C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Front Air Dam

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 03:26 PM
magicv8
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by macdarren
I really like the Grill, but I know it is not likely I will do that I know it is rather unique.... Also I like the relocation of the plate...I may just be able to put the front plate back on if I do that....what exactly did you do to lower it?

Magic can you tell us if the spoiler is just bolted on....looks almost like it could be held on with existing hardware, I know there are a couple bolts under the chin area (not sure that would be enough) and also a gap between the factory fiberglass and the radiator support which you might use as another hard point.
The air dam is held on by the two bolts that anchor the nose support rods. Here's the pic from my web site details page at http://www.corvetteforum.net/classic...e/index5.shtml

Look for the .25x20 bolts next to the bumper brackets.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:00 PM
00fxd
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

From personal experience I am a true beliver in the stabilizing effects of a front air dam. This seems to be re-enforced by the fact that just about all production cars have had them as original equipment for many years. I too installed a first gen Camaro one on the front of my Corvette some years ago.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:29 PM
glenn64vette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 00fxd
From personal experience I am a true beliver in the stabilizing effects of a front air dam. This seems to be re-enforced by the fact that just about all production cars have had them as original equipment for many years. I too installed a first gen Camaro one on the front of my Corvette some years ago.

F-body parts I can get right here at work. Do you have pics or information on what you did to fit the 1st gen Camaro spoiler?
Old 08-22-2007, 05:58 PM
macdarren
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks MagicV8,

Wow if it is a two bolt deal I am in....I will wait to hear how the eckler one fits and mounts but I think I like the straighter flatter look I see on MagicV8s car....but it is hard to really tell how much difference there is from photos. This is something I have long wanted to do and now is the time....looking forward to our original posters install and photos.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:32 PM
Howy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Side view,not my best picture but you get the idea.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 08-22-2007, 09:12 PM
maroon67
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice web site magicv8!
Very informative.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:41 PM
babbah
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 103 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by bweaver999
Here is the Ecklers link:
http://www.ecklers.com/product.asp?p...7&dept_id=1353

Curious if you are doing it for looks or cooling?
If you are running bumpers, you will have to cut out (notch) the 2 sides where the bumpers will protrude through the spoiler. No bumpers, no cutting required. Enjoy!
Old 08-22-2007, 09:43 PM
SatanicMechanic
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Air dam arrived, did not install yet.

I'm no expert on fiberglass, but all in all it seems decent quality, gray finish. I have to notch it for the bumpers, but it seems to be the same piece as Howy's if you want the visual.

It came predrilled with 3 holes that don't seem to align with any existing bolts, and the center hole is slightly off-center. That's minor, can redrill.

I think however that I prefer MagicV8's damn dam, particularly for the endcap design (minus the deer things...). Before I install this one and end up less than happy with it, I'd rather order from Magic's man. Group purchase anyone?

To Magic, you said you've had yours for over 15 years? Is the maker going to have any idea WTF I'm talking about if I call asking for Magic's air dam?

So......anyone interested in a brand new un-notched Ecklers front air dam? It was $120, I'll sell it for $100 plus shipping, unless you're within driving distance hehehe...

Old 08-23-2007, 12:48 AM
00fxd
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by glenn64vette
F-body parts I can get right here at work. Do you have pics or information on what you did to fit the 1st gen Camaro spoiler?
Glen, I cut a couple of notches for the bumper brackets, drilled some very small holes in the front valence and used small dia screws [#6's] to attach. The Camaro air dam is a touch too wide for the car maybe a 1/2 - 3/4 of an inch per side but you can't really tell unless your laying on your back under the car.
Old 08-23-2007, 01:12 AM
ronaustin
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Here's a couple pictures of mine

Old 08-23-2007, 01:43 AM
bweaver999
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SatanicMechanic
To Magic, you said you've had yours for over 15 years? Is the maker going to have any idea WTF I'm talking about if I call asking for Magic's air dam?
Probably not if you ask for Magic's air dam. Magic indicated he had a mold so if you call him and explain you bought one from Ecklers but saw one of his you like better he should have a good idea what you want. Can't believe he would have more than one mold for a C2. If he has access to the internet, point him here.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:28 AM
macdarren
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mechanic....

I'll second a group buy, assuming a realistic price on a par with the eckler piece...thats a group of 2 so far.

It is the flatter shape and ends that I like better too...less the deer whistles..I'm pretty sure any city deer around here will hear me comming miles away...

Let me know if you track it down, I'll do the same...

Thanks
Darren
Old 08-23-2007, 12:09 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,167 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by macdarren
Mechanic....

I'll second a group buy, assuming a realistic price on a par with the eckler piece...thats a group of 2 so far.

