C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Exhaust experts - would this work?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 08:59 AM
crw41
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Exhaust experts - would this work?

I am running with a chambered exhaust.

The only time I wish it was quieter is on LONG trips. Sometime this fall I amy be taking a 300+ mile trip.

With a 2.5 inch chambered exhaust that is clamped together, is it possible to put mufflers on the rear temporarily?

The system comes in 3 sections with the last section having the same sort of shape as a muffler, but it's just a pipe.

This last pipe section slides over the pipe from the front part of the car and is clamped (it's 2.5 inch).

Is it possible to clamp mufflers on - such that I would have "chambered pipes" up to the point of the mufflers.

When desired, I would then just slide off the mufflers and put the end pipe pieces back on.

Has anyone ever done this?
Old 08-17-2007, 09:12 AM
wmf62
Race Director

Received 728 Likes on 622 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

a good idea; i see no reason why it won't work. you can have a muffler shop make you a pair of 'shorty' mufflers to fit in that space...
Bill
Old 08-17-2007, 10:00 AM
misfit1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Use stainless band clamps, they don't crush the pipes.
Dave
Old 08-17-2007, 10:18 AM
Road machine
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 164 Posts

You could even plumb in a muffler with a diverter so that you could have this as a permanent set up. when you want the rumble just turn the diverter so that you run chambered pipes only. when you want quiet turn the diverter so that the exhaust is diverted into the mufflers.

Get notified of new replies

To Exhaust experts - would this work?

Quick Reply: Exhaust experts - would this work?