have an NCRS for '57 Chevys)

4) "Value of our cars".

In the last decade, Camaro and Mopar prices have kicked our collective butts. (And they don't have an NCRS for Camaros, either).

I don't hate the NCRS but I have to laugh at their self importance while watching them strangle themselves.
Old 08-18-2007, 08:53 PM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 729 Likes on 623 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by paul67
I read a brief article in the "Restorer" on the subject of C2 louvered splash vents to decrease cabin heat. Particularly for a C3 and C2 car without A/C in July. Sounded like a great idea so I contacted the author last winter. He very kindly had a set made for me based on his patterns. A very nice gesture.
Paul
I sure wish i could find someone down here in Florida that could do that for my 62 splash pans... (i've looked, even wrote the guy that did yours...)
Bill
Old 08-18-2007, 09:21 PM
SPLITRAY
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Seaside63
My original post was to guage opinions of the value of open forums like Corvette Forum and others compared to the NCRS. In my opinion I gain much more usable information here.

I also wanted to see what readers thought about the NCRS closing access to their tech board.

I would like to comment on a few of the responses I've read...

1) "The Driveline".

The NCRS guys are worried to death that a non-member might be able to read a classified ad for a Corvette item and maybe even purchase that item.

What this means to me... while they claim to be promoting Corvette restoration they are actually hindering it. They are saying that regular (non-worthy) people should not be able to buy quality parts for their Corvettes. They would rather protect their little club than truly allow Corvettes to be restored.

2) "The NCRS guys don't use computers".

Well, boo f'n hoo. They probably don't use telephones or ride in them new-fangled aer-o-planes either.

3) "NCRS has created all these great repro parts".

I argue that NCRS does not help the reproduction parts supply. They hate reproduction parts. And looking at any other collectible cars you can find tons and tons of beautiful quality reproduction parts. Look What Dan-Chuk has done for the 55-57 Bel Air. (They don't have an NCRS for '57 Chevys)

4) "Value of our cars".

In the last decade, Camaro and Mopar prices have kicked our collective butts. (And they don't have an NCRS for Camaros, either).

I don't hate the NCRS but I have to laugh at their self importance while watching them strangle themselves.
To all the above...but NCRS seems as though it will always have viability as long as statements like "NCRS TOP FLIGHT" pulls in an extra $10 or 20K for a seller.
Old 08-18-2007, 11:45 PM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

4) "Value of our cars".

I said something similar in C3 Gen a few weeks ago - I feel that the extremely vocal Holy Church of the Matching Number has hurt overall Corvette prices more than anything. You don't see the Mustang Thoroughbred guys chastising the rodders for destroying a classic Mustang...
Old 08-19-2007, 12:16 AM
LT1driver
Le Mans Master

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

I am a member of long standing, don't read the board, don't go to maybe 1 event every 5 years, but like the magazine and appreciate the work many have done over the years to make the hobby better and the rest of us informed. Those who don't like the ncrs, don't join, don't look at the board and
GET YOURSELF A LIFE, as many mothers used to say and many here and other places should heed: if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all. There is a place for every board and everyone, frequent only the ones the fit you and leave the others to their own ways. nuff said. peace be with you.
Old 08-19-2007, 12:32 AM
Plastic Pig
Live Free or Die
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: One thing is for sure this kind of discourse and BS would not be tolerated on the NCRS forum. Ohio
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1driver
Those who don't like the ncrs, don't join, don't look at the board and
GET YOURSELF A LIFE
, as many mothers used to say and many here and other places should heed: if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all. There is a place for every board and everyone, frequent only the ones the fit you and leave the others to their own ways. nuff said. peace be with you.

I guess your mother never told you.......

Last edited by Plastic Pig; 08-19-2007 at 10:36 AM.
Old 08-19-2007, 12:54 AM
Blkblt
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MidYearRoadster
ARE WE FREEEEKN DONE BEATING THIS DEAD HORSE AGAIN......read all the boards ..pick what you need from them then go play with your cars and be happy.....some like to look at them ..some like to wax them some like to drive the heck out of them....whatever floats your boat ..but this subject time and time again is kind of weird.... I did belong to NCRS when I first got my car ...then I said..its really not for me...I hang with hot rodders....vette people....car people in general...its all good people.....dont let the small stuff worry you..enjoy life its way to damn short to get worked up about a bunch of letters...NCRS or ......forum. ok im done..time for a cocktail....

I'm an NCRS member. I love this forum. In the end, all of this is pretty much bull pucky.

Just drive'em.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:31 AM
killain
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 516 Likes on 314 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
Oldtimer

Default NCRS board and it's future overall.

Originally Posted by Vettebuyer5869
Wow, I'll just not understand the venom against NCRS on this forum sometimes. No, it hasn't outlived its usefulness.