It is the flatter shape and ends that I like better too...less the deer whistles..I'm pretty sure any city deer around here will hear me comming miles away...

Let me know if you track it down, I'll do the same...

Thanks
Darren

I too would be interested. When I had the restification done on the '64, they were supposed to put the Z28 air dam on (I even provided it), but they didn't.

If this is a simple bolt on (and already notched would be great), I could be in on this. A little Krylon Semi-flat black, and we'd be good to go.

Old 08-23-2007, 12:36 PM
glenn64vette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 00fxd
Glen, I cut a couple of notches for the bumper brackets, drilled some very small holes in the front valence and used small dia screws [#6's] to attach. The Camaro air dam is a touch too wide for the car maybe a 1/2 - 3/4 of an inch per side but you can't really tell unless your laying on your back under the car.
Thanks for the info!!! I'm going to take a look at an F body spoiler today.

I forgot; Did you use a 67 -68 or 69 spoiler?

Last edited by glenn64vette; 08-23-2007 at 12:39 PM.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:39 PM
SatanicMechanic
Instructor

I called an hour or so ago, there was no answer after about 15 rings. Will try again later, and give a heads up that he may have multiple orders of the piece to mold.

And yes, I have a little more sense than to call asking for Magic's air dam , but sometimes it can help to have the name of the customer who referrered you, especially 15 years later.

As for the shape, I definitely prefer the endcaps of Magic's, the way they truncate and fold back instead of meeting the parking lights. The straight angle looks mean, while the curved Ecklers piece has a sort of classy appearance. Personal preference is all it really comes down to.

And those deer things, man, I had a buddy who put a set of those on backwards, damn deer followed him all over Jersey for the entire season.

By the way, the Ecklers piece was $119, not $120, so a whopping $19 dollar discount for any of you liking the look.

Old 08-23-2007, 12:53 PM
babbah
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 103 Likes on 97 Posts

Magic's airdam is better looking, larger front lip (More airflow) and the end caps are nice.....Go with that one. Where can you get it?
I assume that Magic's comes unnotched?
Ecklers is cool with returns

Last edited by babbah; 08-23-2007 at 01:08 PM.
Old 08-23-2007, 01:03 PM
silverslashstreak
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree, Magics' air dam is the best looking one, let us know if you find one like it.

Jeff

Get notified of new replies

To Front Air Dam

Old 08-23-2007, 02:29 PM
magicv8
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by SatanicMechanic

If you get the call through to Mid valley, tell Mike that Dave posted a pic of the air dam he made from a mold of the the original on the white roadster with the MAGICV8 plates.

The old original was flimsy and lighter. Over the years, I damaged it and had to repair it a couple of times, since the original maker was out of business. Along the way I modified it: to keep it an inch higher off the ground, and to have bumper holes. Mike made a mold of it the last time it was damaged, and gave me a stiff repop of it a few years ago.

I just tried calling MidValley and got no answer too. If I get time later, I'll go see Mike and ask why he doesn't answer. I know collision shops get noisy, and phones get ignored. He's running a body shop, not a mail order company, so phone answering is such a low priority he doesn't have an answering machine or a cell phone.
Old 08-23-2007, 02:44 PM
Cobra66
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=toddalin;1561622389]I too would be interested. When I had the restification done on the '64, they were supposed to put the Z28 air dam on (I even provided it), but they didn't.

If this is a simple bolt on (and already notched would be great), I could be in on this. A little Krylon Semi-flat black, and we'd be good to go.[QUOTE]

Add my name (and my '64) to the list of interested parties, especially if a pre-notched unit is offered.

Question, Toddalin: Why not paint the unit the same as your new body color? I'd think about painting mine Emine White, although black would probably work just fine given the color of my hood's stinger/interior.
Old 08-23-2007, 02:49 PM
SatanicMechanic
Instructor

The ball is rollin'.

I just got off the phone with Mike Snelling at Mid Valley, seems like a nice guy, didn't take long to pin down who's car I was talking about. He said he'd have his guy lay the piece and give me a call when it was done. I also told him he may be getting more calls than just mine, it seems to be a hit of a design.

He also said that the mold itself isn't totally perfect after pulling it from Magic's car, but I have no problem doing a little finishing work. It'll most likely end up being flat or semi-gloss black anyway, and I think in the end it'll have exactly the look I am going for.

So, will update when there is something to update.

Mike also asked if I knew of anyone who might be interested in L88 427 hood inserts (underside I believe) that he either made or was able to make. Apparently someone got a deal on an original, and Mike was able to make a mold from it. So anyone who might be interested...there ya go.

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread, and MagicV8 for the hookup.

Quick Reply: Front Air Dam