C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Oil Pressure Line Advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 10:19 PM
65 vette dude
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Oil Pressure Line Advice

I got my new oil pressure line from LICS today,so I now can reinstall my cluster. My stupid question is should I but teflon tape or some kind of thread sealer on the fitting at the gauge end. The reason I ask is because I had a heck of a time getting that nut off when I removed the gauge. I ended up having to cut the oil line. Also I certainly don't want any leaks down the road and have to pull that cluster again. Any chance the tape or sealer might work its way into the gauge? Thanks for your advice in advance.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:08 PM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 65 vette dude
I got my new oil pressure line from LICS today,so I now can reinstall my cluster. My stupid question is should I but teflon tape or some kind of thread sealer on the fitting at the gauge end. The reason I ask is because I had a heck of a time getting that nut off when I removed the gauge. I ended up having to cut the oil line. Also I certainly don't want any leaks down the road and have to pull that cluster again. Any chance the tape or sealer might work its way into the gauge? Thanks for your advice in advance.
No the brass fittings and soft copper lines do not need any sealant.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:08 PM
66BlkBB
Melting Slicks

Received 84 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by 65 vette dude
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Your new line should have come with a compression fitting, didn't it? There should be one on the fitting into the block and one on the fitting to the gauge. When I reinstalled mine, I simply tightened it up. Snug it up at first and then tighten little by little. You may get a drip of oil at first but all you have to do it to keep tightening, a little at a time, until it stops. Do Not over tighten. I never used any sealant on the threads for either the block fitting or the gauge.

Steve
Old 08-08-2007, 12:16 AM
65 vette dude
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks guys,just wanted to be sure.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:59 PM
Grey Ghost
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a heck of a time with mine. Removing/installing the cluster wasn't even on par with the heck I went through with the oil pipe. First one I ordered was from CC - was a piece of junk. Then took Johnz advice and got the correct one from Paragon. It is a special fitting and no sealant is needed. Just make sure you have the correct wrench for the nut. It is very easy to round the corners on it. I know you will...but when you put the cluster back in and fire the car up. Have the wrench by your side IF it needs a little more snugging up. Don't over tighten it to start with. Lay on your back and shine a flashlight to make its not leaking while running. Also check where it goes into the engine block.

I get the "pucker factor" more when I hear about this subject than ANY other item on the car

Get notified of new replies

To Oil Pressure Line Advice

Quick Reply: Oil Pressure Line Advice