And, in response to your other remark, no offense to this forum but in the world of getting technical (oops, sorry, "historical") Corvette-related questions answered and answered correctly, the NCRS board beats this one hands down. There are quite a few people who offer good information here, but there is such a glut of newbies and simply incorrect information tossed around by wannabe experts. I get Corvette-specific answers there quickly and correctly. I don't know if you are "alone" in thinking otherwise, but I disagree.

One true statement though, is the fact their board is technically outdated and painfully inefficient. They desperately need some new blood in the website area (and a few other areas, of course).

Regarding the OPs original point (the NCRS hate notwithstanding), what's wrong with members only posting there? You often can't read online periodicals without a subscription, so it's not a totally unheard of idea. Plus, with the explosion of the 'Net, and the influx of a lot of potential posters who just might waste a lot of bandwidth, I think its a good idea. Not every site needs to be a wide-open free for all.
You make some VERY good points with your reply. But as a member I do not see a very sustainable future for the NCRS. The old time members are a rough crowd and unless the orginization can attract young men and women into it's ranks it's gonna fold. Membership dues are down and the number of C-1 to C-3 and C-4 cars that are able to be restored correctly by a younger crowd is simply not there. Don't get me wrong, I love the NCRS, but the amount of concern about the future by the cranky old timers is nil, and I've seen it declining over the years. We're all getting older, I'm 57 and save for a handful of truly enthusiastic members who welcome newcomers at the meets and judging events, I haven't seen any interest by the current membership to enlist the young people into our group. There arn't even any C-1 to C-3 cars avilable that are items worth restoring left out there. almost all are already in the hands of member or dealers who want 50 grand for something in boxes or so shabby it's got to be completely restored. the rest are garage queens that are never driven or even see sunlight. Please remember I'm not speaking about all, just most. any club or orginization that can't encourge and welcome new members is doomed. It's an elite club and conducts itself as such. With Gasoline costing $3 to 4 dollars a gallon, and not to mention the ricers catching all the attention, what other areas does the NCRS have to encourge young people to join?

Last edited by killain; 08-19-2007 at 09:34 AM.
Old 08-19-2007, 12:10 PM
RoadVettes
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by MidYearRoadster
I applaud your wisdom, sir .

I belong to to NCRS and also read/post on the CF. spend more time here on the forum but appreciate both for what they are. If I didn't enjoy them I just wouldn't participate. This is my hobby/passion I only do it for fun .

Charlie
Old 08-19-2007, 12:43 PM
MidShark
Melting Slicks

Received 279 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by wmf62
that aside; my understanding is that there is a BIG problem with insiders or early receivers of the Driveline snapping up all the good deals before the general membership is even aware of them.
Bill

I was SHOCKED when I read this!............... There are good deals in the driveline?

Actually, I would see nothing wrong with both a general classified section online, and a "Members Only" section as well. The member makes it available to whichever he wants- his buddies or the general public. After all, it is a club! The Chevelle website I frequent does it this way and I have no problem with it. (I am not a member there, but I could be!)

Rich
Old 08-19-2007, 02:39 PM
Olustee bus
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Blkblt

I'm an NCRS member. I love this forum. In the end, all of this is pretty much bull pucky.

Just drive'em.
Bull pucky? now that's a little harsh don't you think?
Old 08-19-2007, 03:33 PM
deanoshiro
Instructor

Default 4 cents

See new thread
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1790096

Last edited by deanoshiro; 08-19-2007 at 08:18 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To NCRS Tech Board Wars?

Old 08-19-2007, 05:13 PM
deanoshiro
Instructor

Default great!

......I don't hate the NCRS but I have to laugh at their self importance while watching them strangle themselves.

Last edited by deanoshiro; 08-19-2007 at 05:15 PM.
Old 08-19-2007, 10:05 PM
magicv8
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by paul67

With some enthusiasm for the hobby I posted a scanned version of the article here before the summer 2007 arrived. I was immediately chastised off-line for publishing NCRS material in an open forum. Being a little slow I thought NCRS meant preserving, and driving, Corvettes not just pulling them up to shows on trailers. I was very surprised for being a person who just wanted to share a tip??

So blast away, here is the article.
OK, I will.

IMO the article is as old as the thought. My car came with the shields removed by previous owners to promote cooling. After making the mistake of reinstalling them, I removed them in TX while on Power Tour, so the A-C could cope with the heat. Since then I replaced them with aluminum heat shields, lighter, cooler pass way more air under ther car.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:54 AM
Procrastination Racing
Le Mans Master

Received 250 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by wmf62
Paul
I sure wish i could find someone down here in Florida that could do that for my 62 splash pans... (i've looked, even wrote the guy that did yours...)
Bill
I know a guy over here in Ocala that used to have a louver press. I'm not sure if he still has it, but I'll check the next time I see him.

Quick Reply: NCRS Tech Board Wars?